• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
oh ok that explains the markup of 400£ my bad ram prices right....

No, that's due to Retailers/Distributers putting up prices.

The point was that it's not just mining that's pushing up prices. There are several factors leading to the current situation.

Shortage of Ram, leading to AMD having very low stock.
Pascal at the end of life. Leading to Nvidia having very low stock.
Mini Mining Boom at the end of December and beginning of January which increased demand at a time when stocks were already very low.

Just a perfect storm of events.

Associate
Me too, best time to buy more!

Come on, crash crash crash...
funny, that's what ppl said when it droped from 19k to 12k, now they lost 30% of what they bought, pretty sure they are sayiing " come on , go up up up "
mining crypto is ok if you don't mind cashing out fool's money, but buying is just plain stupid imo, especialy with what's going on.

Associate
Going to pick up a Switch and play older games until this all blows over.

A fantastic idea. I have done the same and haven't looked back - Switch is an amazing gaming system. Only thing that draws me back to my PC for gaming is old games and World Of Tanks, which my current GPU can handle.

Soldato
Roll on Chinese New year , some factories down from 2-3 weeks ! Like when the launched Pascal just a few months before and cause a price hike due to shortage .
Silver lining , allow few more weeks for ram chips to bulk up if not produced in China ...

Associate
Going to pick up a Switch and play older games until this all blows over.

This. Everyone should just work on their backlog instead of spending so much time pondering upgrades, buying upgrades, and installing upgrades. People spend so much time on these forums talking about gaming, I do wonder if they spend equal time actually gaming. I’ve even fired up the GameCube over the past few days, and this morning I was playing Theme Hospital on PC :)

Soldato
This. Everyone should just work on their backlog instead of spending so much time pondering upgrades, buying upgrades, and installing upgrades. People spend so much time on these forums talking about gaming, I do wonder if they spend equal time actually gaming. I’ve even fired up the GameCube over the past few days, and this morning I was playing Theme Hospital on PC :)
Started playing XenoBlade 2 on Switch...that should keep me occupied for a while.

But dear lord the low res and no AA graphic make my eyes want to bleed! By the time I'm done with the game and get back to PC gaming I would probably have much lower expectation on graphic, and even 1080p with AA would look amazing rofl :D

Soldato
Just seen someone post up Nvidia selling FE cards at launch prices....

And out of stock.. pmsl
Got to give them credit for the pricing. Shame out of stock so quickly tho. Managed to get two 1070 FE Ti's back in Dec (now Sli gaming) and didn't realise how lucky I was to actually buy them in stock. At the time I think all cards were in stock too.

Caporegime
Haha, guilty. I haven't played a game for... months now. Still expanding my game collection tho. Gotta catch em all! ;)

Soldato
By the truck load.

:D

Mining here to stay folks. Deal with it!

:p
I will just say be careful what you say, the gamers might have the last laugh yet! :p. It's probably not going anywhere but it's not certain things will always be in favour of mining. There's hardly any decent profit in it ATM if you're looking for income, peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs. Too many miners, falling prices = likely short term doom IMO....and there's no guarantees mining at home will always be profitable anyway :). Cannot compete with the large farms.

Last edited:
Associate
I will just say be careful what you say, the gamers might have the last laugh yet! :p. It's probably not going anywhere but it's not certain things will always be in favour of mining. There's hardly any decent profit in it ATM if you're looking for income, peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs. Too many miners, falling prices = likely short term doom IMO....and there's no guarantees mining at home will always be profitable anyway :). Cannot compete with the large farms.

No reason for anyone to have the last laugh. Lisa Su her self said in the financial report that miners are not the reason for GPU shortages, it's a lack of memory supply. And with any form of shortages = higher prices.

Unless the horse's mouth is lying?! ;)

The 'must be the miners' brigade will choose to ignore that though.

Soldato
No reason for anyone to have the last laugh. Lisa Su her self said in the financial report that miners are not the reason for GPU shortages, it's a lack of memory supply. And with any form of shortages = higher prices.

Unless the horse's mouth is lying?! ;)

The 'must be the miners' brigade will choose to ignore that though.
I know, in life need to be wary of winding others up as things can quickly turn :).

Head of a company would never ever lie :).But I'm not saying she is, it's irrelevant to be honest, but mining itself may have peaks and troughs so more supply (lower mining demand) may hit the market and help bring prices down. It's not out of the question that mining might be unprofitable for a while and loads forced to offload their GPU's, bringing prices down, potentially quite a lot, at least used.
Any demand affects shortages BTW, rather obvious I know, but to say miners are not affecting it is incorrect.
And Ive done mining too btw.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom