Oxfam sex debacle

Soldato
So a poor hatian girl sees a rich worker and begs for food etc, then says she will do anything for money/food/clothes/shelter etc, guy gives in and ploughs that.. Word gets around amongst the girls friends. Word gets around amongst the guys friends, one thing leads to another and bam sex scandal.

Or evil super rich aid workers forcibly rape already super poor women because they can!

Both seem just as likely to me.

Man of Honour
The needy in this country can go **** themselves IMO, no excuses. We've got free education, free healthcare and social security. If you're poor here then get over it and do something about it - it is mostly only 'relative poverty' anyway... if you're really desperate then there are food banks and emergency funds/accommodation etc.. available too.

While there are some genuine cases where people slip through the cracks and some real issues with the system to be fair - saw one recently where someone was complaining about their benefits being stopped but the more you read into the background of it the more it was obvious they expected the system to just work without them having to take any personal responsibility :( combined with just ignoring when things went wrong and doing nothing to avoid potential problems due to those things going wrong causing more things to go wrong in the future.

Some of these sob stories the BBC covers which often results in them being handed accommodation and a job on a plate, etc. - google the person 6 months later and they are back in the same state and its always someone else's fault.

Soldato
So does this mean you'll be paying back the ~£100k in student loans that you've leeched off the State then?

£100,000? Most student loans top out at just shy of £30,000 unless they want to waste time doing a teaching qualification because they never intended on entering the field they studied in.

Being poor in the UK is like being middle class in most third world countries.. Stop making excuses for laziness. I've dealt with drug and alcohol addiction, dealt with severe depression losing almost all my family at a young age.. I was still earning £36k a year at 22 and now back at university getting great grades.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

£100,000? Most student loans top out at just shy of £30,000

30k seems unusually low.

9k tuition fees plus 7.5k maintainence loan times 3 years = almost 50k. Then throw in 10k for a masters and 24k that you can get this Sept for a phdPand you can get near 100k quite easily, especially as it's accruing interest as well while you're studying. That's not even counting the extra year tuition fees and maintmainte loan you can get for a pgce.

unless they want to waste time doing a teaching qualification because they never intended on entering the field they studied in.

Well I'm lecturing in computing, so I guess you're a bit wide of the mark there, but don't let the facts get in the way of a personal attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
So some people paid prostitutes for sex, well boo-*******-hoo. Isn't that the nature of their business? And besides, isn't that putting money back into the local economy?

Prostitution out of economic desperation or coercion is not a pretty thing. If you were concerned about the economic welfare of a girl you could just give her the money and not make her have the sex with you.
I'm fine with women (or men) making a free choice among options to be a sex worker, but that is so often not the case.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Prostitution out of economic desperation or coercion is not a pretty thing. If you were concerned about the economic welfare of a girl you could just give her the money and not make her have the sex with you.
I'm fine with women (or men) making a free choice among options to be a sex worker, but that is so often not the case.

Especially with the economic imbalance. Most people have a price, even in the uk, where they would agree to some form of sexual transaction. The problem comes when the amount of money involved in making someone an offer they struggle to refuse is pocket change to the person offering it.

Soldato
Can't eescape this one.
All oxfam had to do was deal with it as soon as it came to light.

If I understand it correctly this is the issue.

They new about it, and didn't deal with it.

Knew - seriously, how can you have an education and assume that new is the correct vocabulary.

Soldato
I can't remember this much government reaction when in Calais there were charity organisations and volunteers turning up and sexually abusing people in the camps. There was lots of media coverage but nothing like this reaction.

I often wonder why some stories get plastered all over the news with a government reaction, and other stories get very little coverage and no response.

Man of Honour
I can't remember this much government reaction when in Calais there were charity organisations and volunteers turning up and sexually abusing people in the camps. There was lots of media coverage but nothing like this reaction.

I often wonder why some stories get plastered all over the news with a government reaction, and other stories get very little coverage and no response.

Part of the reason is that some sections of the media have been making huge waves out of identity politics and alleged inappropriate behaviour when they have seen it as a means to attack the rich or the conservatives, so it's very much at the front of the public eye.

compare and contrast the guardian editorials on the presidents club dinner vs the Oxfam sex abuse scandal.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...w-on-the-presidents-club-we-are-all-complicit

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...rdian-view-on-oxfam-time-to-learn-not-destroy

Soldato
30k seems unusually low.

9k tuition fees plus 7.5k maintainence loan times 3 years = almost 50k. Then throw in 10k for a masters and 24k that you can get this Sept for a phdPand you can get near 100k quite easily, especially as it's accruing interest as well while you're studying. That's not even counting the extra year tuition fees and maintmainte loan you can get for a pgce.

Man that sounds like the worst value for money education in human history. And the really sad thing is about 80% of graduates are still uneducated lol.

Soldato
So it seems abuse in the UK stores has been happening as well!

Heads need to roll, there sends to be a culture of cover up going on here. what

Caporegime
But how likely is eradicating worldwide poverty going to happen anytime soon, if ever ? in the meantime these women still have to work to provide for their families
Absolutely 0% chance of eradicating poverty.

All that is happening today that we are moving from "rich country/poor country", to "rich global elite/global poor". In other words, all countries get to have a similar rich/poor divide to the West.

It's already happened to a large extent. Very soon this country's poor will be in a similar situation to any other country's poor, and Africa's elite/middle class will be just as large a percentage as they are here.

The only countries left out will be those with rampant, uncontrollable corruption or those that for whatever reason can't attract serious outside investment.

Soldato
There is always the argument with charities that paying top wage for top talent ultimate makes the organisation run better and results in more effectively use of the money and resources they do have ultimately saving money

That said however it made me sad a couple of days ago when the Amazon Smile prompt thing popped up on the Amazon page as flicking through most of the eligible charities I know most of them only a tiny fraction of the money would actually be going towards the ostensibly ends of the charity :(

Yes, and others are awful too: Barnardos, for example, is a joke with amount of money it wastes - and I'm not talking about paying high-flyers well in return for excellent services. For example, one fairly minor (and utterly useless) manager with them is paid nearly £150,000 per year. It genuinely sickens me and I will never give to big charities again.

Soldato
So someone (or a company) from a richer country exploiting someone(s) from a poorer country...isnt that called capitalism?

How, with a straight face, can we call these people all the names under the sun whilst happily using tech from businesses that profit from similar enterprises.

Or, as i suspect, is the main problem here not what they were doing but that they were doing it in the immediate aftermath of the devastating earthquake and as a representative of a charity supposed to be saving lives not exploiting their dire situation further.

Back
Top Bottom