Fiesta ST 2015 - will different tyres matter?

Associate
I've always found this idea that good tyres are only for people who push cars to the limit odd.

If I stop suddenly in an emergency I don't want the guy behind me in my boot because he 'only pootles to town and doesnt push his car to the limit' when that extra metre of braking distance might have been the difference..
The mid range tyres he's looking at are rated A for wet grip. Is that rating meaningless?
Many people buy much worse quality tyres than the ones the OP is looking at. Give the guy a break.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The mid range tyres he's looking at are rated A for wet grip. Is that rating meaningless?
Many people buy much worse quality tyres than the ones the OP is looking at. Give the guy a break.
Pretty much meaningless, yes.

TBH on a Fiesta ST, you'd want UHP tyres as you'll be driving harder than in a 1.0 Fiesta. Also, £60 in the grand scheme of things (I understand money being tight) isn't a big deal, thus it's worth the extra outlay.

FWIW I'd go with Goodyear, Conti or Michelin over Bridgestones anyway.

Associate
Sadly unless the car is under 18months (ish) I doubt it will have premium tyres, what ever the size and will be wearing the cheapest tyres the local garage or main dealer has the biggest profit on.

I've always found this idea that good tyres are only for people who push cars to the limit odd.

If I stop suddenly in an emergency I don't want the guy behind me in my boot because he 'only pootles to town and doesnt push his car to the limit' when that extra metre of braking distance might have been the difference..

Soldato

Those ratings are ********. Especially when it comes to budget tyres.

Last edited:
Associate

This is why my wife's C-Max now has Pilot sport 4 around. The extra £100 spent on tyres may be the difference between my wife and kids being involved in an accident or not. Very small price to pay for the reassurance that they've driving around with the best tyres available.

My wife now understands why i make a fuss about having good tyres having switched from some cheapo brand to the Michelin's.

The Avon's tyres do get some good reviews by uses, but then again Toyo T1R still get good reviews and these are garbage, so you need to be careful when reading through these.

Soldato
I am going to change the tires on my ST in April time and have looked around for advice. It's pretty much unanimous that the best tires for it are Michelin Pilot Sport 3's so that's what I will be going for then.

I have Continental Conti Sport Contact tires on just now and they're very good but getting lowish on tread.

Back
Top Bottom