No more grid girls.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

No, I'm putting the question of who, that pays attention to, not necessarily viewers, of F1 do you think that F1 is trying to appease.

With strong emphasis that they are seeking approval from females who disapproved.

I don't think the noise is coming just from women though, there are lots of male voices saying they don't think grid girls are appropriate to the sport anymore.

Soldato
F1 is a dying sport. And gripping onto the past, with crap like grid girls, isn't going to slow that process.

They desperately need a younger audience, though it's hard to see how they'll get that with the disappearance of free to air in their developed markets.

Soldato
Reading a post of Reddit last night form a guy who's GF is a grid girl, they do much more than just stand there with a flag. They are basically hosts for corporate events and such over the weekend, considering that I'm guessing some will still be employed to do this. You just will not see them on the grid. At the end of the day this such a little detail that doesn't affect the sport at all. As Cheesyboy said F1 has much bigger problem of staying relevant, with it not of free TV anymore viewership is dwindling and factory as well as private teams aren't wanting to join as it will cost them too much money.

OcUK Staff
The people making these decisions, can someone line them up and shoot them all?

Seriously WTF, what is happening with the world, they make out like the girls were slaves, what they fail to release they did the job voluntary and because they got paid good money for doing so. Now these girls will earn less or even worse not have work, there is nothing wrong having good looking girls in sports and the fact is the girls really enjoy the work too. If people scream sexist, then fine mix it 50/50 with men and women, but to just stop it seems sad and puts people out of work/jobs.

I love Vettel's response best:

Last edited:
Soldato
The people making these decisions, can someone line them up and shoot them all?

I think you may be over-reacting somewhat.

The key issue here (which many in this thread are missing) is that young girls growing up are being given the impression that the best way in which they can be valued by society is to starve themselves silly, put on lots of makeup and a skimpy outfit, and parade around for men to lech at them? Kim Kardashian is a case in point. Its why so many young girl's main desire in life is 'to be famous'. There's so many more fulfilling things they can do; many of which wont ensure they are cast aside once they hit a certain age or start losing their looks.

I think we can do better.

Soldato
Is it women telling women what to do? Are the majority of F1 stakeholders not male?

Don't you think the stakeholders are reacting to what certain women's pressure groups have been asking for?
I think you may be over-reacting somewhat.

The key issue here (which many in this thread are missing) is that young girls growing up are being given the impression that the best way in which they can be valued by society is to starve themselves silly, put on lots of makeup and a skimpy outfit, and parade around for men to lech at them? Kim Kardashian is a case in point. Its why so many young girl's main desire in life is 'to be famous'. There's so many more fulfilling things they can do; many of which wont ensure they are cast aside once they hit a certain age or start losing their looks.

I think we can do better.

"Won't someone think of the children?"

Point is, that's a valid career/lifestyle if that's what they want to do. Not long ago we'd have women up in arms against "**** shaming" and not to judge women by what they wear, and if they want to wear skimpy clothes and flash the flesh, they are entitled to do so because it's their body and their choice.

Now it seems that's not allowed, even if that's what a woman wants to do because it makes them good money, contacts, and they actually like the work and the attention. Apparently women are not allowed to make their own choices, because people get "offended". It ends up being another way to take agency away from women by restricting their own choices.

Before the Kardashians and social media, there were models, pop stars, film stars, etc. No one suggested banning Marilyn Monroe because girls might want to emulate her when they grew up.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Don't you think the stakeholders are reacting to what certain women's pressure groups have been asking for?

No, because I don't think it's 'women's pressure groups' that have asked for this, nor what F1 mgmt are responding to.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom