18 days in San Francisco

Associate
We are heading to San Francisco at the end of April for 18 nights on our way to new Zealand.

So far we have booked 5 nights in the city at the beginning of our trip staying in the south of market area.

We have also booked 4 nights at the end of the trip at Yosemite.

We have booked a hire car for the whole 14 days we are not in the city.

So far we were thinking of heading south after San Francisco, going santa Cruz, big Sur and Monterey.

Considering we have 9 nights to play with does anyone have any ideas for the roadtrip south? Also any tips for San Francisco or Yosemite?

Thanks

Soldato
I literally just booked a holiday there at the end of the year too! Also staying in Yosemite for a few days, so I've been scouting for hikes, and other things to do in SF.

Will keep an eye on this thread :)

Soldato
We're in SF for 5/6 days, then road trip down the coast, then over to Death Valley. Then in Yosemite for 3 nights, then back to SF for a few more nights.

Staying in Nob Hill for the first SF visit.
Booked a place in Half Dome Village in Yosemite
Then in Filmore district for last few days in SF.

Haven't booked a car yet. Probably going to get a Challenger or Dodge RT etc. Only need it for 5 days, and it was about $550 for something in that category.

Soldato
Blowfish Sushi in the Mission District is great, as is the Hog Island Oyster Company on the front at the Embarcadero market (clam chowder in bread bowl!!!) and the New England Lobster Market and Eatery just by the airport.

Soldato
Warning, I stayed in SoMa and it is a massive dive, streets are full of used needles and massive crowds of homeless people. Luckily it only take a 10minute walk to get into nicer areas.

Monterey is nice and Yosemite is amazing - You definitely need more than a day in Yosemite though it's absolutely massive. I made the mistake of only planning one day there so didn't get to see anywhere near enough, also try to arrive early. We were later than expected and the traffic was awful and parking was full so we lost a lot of time!

Associate
Yosemite:
I think some of the roads will be closed due to snow in April, so you might be limited what you can see.
If the road is open, drive to the end of Glacier Point Road, to see the classic view of Half Dome. Best late evening to Sunset.
There's also side hikes to Taft Point and Sentinel Dome too along that road too.
Driving back down the road in the dark at top speed is awesome :D You can also free wheel most of it and still overtake slower American drivers ;)

The hike to Cathedral Peak on the Tioga Pass road, is long but worth it.

In the Valley area, visit Tunnel View for the classic view.

www.yosemitehikes.com

San Francisco:
Marin County Headlands, for GGB shots.
Baker Beach.
Treasure Island.

Caporegime
San Francisco:

Catch a baseball game if it's during the season and the Giants are playing at home?
Alcatraz
Cycle over the Golden Gate bridge
Visit Pier 39
Fisherman's Wharf

Enjoy, Yosemite is incredible :)

Soldato
Look into the night tour rather than the daytime one. It’s quieter, extra bits to see and far more atmospheric than going during the day. It books up well in advance so needs to be organised ahead of time.
Yep - another mistake I made was not booking in advance. Make sure you do if you want to go!

Don
Pier39, especially if the sea lions are there!
Alcatraz*
Walk the Golden Gate bridge
Cable car museum is pretty cool :)
Lombard Street
Coit Tower (at sunset)

Yosemite*

Dang, now I want to go back.

*book these in advance.

Caporegime
Look into the night tour rather than the daytime one. It’s quieter, extra bits to see and far more atmospheric than going during the day. It books up well in advance so needs to be organised ahead of time.

Good shout! I did it during the day and it was very enjoyable, night should be outrageously good.

Great trip either way.

Caporegime
I lived there for a year, my favorite places were:
Point Reyes State Park
Point Lobos
Pinnacle national monument
Marin headlands.
Yosemite

Most raods in Yosemit will be closed, but the main valley will be open, and up to tunnel view. Waterfalls will be non existent mind. many hiking trails will be closed. The giant sequoia groves are worth seeing.

Back
Top Bottom