So has anyone found out why Windows likes to use your CPU so much?

Soldato
So I recently run Disk Cleanup, and it's been sitting there eating 50% cpu for over 30 minutes now. Funny thing is Disk usage has been absolute ZERO during the whole time lmao.

So what on earth is being calculated on my CPU for over 45 minutes?

This reminds me of the recent Windows Update virus where it would just stay stuck eating 100% cpu for hours and never find any actual updates.

I'm guessing all this CPU usage is some sort of built in bitcoin miner now that Windows is basically a virus?

Soldato
OP
Cant believe how buggy and full of viruses Windows is out of the box nowadays. This is worse than Windows ME.

Now been sat here eating 50% cpu for almost 1 hour. That's an exceptionally large amount of calculations just to delete 1GB worth of junk and old windows updates.

Soldato
Cant believe how buggy and full of viruses Windows is out of the box nowadays. This is worse than Windows ME.

Now been sat here eating 50% cpu for almost 1 hour. That's an exceptionally large amount of calculations just to delete 1GB worth of junk and old windows updates.

Huh :confused: You might want to use legitimate software, rather than downloaded naughty versions of windows then.

Soldato
OP
Huh :confused: You might want to use legitimate software, rather than downloaded naughty versions of windows then.
100% legit Windows 8.1

I hate to break it to you, but repackaged/modified ISOs usually have LESS spyware on them than original/legit ISOs.

Who would you rather trust? A small time and trustworthy lone hobbyist who is spending his free time trying to remove spyware and telematics harvesting from Windows ISOs, or a multi-million dollar company who is the one milking money from unlimited data collection/harvesting, with thousands upon thousands of potentially messed up people having access to your data???

Soldato
OP
Is this Windows 10? 1709 build?

Good grief no. Windows 8.1 is bad enough with some low level virus like behaviour. Windows 10 is just a fully fledged virus, one of the most serious unmitigated threats in the history of computing. It actually deployed itself JUST like a virus, if anyone remembers the GWX deployment virus.

Don
I'll bite. Open Task Manager and see what's going on.

Process Explorer for a better view.

Is this just on fresh boot?

Do you have a HDD or SSD as the main drive?

How much ram?

Which CPU?

On the latest Windows via update?

Soldato
OP
Windows 10 is just a huge virus?

Erm ok.....

Yes. If I wrote an exe which collects the same data which Microsoft collects, it would be considered a virus even if I didn't sell it or make any money from the data. In fact a lot lesser exes which barely do anything are considered viruses. Just because they're making money from the data and thousands of people have access to the data, doesn't mean it's magically all OK, it's actually worse.

Associate
What viruses are you on about? In fact, what are you on about?

Probably just stuck. Happens occasionally on technology.

Little bug? AHHH, Full of viruses

Soldato
OP
I'll bite. Open Task Manager and see what's going on.

Process Explorer for a better view.

Is this just on fresh boot?

Do you have a HDD or SSD as the main drive?

How much ram?

Which CPU?

On the latest Windows via update?

Yes all updated, 2 processes maxing a core each.

One was Windows Modules Installer and the other was Disk Cleanup itself both taking 25% each.

It's an old CPU but I don't see how that is relevant unless Microsoft are slowing down older hardware on purpose to help Intel sell newer chips. Same with how they're actively blocking windows 7 from running on new PCs. (more virus behaviour)

Soldato
OP
My CPU's sitting at 1% in W10.
Present monitored CPU usage doesn't mean anything. What if it was 50% when you weren't looking? The fact remains Win 10 is full of data collection. It's all about the data these days and fuelling data mining and AI etc.

Just because your CPU is sitting at 1% now, doesn't magically mean Microsoft has stopped collecting data.

Bry

Bry

Associate
Lol funniest thread I've read in a long time.
Asim18 clearly doesn't like windows and should just go and install Linux, probably already is

I think best one is suggesting Microsoft is mining Bitcoin on people' machines

Man of Honour
To be fair Asim has a point about Windows 10. Personally I think it's the best version of Windows since XP. But it does log an extraordinary amount of data. I still use it a lot but am gradually moving over to Linux for anything that doesn't specifically need Windows. My biggest annoyance is the frequent updates when I most need to use it to login to work remotely. Drives me nuts.

Soldato
To be fair Asim has a point about Windows 10. Personally I think it's the best version of Windows since XP. But it does log an extraordinary amount of data. I still use it a lot but am gradually moving over to Linux for anything that doesn't specifically need Windows. My biggest annoyance is the frequent updates when I most need to use it to login to work remotely. Drives me nuts.

I'm trying to figure out if he is on about cpu usage or the data mining lol, anyway not had any cpu issues here. I actually like Win10, not as much as Linux however, but it's great for gaming ;) .

Soldato
What if it was 50% when you weren't looking?
if you bought a computer with a camera they will know.

... what is Disk Cleanup anyway, why do you use it ? I know what is on the disk no-ones using my machine for cloud storage behind my back

Soldato

Almost entirely this.

Beacon is a great program, I also use glasswire to block internet access for any windows process that doesn't absolutely need it. I've stripped out as much as I can like cortana, win Store, default apps etc

I love win 10 but it's a real step towards intrusiveness.

Back
Top Bottom