Shadow of the Colossus

Associate
Got “Shadow of the Colossus” in the post today it is a lot different to what games I usually play but I don’t know what to make off it. The battles are REALLY amazing never seen anything like it.

But the rest of the game seems barren I know it’s meant to be like that but it does not feel right too me. At the moment the storyline is very bare and does not seem to have much substance to it. The storyline seems only there to give you a reason to be fighting the colossi but I don’t know if this will improve as I am only on the 5th colossi.

The controls seem dodgy as they don’t seem very responsive. The music is really good when you are fighting the colossi. I am still undecided if I like this game or not I feel like I should give it a chance as it has got really good reviews. Anyways just wanted to share my opinion on the game. :)

Soldato
Just been playing this myself, the colossi certiantly have a huge "WOW!" factor, fought 3 of them so far and loved everyone, especially the colossi with the sword like arm, when he started swinging that around i had a few choice words.

I can understand what u mean about the barren feeling between colossi, wonder how long the game takes to complete on average?

Associate
Took me about 14 hours the first time and around 8ish the second. That initial 'wow' factor alone was enough to keep me playing at it over and over :)

R^T

R^T

Associate
So would you guy's recommend this game?

dose it get repetative or dose every colosi bring somthing new to the table?

Thanks guys

Soldato
In a weird way, the colossussesses are all very similar while being very different.
Its kind of hard to explain.

Obviously they look and act different, but its only rarely that a colossus brings something new to the table.

I'm not dissing the game by the way, I loved it back in the day when I was still playing it :)

Associate
For me, the game is just absolutely superb.

I would say it won't be for everyone (like Ico - which is the best PS2 game to date for me) - this has the same feel about it.

If you are unsure - rent it before you buy it.

Associate
It's an amazing game. Each colossi is interesting in its own way and the world is just VAST.

Has those amazing jaw dropping scenery moments as with ico where u can just sit and say "wow".

So would you guy's recommend this game?

dose it get repetative or dose every colosi bring somthing new to the table?

My answer wouuld be, yes, its does get repetitive. Each colossi is taken out in pretty much the same way, its usually mounting them that varies. None of the methods are particularly difficult and you could knock the game out in say 8 hours tops if you dont take time to explore too much.

But theres something in its simplicity thats cool too. It doesnt bother with the 'traditional' aspects of most games in that there arent any minions to get in your way between big 'fights' most things are pretty to the point, theres also a real sense of lonliness in the game too, which reminds me of Ico again.

I love the motions of the boy. They seem real to me, like then your trying to balance on the back of a colossus, stumbling and swaying, I really liked the grip system.
Even whn your falling through the air from a colossi or just from a platform, you don't just drop and have a standard hand waving action, its like the wind can catch you and turn you over, a nice little addition.

As with above its the small details that have me hooked, and I keep noticing more...

Soldato
Was going to start a new thread to chat about this game but why not just revive the old one...

So this is my first time playing SotC and must say I'm impressed so far, only done the first two colossi and they were pretty straightforward but needed to be as an introduction to the game, having a few issues with the camera and controls but am sure I'll adapt.

It's funny how much it reminds me of Zelda: BotW when roaming across the plains on a horse, obviously very different games but amazing landscapes that just go on and on and make you want to explore.

Associate
I picked this up yesterday but by the time the little one was in bed, Mrs Punt wanted to watch the tv :( I'll give it a go tonight. I played a tiny bit of it back on the PS2 but this PS4 version is looking very tasty. Also looking forward to 60FPS on my Pro.

Quite surprised there no buzz about it on this forum.

Associate
Ok well I got to the 11th Colossus and have now sent this back to Boomerang as can't be bothered playing more.

Yes the scale is epic and it looks lovely but am I missing something??
It's literally ride horseback to find a colossus....kill it....then start all over again but having to travel further each time to make the game seem longer and padded out?

Quite honestly I was getting bored and felt a bit like a chore so sent it back

Caporegime
I've had a quick blast and done the first six. It's weird how my fingers keep pressing the buttons for the PS3 version and I have to stop and think to learn the new ones. It's as good as I remember although the draw distance is a bit crap. I don't like vegetation popping up in front of me. The fur on the colossi looks good now though.

Soldato
I've found the camera very annoying as it won't stay where I want it to, wants to go behind the character which is frustrating when I'm trying to perform a jump where a side-on camera would be prefrerable.

General character control is quite iffy too, climbing up a colossus is made much more difficult than it should be when you're clipping and bouncing against bits of armour.

Soldato
Yeah the camera is by far the most annoying thing in the game but apparently it was designed that way,so they left it in the remake.

Part of the appeal of a remake (to me anyway) is for the developer to have the chance to improve or fix stuff the couldn't in the original, giving me the best version of the game possible. Leaving a dodgy camera really makes no sense and smacks of laziness.

Caporegime
Part of the appeal of a remake (to me anyway) is for the developer to have the chance to improve or fix stuff the couldn't in the original, giving me the best version of the game possible. Leaving a dodgy camera really makes no sense and smacks of laziness.

It wasn't a problem for them to improve or fix. I remember reading somewhere that Fumito Ueda wanted you to feel like you were wrestling with the camera, maybe not when on Agro just riding around but certainly when you're on the colossi being flung about.

It's just something you have to learn to live with. No doubt if it was available on PC, there'd be a mod "fixing" it. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Well, i've never played the previous versions but bought the ps4 version and i have to say that whilst i agree that the controls are kind of clunky and frustrating...the game is incredibly epic and beautiful. The colossi are sadly graceful and take plenty of time and skill to beat. I'm enjoying it and think i'll try my best to clock it!

Back
Top Bottom