Any Toyota GT86 owners here.

Soldato
Mine has the full leather, but I don't think it's a great quality leather (lol toyota interiors), so I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. I think it was just a spec option as mine's not limited edition.

It's only slippery just after you've cleaned it with some sort of product, otherwise they are fine. They are heated, but ridiculously inefficiently - I've had it take a good 10 minutes of being turned on before I've even felt anything before, whereas the heated seated in our Kia are warm within about 30 seconds.

Soldato
Yeah I've never had a problem with leather interiors before, I also still have some CG-Locks laying about that I could fit if needed. They used to make a massive difference when I've used them before. The qulited leather is purely an aesthetic thing though, I like the way it looks but accept that the alcantara is probably the more purposeful choice. How well does the alcantara wear?

Soldato
Mine has the full leather, but I don't think it's a great quality leather (lol toyota interiors), so I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. I think it was just a spec option as mine's not limited edition.

It's only slippery just after you've cleaned it with some sort of product, otherwise they are fine. They are heated, but ridiculously inefficiently - I've had it take a good 10 minutes of being turned on before I've even felt anything before, whereas the heated seated in our Kia are warm within about 30 seconds.

The poor heating is only a problem on the full leather seats apparently. The others heat up pretty quickly.

Yeah I've never had a problem with leather interiors before, I also still have some CG-Locks laying about that I could fit if needed. They used to make a massive difference when I've used them before. The qulited leather is purely an aesthetic thing though, I like the way it looks but accept that the alcantara is probably the more purposeful choice. How well does the alcantara wear?

The only bits that seem to wear are the edges of the leather bolsters, from people rubbing against them getting in/out. Which has started to happen on mine. The alcantara itself still looks fine and hasn't lost any shape either.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got heated leather in the Volvo and never use them (the a/c ventilated leather is a godsend though!), I've always found that by the time they're doing anything meaningful I've already warmed up enough anyway. Wife swears by them though and whacks them on full everytime she gets in the car when it's cold.

Soldato
A couple of grand on a manifold, exhaust and remap soon sorts that. There’s a huge hole in the torque band right around 3-4K rpm where you would expect things to liven up. Tuning Development’s package sorts that out :)

This, unfortunately, The torque dip is what lets the engine down. I spent some money this year and had a new manifold (ACE CS400), sports CAT and remap at Abbey Motorsport. The ACE header is the most expensive option, but seems the be the one which can most reliably flatten the torque curve and stay NA (and I was lucky enough to be able to buy mine second hand from a previous GT86 owner, so got a 30% discount on the parts).

The results are great though. It won't make the car a rocketship - overall power is still modest, the increase on mine was about a 10% increase on peak power, and it still needs to be worked to get the most out of it. But the torque delivery is now much more linear, so you don't get that feeling of just going nowhere when accelerating through the mid range.

Stock car green, my car after remapping in red.
uhmLj9A.jpg

Soldato
Alcantara on mine at 42k is fine - just needs a brushing down once in a while to keep it looking good.

Have heard the full leather seat heaters are useless, that said mine are pretty pants when compared to my wife's Merc. That thing literally sets your backside on fire, whereas my 86 is more a soothing warmth haha! :)

Soldato
Have heard the full leather seat heaters are useless, that said mine are pretty pants when compared to my wife's Merc. That thing literally sets your backside on fire, whereas my 86 is more a soothing warmth haha! :)

They're still nice to put on in cold weather, better than nothing and very warm once they get going - but they don't give you that instant heat which is the whole point of their existence.

Soldato
Yep, had mine for about a year, having to sell up though as I'm leaving the country for a few months and have nowhere to keep it :(

37077136576_13c8101197_b.jpg

Looks stunning, especially with those wheels. No interest on GT86 forums?

Soldato
You can rent garages off the council quite cheaply in places. Maybe see if theres any around. I was speaking to someone a while ago who uses one to store a classic car and only paid something like £20 a month.

Soldato
Thanks @DB_SamX I do miss the look of those wheels but you can definitely feel the extra width on stock power, if I was to boost it though I would get another set in an instant. Nah no interest yet but it's only been up for a couple of days - if it doesn't sell I'll look to see if I can rent a garage as Nasher says.

Raymond I thought it would too, especially coming from a 350z with all of its low down torque but I just don't find it that much of an issue 90% of the time, you just adjust to revving higher or dropping a gear every now and then. If I keep the car though I'll probably get a decat manifold and remap, gets rid of the dip and gives a healthy increase in peak torque.

Caporegime
Raymond I thought it would too, especially coming from a 350z with all of its low down torque but I just don't find it that much of an issue 90% of the time, you just adjust to revving higher or dropping a gear every now and then. If I keep the car though I'll probably get a decat manifold and remap, gets rid of the dip and gives a healthy increase in peak torque.

That's what I had to do with I had my Yaris, you just plan the overtaking earlier. These days I just put my foot down and the turbo kicks in with a Ssssssssssssss afterwards. lol

I prefer the pre-facelift styling too.

Back
Top Bottom