Back in the PC gaming world

Associate
Hello all

After a prolonged absence from PC gaming I finally built a new PC just before Christmas with a GT1030. That has kept me ticking over but today I have installed my 1080 and I'm now ready to see what 2018 and the last few years games have to offer.

So for those of you who have been gaming for the last few years what games should I look to?

I'm not in to online gaming, I prefer a game with a good story that will grab me and reel me into their world.

In terms of genre I'm pretty open, would be nice to get into a modern RTS as been playing company of heroes on the 1030.

So what games?

Associate
My most recent favourites are Subnautica and Nier:Automata. They're both very unique so have a look into them first before deciding to get them. Also Nier:Automata criminally hasn't had an official patch to fix some frustrating issues, but there is an unofficial patch (the FAR mod - Fix Automata Resolution) which solves these problems.

Nier is developed by Platinum who made Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta, Vanquish etc, however unlike those games Nier is much more story based and RPG like, and it mixes in a few different gameplay styles. But I loved the story most of all.

Subnautica is all the rage at the moment, it's an underwater survival game with beautiful graphics and it's incredibly immersive. It has a story but it isn't dished out linearly in dialogue or cutscenes, instead you get snippets through playing the game by finding diaries, receiving radio transmissions, and generally just by soaking up the atmosphere.

These games are both very different and they both had me hooked til the end, which is very unusual for me these days.

Soldato
Witcher 3 and the expansions, currently you can buy the Game of the Year edition at Steam for 20 Euro (not sure what it is in £) but it is a fantastic price for a game that will give you hours of fun, if you like that kind of game. Offer ends in 21 hours though.

ELEX - Open world game, bit clunky with fights but didn't bother me, a lovely world to explore, presently done about 140+ hours and still not done with it. Made by Piranha Bytes, same company that made the Gothic games, if those rings a bell.
Prey (2017) - Another excellent game, in space though so no world to explore. :p

Soldato
Fallout 4 and Skyrim.
Elite Dangerous, although technically MMO, can actually be played in Solo mode without interacting with real players. You need the Horizons add-on to get the best out of it and it will become a bit of a time sink, but worth it if you want something that offers a long haul or you can leave and come back a month or two later pick up where you left off.
Possibly GTA V?

Soldato
Witcher 3 goty
Warhammer total war 1 with dlc and if you like that get the warhammer total war 2 as the main campaign map joins together to make a huge RTS.

Associate
Best single player games are - Far Cry 4 - Far cry primal - Witcher 3 - Prey - Doom - fallout 4 - All these games are awesome single player games and will take you ages to complete and they are all massively fun to play - I also highly recommend the assassins creed games , If you like Horror games then Aliens is a must! Its an ace game with everything perfectly taken from the movie.

Associate
I prefer a game with a good story that will grab me and reel me into their world.
Based on that, the first thing that comes to mind is Life is Strange (and the sequel Before the Storm). These are two of my favourite games of the last few years, if not ever.

I also agree with some mentioned here i.e. BF1, RE7 and especially Doom - that doesn't really have a story but is very immersive and fun. I might go for Prey next, hearing a lot of good things about it.

Soldato
All of the above are great but guys we need more recommendations for alien isolation, best ever alien game and genuine scare factors, especially if using a headset

Back
Top Bottom