only 20 days a yr hols

Permabanned
OP
Think you mean "Braggarts" old bean, but I get your point... 'twas merely said in jest with no harm to the OP's feelings intended. :)
none taken .. if you have worked hard thru school to get a job like that .well done enjoy the life you have worked for :)

other than the dyslexia.. I had parents that moved 11 times while I was at school .to Canada and then different parts of alberta .. always chasing the golden coin

Associate
OP, it sounds like your company are actually paying you your holiday days on the bank holidays you work as opposed to double pay, which would then equate to 20 days annual leave you can choose and the extra 8 that you company’s says you have to work (bank holidays).

Worth noting that your company can tell you when you have to take you holidays and when you cannot.....
https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/booking-time-off-

When leave can and can’t be taken
Employers can:

• tell their staff to take leave, for example bank holidays or Christmas
  • restrict when leave can be taken, for example at certain busy periods
There may be rules about this in the employment contract or it may be what normally happens in the workplace. The notice period for this is at least twice as long as the leave they want their staff to take.

Permabanned
OP
OP, it sounds like your company are actually paying you your holiday days on the bank holidays you work as opposed to double pay, which would then equate to 20 days annual leave you can choose and the extra 8 that you company’s says you have to work (bank holidays).

Worth noting that your company can tell you when you have to take you holidays and when you cannot.....
https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights/booking-time-off-

When leave can and can’t be taken
Employers can:

• tell their staff to take leave, for example bank holidays or Christmas
  • restrict when leave can be taken, for example at certain busy periods
There may be rules about this in the employment contract or it may be what normally happens in the workplace. The notice period for this is at least twice as long as the leave they want their staff to take.
yeah the only problem is I still have to work ..so there not holidays there work days ..so I still only get 20 days holidays ...
if I had the days off I would be fine with it ..

Associate
yeah the only problem is I still have to work ..so there not holidays there work days ..so I still only get 20 days holidays ...

Yep I feel your pain, it’s not fair but it is legal and happens all the time, especially in retail jobs. I know of some very large companies that have this policy, ones that are very careful with workers rights and law.

Associate
Then again..

http://m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4344

Contractually, it could also be that bank holidays are counted as part of the 5.6 weeks' statutory holiday entitlement given in the Working Time Regulations (WTR) - in which case, employees would need an additional day off in lieu to bring their total paid leave back up to the statutory minimum. It's against regulations to be paid instead of taking your minimum holiday entitlement, except on termination of employment.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

We still don't know you're working patternp If you worked on average 3.5 days a week, 20 days annual leave entitlement would be correct (or near enough).

Soldato
We still don't know you're working patternp If you worked on average 3.5 days a week, 20 days annual leave entitlement would be correct (or near enough).

hi ..
I work from 7am till 2pm then back at 4:30pm till 8:30pm 5 to 6 days a week
last year I had 1 week off in may 1 week off in july ...2 weeks off in jan I'm on a 0 day contract
there is no closed period and I work every bank holiday ..my days off are tue and some wed's

11hrs per day, 5 or 6 days per week. Low end 55hrs high end 66hrs per week.

Either one of two things is happening here, we are missing a key element either of the employment contract or the agreements around the rota (ie the employer is taking advantage of the OP but isn't breaking any laws in terms of holiday entitlement), or the employer is breaking the law.

From all the looking in to this that I have done, it really does seem like the OP is being short changed 8 days of annual leave through the year, so unless there is an 8 day period where the business is closed (enforced holiday period) then OP you might want a word with your employer. If you are going to do this I would keep a record of the conversations or do it via email, as if this were to lead to you losing your job, then you have a solid case for wrongful dismissal.

Soldato
As Amiga says, we still need to know what your working patterns are.

If you are only doing 3.5 days a week, then 3.5 x 5.6 (weeks) = 19.6 days annual leave.

In other words, if you have to book an entire week off of work, is that consuming 5 days from your 20 day allowance, or only 3.5?

Soldato
As Amiga says, we still need to know what your working patterns are.

If you are only doing 3.5 days a week, then 3.5 x 5.6 (weeks) = 19.6 days annual leave.

In other words, if you have to book an entire week off of work, is that consuming 5 days from your 20 day allowance, or only 3.5?

OP said he works 5-6 days per week roughly 11 hours per day. There is the pattern. Its pretty fair to assume that that is the norm rather then the exception otherwise OP is just leading us down the garden path.

Back
Top Bottom