Spec me a large diesel hatchback around £1300

Soldato
OP
The new motor, glad I went for this in the end. I really like how quirky it is. Audi A2 1.4 TDI 75. A 2004 plate with only 67k miles so the smooth 3 cylinder diesel is only just run in & its got plenty of poke for the roads... Coming from a Celica whose power band was between 6200-8200rpm this is taking some getting used to as its so counter intuitive to rely on the low end grunt of this mighty 3 cylinder. A full & extensive history with belt done 2 years ago. £1760 plus I paid £130 get the heater blower replaced with a new genuine Audi blower too but with the Audi scratched off lol. The previous owner left a M.Costa dongle hooked up the Concert stereo so as soon as I step in the car it starts playing songs from my phone, yay. Its all aluminium with amazing fuel economy so I'd say it was 20 years ahead of its time. Battery in the boot & no spare wheel with a removable back seat it's certainly quirky. It's the best car I've ever driven though, mainly due to it's ride height & its like a Tardis inside with a huge dashboard & nimble nose. Absolutely love it.

Glam shot here, gotta make it look spiffing.
i1y2cy.jpg

Harmonious clash of an economical car vs the recycling behind.
2dt3y9l.jpg

Some sweet lines.
2my99ch.jpg

Even the chassis is aluminium. Ain't seen a spec of rust anywhere lol.
68g2me.jpg

The live on-board MPG display regularly shows over 100 MPG so I'm gonna have to work it out over time for the journeys I take.
b3qw02.jpg

Associate
Just FYI.
Take it to stealth racing for a remap - easy 100+bhp
Remove wheels and put mk1 tt on with eco tyres
Research a2 3l parts
Say hi to 70+ mpg

(Forgot 6 speed gearbox for maybe 80 mpg)

Soldato
OP
Just FYI.
Take it to stealth racing for a remap - easy 100+bhp
Remove wheels and put mk1 tt on with eco tyres
Research a2 3l parts
Say hi to 70+ mpg

(Forgot 6 speed gearbox for maybe 80 mpg)
Thanks.
Still getting used to driving at low revs :cool: & the average MPG is increasing as I learn the sweet spot in the revs.
I suppose even 90HP would be nice as it does struggle up steep hills sometimes & the MPG plummets, but make up for it on the return journey :D Although the insurance for this 75HP racer is higher than the 190HP Celica... WTF
I heard TT wheels catch the ABS line :confused: The wheels on it ATM are standard size & the 205/40/17 tyres worry me over the cratered moon roads around here.
I'll have to look into a2 3l parts, ta.
I heard a £90 anti-roll bar at the rear helps with body roll.
Oh, she handles better in the wet than the Celica... whose middle name was understeer with the slightest drop of rain.

Associate
Bit of a strange result but fair enough :).

I've got a Diesel Mk3 Mondeo and other than the common DMF and Clutch its been pretty solid. Just clocked over 150k recently. Bought it around 83k miles and paid just over £2000 at time.

A friend of mine gave me his old one with 204k on it as he was going to scrap it. He'd bought a new car and the Mondeo had dumped it's coolant all over the road and had various issues. After changing a £20 hose, £10 starter solenoid and lubricating the heater fan, it was pressed into service. It's still running fine 3 years and 36k miles later. The average distance to the moon is 238900 miles and the cars mileage is over 240k now so it's new nickname is the Moondeo! :)

Soldato
A friend of mine gave me his old one with 204k on it as he was going to scrap it. He'd bought a new car and the Mondeo had dumped it's coolant all over the road and had various issues. After changing a £20 hose, £10 starter solenoid and lubricating the heater fan, it was pressed into service. It's still running fine 3 years and 36k miles later. The average distance to the moon is 238900 miles and the cars mileage is over 240k now so it's new nickname is the Moondeo! :)

Haha nice. Mine has just clocked 167k and hasn't cost me anything for a long while.

Sounds like a tractor but seems to drive the same as it ever did :)

Soldato
The problem is the diesel Mondeo is a liability especially at 1300 quid.
I’d call mine the second best value for money car i’ve owned in the ten years i’ve Had it it’s thrown one big bill for a dmf and even that was only £750 at a local Indy parts are cheap as chips and any back street garage knows there way round them. Mine is now worth less than the roof box on top of it but I shall happily drive it till it dies!

Man of Honour
I’d call mine the second best value for money car i’ve owned in the ten years i’ve Had it it’s thrown one big bill for a dmf and even that was only £750 at a local Indy parts are cheap as chips and any back street garage knows there way round them. Mine is now worth less than the roof box on top of it but I shall happily drive it till it dies!

Wow, only £750 to fix a £1300 car! Great.

Soldato
Wow, only £750 to fix a £1300 car! Great.

My 2.0 TDCI cost me about £2k 3-4 years ago and it had 81000 miles on it. Now its on 167000 and I had to pay for a new clutch and flywheel for around £700 at 135000 miles. I personally think that is an acceptable running cost. I know my car and buying anything else for around 2k would be a minefield.

Surely it depends how many miles you get out of a £1300 car.

Back
Top Bottom