Self Assessment

Soldato
OK,

Before I start giving out template letters and advising this fella on how to claim his last 4 years back, can we nail this issue regarding salary sacrifice? It's niggling at me that it's been challenged a couple of times now.

I am weekly paid.
My wage slip has all the info on it, structured like this (personal info removed, obviously):

1. Total gross pay = £****

2. Deductions =
  • NI A = £***
  • PAYE = £***
  • Legal & General = £***

Total Paid = 1-2

I suggest that the above clarifies that it is not a salary sacrifice contribution. If it was then the pension contribution would normally be shown as a negative on the payments side after your gross pay, i.e. - £140 rather than as a deduction.

Soldato
His won't be salary sacrifice if his pension company is paying 20% into it.

Is he sure that is happening? Most employers salary sacrifice to save admin and NI.

Easiest way to work it out is:
  1. Take your gross salary.
  2. Multiply it by the % you ask them to pay.
  3. Is the amount that is deducted from your payslip less than that?
  4. Look at your pension statement. Do your contributions match what comes out of your payslip?
Your employer should be able to tell you if they salary sacrifice or if you need to claim the additional pension contribution.

I suggest that the above clarifies that it is not a salary sacrifice contribution. If it was then the pension contribution would normally be shown as a negative on the payments side after your gross pay, i.e. - £140 rather than as a deduction.

Not always. It depends on the employer's payroll software.

Soldato
@The_Abyss I've had a quick phone call to Legal & General and they have confirmed what you have said.

My pension payments are sent to the L&G fund in 2 lots; a sum from my employer and a sum from me. My wage slip also has separate yearly totals for my contributions and my employers contributions. This means that it is not salary sacrifice, because if it were then there would only be one contribution going to Legal & General.

@leaskovski can you confirm how your payments are made before I post the details on how to claim back 4 years.

Soldato
@The_Abyss I've had a quick phone call to Legal & General and they have confirmed what you have said.

My pension payments are sent to the L&G fund in 2 lots; a sum from my employer and a sum from me. My wage slip also has separate yearly totals for my contributions and my employers contributions. This means that it is not salary sacrifice, because if it were then there would only be one contribution going to Legal & General.

So L&G confirmed it is a relief at source pension rather than net pay scheme?

Soldato

@leaskovski can you confirm how your payments are made before I post the details on how to claim back 4 years.

Ive spoken to one of the finance guys at the firm I work with, and he agreed with me, that ours is not salary sacrifice, and that I should be claiming that extra tax back. My pension is paid, and my pension provider then pays 20% on top of my payment as a "tax relief".

That is a double confirming to me, so I should be putting it on my SA and getting that money back, and I should be calling them up with my previous pension statements to claim the last however many years I can claim back.

Man of Honour
Online is 31st Jan... paper was 31st October!
Ouch! I always do it online was didn't realise that. I had a lovely surprise this year. After submitting my latest return the HMRC wrote to me and said I no longer needed to do them each year. Niiiice :)

Soldato
I have to go to the bank on my lunch tomorrow. My own fault for leaving it to the last day but I was gona pay some of it with credit card, only to find out that the ***** have stopped you using a personal credit card. So now I hae to do a money transfer and pay it at the counter.
Shouldn't have left it to the last day :/ oopps.

Soldato
I have to go to the bank on my lunch tomorrow. My own fault for leaving it to the last day but I was gona pay some of it with credit card, only to find out that the ***** have stopped you using a personal credit card. So now I hae to do a money transfer and pay it at the counter.
Shouldn't have left it to the last day :/ oopps.

Yeah, this is highly annoying and the fall out from the credit card fees rule change, though i noticed business credit cards can still be used with a fee. I wonder if that still accepts personal credit cards via that option?

Back
Top Bottom