Fast family hatchback

Soldato
Overtaking potential is a big factor. My commute can easily see me stuck behind a slow coach for ten miles because there are very few opportunities to overtake in my current car.

Something more powerful would be able to do it in more places and with bigger margins.

I understand the overtaking concerns, but I have overtaking full size lorries in a 107 no problem, can even overtake those sort should I need to in my 2008, it’s about timing and momentum and the trucks hadn’t always done under 50 when I’ve overtaken, in fact only my first car of a 1.1 metro has been the lacking type, 187hp is most powerful car I’ve owned which overtook like a dream, it was a corolla T Sport so it had that ‘lift’, so overtook like the CTR and like a car with a turbo, so it’s not just about big power..

Why don’t you just look at the mk6 GTI version? 200hp be good and they are quick cars.

Don
I'll join the barking club then... my 125bhp 1.0 ecoboost focus is plenty quick enough for safe overtaking, and more than enough for whatever driving you can actually do on UK roads.

In contrast my previous 2.0t A3 and R56 cooper s were too easy to do license losing speeds e.g
when overtaking and in this day and age with average speed cameras everywhere, offer no benefit as spent most of the time on cruise control.

Soldato
If I put my foot down in my car when going for an overtake, I can exceed the national speed limit in a matter of seconds. That doesn't mean I wouldn't happily drive something with more power. It's fun to just floor it sometimes. Obviously the more power you have, the shorter time you can do this before you're into dangerous territory, so I can understand both sides of the argument really.

It sounds like the OP should keep the Golf as the 'normal' family car and get a second hot hatch of his choosing.

Soldato
I can totally relate here. I was originally looking at an S1 as a 2nd car but there is no way I can fully enjoy it on my 30-minute commute through speed bumps and built-up areas. Much like @paradigm 's S3, it'd be a total waste, even though they're a hoot. So I'm looking at Fiesta STs, but even those might be a waste. At this rate, I'll end up in a 125bhp 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost :p
Exactly, it’s not like I don’t enjoy it, and that I can’t drive it “normally”, more that I could get 95% of the ownership experience if the car were a 190PS 2.0TFSI S-Line rather than the 310PS S3.
That's exactly where I was with my Golf R - It could have been a 1.4 SE and the experience would have been the same, except maybe for the seats.

Soldato
So I'm looking at Fiesta STs, but even those might be a waste. At this rate, I'll end up in a 125bhp 1.0 Fiesta Ecoboost :p
I can't see how anything quicker than a Fiesta ST is necessary to be honest. It gets up to goodbye licence speeds in not very long if you aren't careful, has plenty of power for overtakes when necessary and is an absolute hoot to drive.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I can't see how anything quicker than a Fiesta ST is necessary to be honest. It gets up to goodbye licence speeds in not very long if you aren't careful, has plenty of power for overtakes when necessary and is an absolute hoot to drive.
Suspension is quite stiff compared to things like Golfs, etc though isn't it?

Associate
Buy a GTI. I went from driving either the family Mazda 6 or the fiesta 1.6 runabout to a Golf 7.5GTI (my misses is left with the Mazda), and I’ve not regretted it for a second. Nice place to be, and when you need it to be quick it is, the rest of the time it’s dead easy to drive , comfortable etc and if we want to we can get 2 adults and 2kids in for a day out/weekend away.

That being said it would be easy to drive like a madman everywhere if you were so inclined, you just have to be sensible-ish.

Soldato
if you want fun, buy a caterham whether its the 1.4 ford engine powered version or higher, the 1.4 is meant to do 6.5 to 60mph and while it has a 110mph top speed because it only having like 90hp, it be great fun to drive and plenty of power to overtake because its so light.

Soldato
if you want fun, buy a caterham whether its the 1.4 ford engine powered version or higher, the 1.4 is meant to do 6.5 to 60mph and while it has a 110mph top speed because it only having like 90hp, it be great fun to drive and plenty of power to overtake because its so light.
OP wants a family hatchback and you suggest a Caterham. That's Ocuk Motors doing its thing again..

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Suspension is quite stiff compared to things like Golfs, etc though isn't it?

Wife had an ST, the ride on it actually made me feel sick once (granted I was ill at the time but still ;) )

That thing was fun to drive but god it was a harsh ride.

The Golf GTD and R we’ve had as well we’re much better.

nas

nas

Associate
Guys you've already beaten me down from an M140i to a GTI; don't make me buy a 1.0 Fiesta!

I remember wanting a MK6 R after the GTI (this was one I looked at some time ago as you can see) but you'd need to 'really' want one in order to justify coughing up for one, especially with decent miles and spec.

IMG_9919.jpg

Associate
Guys you've already beaten me down from an M140i to a GTI; don't make me buy a 1.0 Fiesta!
test drive a M140/135 and a GTI and compare. Sure the BMW has more power, but they will both drive quite differently and one may give you more of a fizz and not feel like a compromise. Sure 300bhp can't be legally used on the roads all the time, but you dont need to floor it everywhere to have fun... Personally I'd prefer not to feel like I'm constantly wringing the neck out of an engine and have a quieter, lower revving motorway cruise, with power on tap for overtaking or get me out of a problem if needed. (not to mention rwd skids in the M car...)

Soldato
test drive a M140/135 and a GTI and compare. Sure the BMW has more power, but they will both drive quite differently and one may give you more of a fizz and not feel like a compromise. Sure 300bhp can't be legally used on the roads all the time, but you dont need to floor it everywhere to have fun... Personally I'd prefer not to feel like I'm constantly wringing the neck out of an engine and have a quieter, lower revving motorway cruise, with power on tap for overtaking or get me out of a problem if needed. (not to mention rwd skids in the M car...)
Isn’t that what diesels are for?

Soldato
OP wants a family hatchback and you suggest a Caterham. That's Ocuk Motors doing its thing again..

The OP also mentioned maybe doing what what others suggested and getting a fun car as well aS keeping the golf, I even stated about keeping the golf myself, so no it wasn’t a bad suggestion as you think it was, did you even read the rest of the thread before quoting me?

Soldato

I find my wifes mk3 focus st quite slow tbh, it also depends on how long a strech of road you have, i'd rather have the power (currently my car is ~276hp/ton) and not need it than find out half way through an overtake that the car is gutless. I realise the flipslip to that is don't overtake tho.

Back
Top Bottom