Spending the day in Hull?

Soldato
For locals perhaps. I spent 4 years there as a student and I really don’t understand why it gets such a bad reputation.

Maybe it's changed but I studied there for 4 years, graduating in 2004 and thought it was a dump :p Nicest touch was the week I moved into digs on DeGrey street we got a letter in the door from the plod asking for witnesses to a student getting stabbed...

Obviously changed a lot if people are using the word hipster in the same sentence as Newland Ave! Wine bars, haha. Alright for a uni town I suppose if you stayed in the student areas, never went into town on weekends, and *definitely* never went anywhere near the warzone estates.

Soldato
Maybe it's changed but I studied there for 4 years, graduating in 2004 and thought it was a dump :p Nicest touch was the week I moved into digs on DeGrey street we got a letter in the door from the plod asking for witnesses to a student getting stabbed...

Obviously changed a lot if people are using the word hipster in the same sentence as Newland Ave! Wine bars, haha. Alright for a uni town I suppose if you stayed in the student areas, never went into town on weekends, and *definitely* never went anywhere near the warzone estates.

Oh it's not just the wine bar my friend, there's traffic calming, and a weird tiki bar thing. All of the character has gone! I can only hope the Grafton is still full of old racist guys, otherwise I suspect the entire city has been swapped during the night.

I do miss living across from the Grafton, if you couldn't sleep of a night you could just open the curtains and watch a pair of ropey old birds knocking seven shades out of each other.

Soldato
I used to have to go to Hull a fair bit for my previous job and whilst it's not exactly "pretty" I really don't understand the bad rep it gets.
Try the place across the river if you really want grim...
The deep is great... Enjoy the sharks! And the hypnotic glowing jellyfish :)

Associate
As already mentioned, Two Rivers restaurant inside The Deep does really nice food - plus you sit literally next to the HUUUUUUUUGE shark tank whilst eating your meal.

The marina is nice for a general mooch around and a drink plus more food.

Although AVOID Bob Carvers fish and chip shop, its grim. Go to any other fish and chip shop and do yourself a favour, order pattie, chips and peas. It's amazing that you travel 20 miles outside of Hull and nobody has the foggiest what a pattie is. You wont get them anywhere else in the country.

I would also suggest going to any kebab takeaway shop and just ordering chips, prepare to be amazed by Hull chip spice that comes as standard everywhere :)

Thats about as cultured as we get here in Hull, patties and chip spice :D

Soldato
There's a popular Chinese restaurant that will sell sharkfin soup if you use the secret password. It's just on the high street past the Woolworths and c&a.
Is that a joke? Shark fin soup is nothing to joke about :(

haha it's great when you're 14 tho
Ah yes Spiders. Even in our first year at Uni we felt like we were about 40 compared to the other clientele :p

Soldato
And if they are any restaurants that over look the sea that we could go to?

No, Its not the sea. Its a river and its brown, Murky and full of chemicals and oil. Do yourself a favor and don't bother with this idea.
A good recommendation for a chinese is wings international though

Back
Top Bottom