Underrated cars with potential?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
What are some underrated cars with potential that are being overlooked?

Let the discussion begin. :)

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
What's the criteria, are we talking new cars, old cars, any cars?

What's potential? good for modding, likely to start appreciating, better to drive than you'd think?
Any cars, mainly performance wise e.g. something you can get easy power from, good handling etc.

Caporegime
Corolla T-Sport. Chuck some springs and bracing into it and its a Cheap EP3 killer. (well, not quite 'killer') - Zero cheap tuning potential though. Well you might pick up 10HP with bolt ons.

Mazda 6 MPS is very overlooked too, nobody seems to mention them but whats not to like about a 250HP 2.3 turbo AWD manual saloon from circa '06, often with 80K~ miles, for under 5 grand? Easily tuned to over 300HP as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Probably anything Alfa, but FWD of course. Cloverleaf Giuletta's come with 235HP from the factory for example. Most won't even know what it is.

Associate
I've seen a Volvo club at Silverstone destroying everything else on track (imprezas/evos etc). Pretty funny to watch :D. Never really gave them much consideration before I saw that.

Caporegime
I've seen a Volvo club at Silverstone destroying everything else on track (imprezas/evos etc). Pretty funny to watch :D. Never really gave them much consideration before I saw that.

Mahoosive potential those turbo Volvo engines! Some variations of the T5 engine can approach 500HP on stock internals I think? The older 4 bangers can be pretty crazy too.

Obviously this isn't on stock internals but I love it... :D

fT1CoXvl.jpg

Think that was circa 190MPH...

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
No one said Honda Prelude yet lol :p The H22 can achieve over 700bhp with a turbo, not sure if the internals are stock tho.

Mazda 6 MPS is very overlooked too, nobody seems to mention them but whats not to like about a 250HP 2.3 turbo AWD manual saloon from circa '06, often with 80K~ miles, for under 5 grand? Easily tuned to over 300HP as well.

I can get insured in it for a grand, that's mad. lol

BTW I knew these existed, but didn't think they were 4WD. :eek:

I'll add on to the list, Mercedes with OM602 engine, apparently you can get them to 300 without spending too much. :)

Last edited:

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Was going to say Volvo. Strong engines with good turbos on them. Heck, even the D5 180bhp is quite nippy and heads towards 250 with a worthwhile remap...

The newer high output 1.4 Turbo engines from VAG and the like I think are surprisingly nippy!

Soldato
Mahoosive potential those turbo Volvo engines! Some variations of the T5 engine can approach 500HP on stock internals I think? The older 4 bangers can be pretty crazy too.

Obviously this isn't on stock internals but I love it... :D

fT1CoXvl.jpg

Think that was circa 190MPH...

There were issues with the cylinder liners cracking on T5 engines, so I wouldn't want to risk a big tune with a stock one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might be scoffed at but the outgoing Subaru WRX STI is far better than it's reviews and un-tested opinions give it credit for. It's probably more undesirable than the when the Bugeye first came out.

It's actually a decent car.

Soldato
Yea, it only seems to be unpopular in Europe though. For some reason people here only seem to like dreary Audis on lease now. Cars with actual good engineering get overlooked because people aren't clued up about this stuff :/

Caporegime
Yea, it only seems to be unpopular in Europe though. For some reason people here only seem to like dreary Audis on lease now. Cars with actual good engineering get overlooked because people aren't clued up about this stuff :/

It's not really to do with "being clued up on this stuff", more that 99% of the car driving population would rather have a nicer interior than a shouty, fast, well engineered (and butt-ugly) car.

Soldato
Not sure about looks effecting people's choices. I mean, they buy a lot of BMWs and they haven't looked good since the E46 :p

Back
Top Bottom