BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
My M4 was stolen off the drive early this morning. Absolutely gutted. Looking at the video used some device to amplify the keyless entry to get in. Absolute ****ers. So so angry.

Any reason why the keys weren't in an insulated box. This type of theft isn't unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Any reason why the keys weren't in an insulated box. This type of theft isn't unknown.
I'd heard about it only recently and not really felt the need to worry about it. I guess in a way I'm thankful they didn't enter the house which would have been an even worse violation. It is unsettling to think I was followed and these guys planned this. Gutted its gone, still hoping it may be found but they took out part of the driveway wall when rushing to leave so who knows what state it is in.

Soldato
Urgh, what mother cluckers. Sorry to hear about that. This is happening so often in London, Birmingham and Manchester at the moment. There's also a new trend emerging when criminals are breaking into cars and stripping down the inside for parts! I never heard of it until the other day but have since seem many people posting about how it's happened to then all over the south of England.

Can you post your CCTV?

Soldato
Always carry a signal blocker wallet and also steering lock the car. It's the only way though if someone wants something bad enough they'll do whatever it takes.

Really sad to hear about the M4 but these low lives won't stop.

Soldato
Autowatch Ghost. Any desirable car that has keyless entry should definitely have it installed. Even if they have the keys the only way they're taking the car is on the back of a lorry.

Soldato
Personal opinion, but if it was mine, I'd not be using signal blockers or steering locks. If they've decided they want your car, they're having it. Would you rather it goes off the drive while you sleep, or they come back the next night and come through your front door for the keys?

Soldato
Autowatch Ghost. Any desirable car that has keyless entry should definitely have it installed. Even if they have the keys the only way they're taking the car is on the back of a lorry.
Or by the sound of it if they come back to 'encourage' you to tell them how to make it start...

Soldato
Personal opinion, but if it was mine, I'd not be using signal blockers or steering locks. If they've decided they want your car, they're having it. Would you rather it goes off the drive while you sleep, or they come back the next night and come through your front door for the keys?
Not sure that's completely true... Sure in London/Manchester etc where thieves are a bit more desparate but more rural areas where they're likely more opportunistic and less likely to be prepared to kill for a car...?

Soldato
Not sure that's completely true... Sure in London/Manchester etc where thieves are a bit more desparate but more rural areas where they're likely more opportunistic and less likely to be prepared to kill for a car...?

Would you really want to put yourself and your family in a position to find out how desperate the thieves are? These guys are usually well organised...

Soldato

That's why I carry a 12 inch quarterstaff next to my bed, bring it!

In reality though, completely agree, make it hard for opportunists, but easy for proper thieves so they don't need to come inside.

Soldato
That's why I carry a 12 inch quarterstaff next to my bed, bring it!

In reality though, completely agree, make it hard for opportunists, but easy for proper thieves so they don't need to come inside.

So long as I get an insurance payout I will happily let my car be stolen to protect my family.

If it was heavily modified then that’s when I’d start going a bit ott to keep it safe, maybe even keep it in the garage etc.

Soldato
Depends on how long it has been sat there tbh - my brother bought his A5 and it had been sat on courtyard for a few months so used as a bargaining chip and got around £1500 off (£20k car)

Ordered an M240i new in the end, get the colour I want at least. £32.4k so a £3.5k (more if I could get them to money off) premium but I would likely get some of that back in residual value being a year newer.

Interesting that the 3 year total cost of an M2 isn't actually that much more expensive (high GFV). However since I am planning to pay the balloon payment at the end it obviously works out a lot cheaper (and adaptive suspension is pretty much a must given it'll be my main car).

Associate

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
March issue of Modern Classics is a good read. Tiff Needell gives full page spreads on the best of the old era BMWs you can buy for reasonable money. High praise to them all really, E46 M3 section is an interesting read for sure. No bias ;)

Back
Top Bottom