Any Toyota GT86 owners here.

Associate
For quite a few years now i have owned small cars but i have just bought a 15 plate GT86 Auto with 7,600 miles on the clock from my local Toyota dealer as i was looking for something to fill my midlife crisis LOL.

I traded in my 64 plate Aygo for it and was surprised to find that the insurance was only £70 a year more than the Aygo making it £380 for a year, not bad eh!

So i will be collecting it on Saturday Feb 3rd and look forward to driving her!!

Soldato
You're going to get some stick for buying an auto :p

But yes, there are quite a few owners on here. I've been tempted to look at one of these to eventually replace my MX5 but I'm not sure they offer enough on top of what my 5 does.

Soldato
Yep, had mine for about a year, having to sell up though as I'm leaving the country for a few months and have nowhere to keep it :(

37077136576_13c8101197_b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks mate, they're Work Emotion CR Kiwamis - at 9.5" they're probably a bit too wide for standard power, they look fantastic but it's a bit too much grip really. I sold mine - the guy who bought them is potentially selling them again though (check GT86.org.uk), he's running a supercharged 86 that would burn through tyres and thats an expensive game at that size. You can also buy them brand new through Driftworks.

Soldato
Had mine 4.5 years now, still love it even though it's too loud to go on track and needs some TLC to get it back to show condition. I'd be better off returning it to stock and selling it because it's not had a tank of fuel in nearly 3 months and spends most of its time sitting on my parents driveway so I can keep it hooked up to a battery charger :(

Love the car. Trying to do everything I can to keep it so I can hopefully do a road trip in it (so much space for bags/supplies!).

8657x1.jpg

Soldato
Yea had one just over a year now :)

I haven't really done much with it yet other than fix the cam cover oil leak.

Last edited:
Soldato
xTcpcgI.jpg

Had mine just over a year. Few minor mods (rear lights and exhaust). Got a parts bin (the conservatory haha!) with some Rays CE28's, suspension and camber bolts to go on later in the year. :)

Love mine even if it's completely the 'wrong' car for the driving I generally do. Gets so much positive attention out on the road as well.

Don
These keep popping up on my radar as a future purchase, but I just can't seem to get past their overall lack of power. I test drove one back when I owned my DC5 and it just felt too tame / lethargic, and now moving from my 2.0TFSI I think I would miss the punch of power (although I know power delivery would be overall smoother).

Beautiful cars though.

Soldato
You need to keep it above about 5k revs if you want to use the power. There's a lack of torque in the mid range and if you are going through that it will feel sluggish. A lot of people are to used to driving turbo cars now :D

Fitting a UEL manifold (£6-700) does fix that dip though.

Last edited:
Soldato
What are you looking for?

Manual, Grey, Preferably the quilted leather interior (may have to compromise and get the half leather as they're easier to find), definitely not cloth as the wife wants heated seats. Definitely not the red interior pack as it looks gash. Not crashed/mucked about with/not moon mileage. Not bothered whether it has the nav or not (can't afford to be that picky given the other requirements!) Will probably be a 2012/13 car. Prepared to go up to 15-16k for the right car if I have to but would prefer to spend 12/13ish.

The colour really limits my choices and most cars in this colour that aren't cloth seem to have the awful red interior option for some strange reason.

Soldato
These keep popping up on my radar as a future purchase, but I just can't seem to get past their overall lack of power. I test drove one back when I owned my DC5 and it just felt too tame / lethargic, and now moving from my 2.0TFSI I think I would miss the punch of power (although I know power delivery would be overall smoother).

Beautiful cars though.

A couple of grand on a manifold, exhaust and remap soon sorts that. There’s a huge hole in the torque band right around 3-4K rpm where you would expect things to liven up. Tuning Development’s package sorts that out :)

Manual, Grey, Preferably the quilted leather interior (may have to compromise and get the half leather as they're easier to find), definitely not cloth as the wife wants heated seats. Definitely not the red interior pack as it looks gash. Not crashed/mucked about with/not moon mileage. Not bothered whether it has the nav or not (can't afford to be that picky given the other requirements!) Will probably be a 2012/13 car. Prepared to go up to 15-16k for the right car if I have to but would prefer to spend 12/13ish.

Quilted leather is extremely rare and typically only found on the limited editions. It’s also not as nice as the half leathers (imho).

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Soldato
Personally I would steer clear of the quilted leather, too slidey considering the purpose of the car. It was also an expensive option so very rarely comes up and the grey seems to be a pretty rare colour too.

My ‘13 plate grey is up for sale but unfortunately doesn’t have the half leathers, it was an option I really wanted but couldn’t find in the time I had.

Back
Top Bottom