**The Mental Health Thread**

Soldato
How were you diagnosed with it? What were you presenting to the docs?

Well when I first started getting it, I must have rushed to A+E about 5 times in 6 months not knowing what it was and thinking I were having a heart attack. Had an Ambulance come out once and even they thought it were something serious (very high heart rate). Every time I had an ECG and they just said I were slightly tachycardic (sp?)but my heart is fine and gave me a Benzodiazepine to calm me back down. I had already been going to GP but he just fobbed it off at first as just under the weather etc even though I told him I was having several episodes of 'feeling bad' per day. In terms of what I was telling him was mainly chest pain, fast heart rate, dizziness, a feeling of like I was going to die (hard to explain this one but I truly was believing it). I was struggling to go anywhere, couldn't get into cars at all for ages. I was also worrying excessively about the next episode coming. He tried me on several meds which I wasn't having any luck with and most were making it worse. It wasn't until the last visit the Doc at Hospital suggested it could be a stress related disorder. I went back to my GP and said this and he then agreed, and so referred me to a Psychologist at my local hospital who I had to go see a couple of times for assessments etc. Psychologist then told me I scored very high for Panic Disorder and also 'on the scale' for Generalized Anxiety Disorder and arranged for me to have CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) and put me on more meds. I also was referred to have Acupuncture for chronic chest pain.

It took a lot of GP visits and being fobbed off at first. But I think in the end, he couldn't argue against it with all the Hospital visits, the 30 different meds I tried before finding one that actually helped and general persistence :D

EDITED a few times as I kept re-reading it back and finding something wrong lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
I was recently diagnosed with panic disorder too, been prescribed benzodiazepines, completely alleviates the symptoms but not a long term solution.

Also very addictive and extremely horrible withdrawal symptoms. If you can just use them on those special occasions you feel anxious AF, then they work just fine. Well, better than fine.

Xanax is a huge problem amongst teenagers at the moment - many people ordering off the dark net and abusing.

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/ne4mvb/how-british-teens-got-hooked-on-xanax

Caporegime
I've never understood the appeal of them tbh, slight feeling of calmness but that's about it.

Trying to figure out why this sort of thing has just appeared seemingly out of nowhere really.

Associate
I've never understood the appeal of them tbh, slight feeling of calmness but that's about it.

Trying to figure out why this sort of thing has just appeared seemingly out of nowhere really.
tread very ******* carefully with Benzo's. that is all.

edit: I had the exact same feeling about them as you "prescribed slight feeling of calmness". And I also didn't exactly abuse them to a full extent, but the respect I have for them now is immense. Do not let them get a hold of you, they are a complete beast of their own. no joke.

Soldato
Every time i've taken them i have ended up coming off them myself after 6-12 months, just because i don't feel like they do anything..

I've taken:

Citalopram
Fluoxetine

Caporegime
Read that this morning but there’s some questionable parts to the study such as:

We excluded quasi-randomised trials and trials that were incomplete or included 20% or more of participants with bipolar disorder, psychotic depression, or treatment-resistant depression; or patients with a serious concomitant medical illness.

So, they will work on people that they work for basically.

What I do find interesting is that many of the more common ones you see prescribed seem pretty awful and it’s the more scarcely prescribed ones that come out on top.

Edit: Probably been a little harsh as the study is done around efficacy and looking further at the data it seems Prozac was one of only two anti-depressants that scored better than placebo for tolerability.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Read that this morning but there’s some questionable parts to the study such as:

So, they will work on people that they work for basically.

What I do find interesting is that many of the more common ones you see prescribed seem pretty awful and it’s the more scarcely prescribed ones that come out on top.

Edit: Probably been a little harsh as the study is done around efficacy and looking further at the data it seems Prozac was one of only two anti-depressants that scored better than placebo for tolerability.

Escitalopram/citalopram and mirtazapine are two of the most commonly prescribed antidepressants.

Soldato
Finally saw my GP about support for my university course. He seemed amazed I was able to go to university because he said I didn't have a normal head injury but a much more serious one. He will write me a support letter stating things so the university understands the severity of it. I'll be honest that I have kinda dismissed it as anything because I've had to deal with it every day so just getting on with it and ignoring the problems (at the time I was expected to die from it).
Uni lecturers have for the most part done things for me but there is a lack of preparation which is causing me anxiety and stressing me a lot, not to mention failing most of the 1st year, albeit slightly, with the exception of the exam which I did ok with.
I have been so stressed with things and so anxious.

Associate
Well thats it guys, my mother passed away this morning at 8.05 while I was holding her hand, been sitting in a quiet living room all day with my dad, Unbearable sadness.

Permabanned
Well thats it guys, my mother passed away this morning at 8.05 while I was holding her hand, been sitting in a quiet living room all day with my dad, Unbearable sadness.
Sorry to hear that.
Lost my dad just before Xmas, it's sad for a while but just try to remember the good times. It does get easier.

Associate
Sorry to hear that.
Lost my dad just before Xmas, it's sad for a while but just try to remember the good times. It does get easier.

Been having tears running down my face all day, feels like everything has changed, she was the one person I could talk too about anything.

Soldato
I lost my nan just over a year ago and it wacked me hard.

She was my second mother since I was born.

Now I have taken ill since my nan died, its crazy I have a brain scan coming up as I keep collapsing. But not fainting its something switches me off for a split second and then, am on the floor.

Always when standing thank god, I can still drive but its the standing and walking that is hard.

Associate
Her funeral is delayed a bit because of the weather, me and my dad has her back in the living room with her coffin, as thats what she would have wanted she wanted to stay with us as long as possible, most kindest, softest, person I will ever know, Did not deserve all the issues she got, she was my best friend and I never knew it.

Man of Honour
Bumping an old thread, just looking to vent more than anything

My health anxiety has properly taken control at the moment, turned me in to a bit of a recluse (more than normal :p) and just devoid of any kind of motivation to do anything productive, while my mind convinces me that everything is futile due to my imaginary illness that I must have. I was nearing completion of my first iOS app which I was hugely excited about, but can't even bring myself to finish that. Every time I sit in front of my computer, I just think way too much about other things or can't focus for more than a couple of minutes.

I hate it as I go through phases, years at a time sometimes with no kind of worry or any cause to be anxious, but then something will trigger it and depending on other things going on in my life, it will either pass or snowball. With remortgaging and applying for life insurance/critical illness cover lately, I think that has well and truly caused it to snowball. Since then I've just been worrying about anything and everything

Urgh, that is all.

Back
Top Bottom