What film did you watch last night?

Associate
The Ritual 8/10
Fantastic from start to finish
Very difficult to make a decent horror these days but this succeeds owing to solid acting and beautiful cinematography.

Soldato
Moon - 6/10
Bit of an oldie now and don't know whether it's because I just finished a run of nights and kept nodding off, but found it quite boring compared to the first couple of times. Then again, missus complained she was having trouble staying awake, too.

Guess it's one of those films once you know the twist and denouement, there's nothing new to find. And I forgot Kevin Spacey voices the robot, eeurgh...

Don
The Light Between Oceans 7/10

Not ashamed to say that I cried hard watching this film. My tear ducts were aching and my face felt itchy from tears!

Slow paced to start with, but a nicely told story.

Man of Honour
The Girl on The Train - 7/10

Random film due to it being 99p to rent on iTunes. Turned out to be really good. Started off thinking it was going to be a chick flick, very quickly became an interesting thriller. Recommend it :)

Soldato
Suburbicon - 3/10 - A bad mix of a dark Coen comedy (which is OK at best) with a completely serious story about the racist treatment a black family go through when they arrive in the same town. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be playing off the difference between the white people's reaction to a normal family who happen to be black versus the evil stuff a white family in the same community gets upto, which gets ignored. Either way I didn't find it that good, despite liking the twin roles played by Julienne Moore and the good job Oscar Issac does as the insurance claim adjuster.

Geostorm - 2/10 - Big budget, great use of "retired from Hollywood" actors, interesting story but all of it destroyed by a script seemingly written by an infinite number of ADHD chimpanzees flinging poop at a page until it sticks.

BladeRunner 2049 - 7/10 -
Not much of a fan of the first one TBH so I felt able to be impartial about this one. I loved the look of the film and the music matched it very well, I liked the idea of misdirection for the end "twist" but had guessed who the "child" wasn't from the start as it was too obvious, I though Harrison Ford's world weary acting matched his character very well and Gosling did a very good job of acting without showing emotion when dealing with humans but my main gripe was that it was just too long at 2hr45 and seemed to use filler to stretch it rather than necessary details but that was my only issue really.

Gold - 6/10 -
Great acting from all 3 lead actors makes this a better film than the script deserves due to a very convoluted story which gets mixed up by the 1/2 way stage and feels like it's trying to have a smart twist, but it doesn't really work for me. However the mining scenes are visually beautiful and the overall story isn't bad, if you can follow it through the muddled middle.

Pride, Prejudice and Zombies - 1/10 -
Garbage, and not even the hints of "heaving cleavage" used as an attempt at titillation can save it.

Soldato
Coco - 5/5

Watched it with the kids, absolutely brilliant film, definitely one of the best films that Pixar has made and very touching. It made me choke back tears a few times, I could hear some people in the cinema sobbing too.

Caporegime
"Alien Abduction", one of those "found footage" movies, was watchable..kinda like that Mcpherson tape that was made into a low budget movie a lot of years back.

Soldato
Career Opportunities (1991)

A bit crap, but good for a bit of nostalgia.
Ok, I'll be honest, I only watched it because it features a stunning prime Jennifer Connelly and it's worth it for that alone - even if she is fully clothed throughout.
Lawd, what I wouldn't give for a time machine, a plane ticket, the opportunity and a book of the finest chat up lines in the history of mankind...

Associate
The Shape of Water (2017) - 9/10

A modern fairytale set in a classic time with superb special effects and nostalgic setting.

Great acting and story which, although plays out pretty much as expected, was still a treat to watch.

Emotional and heartwarming with a sprinkle of dark, funny and magical moments, the film is entertaining and good throughout.

Soldato
Only the Brave - 5/10 - I really like almost everything about this film, the cast, the story, the visual/sound effects etc and would have give it 8/10 but I just could not stand the amount of chest-beating, "we're the special forces of firemen" attitude the script and director allowed to over-power the story. Now I've no idea how accurate that "attitude" is, it maybe that the film is 100% accurate to how the "Hot Shots" are in real life, but in the movie it just came across as OTT cheesy to me, although I'm sure the US market would have lapped it up. Outside of that one issue, as mentioned earlier, I really liked the film and through the cast did a fantastic job making the people feel like real folks rather than 2D cut-outs. I especially thought the fire effects were some of the best "fire" CGI I'd seen and the fire visual and sound effects blended very well into a believable "firestorm" whilst I was sat in my living room!

Associate
Black Panther (2018) - 8/10

A less typical Marvel superhero movie which has great special effects, a superb African culture and setting, and a more human story.

The story is good, with some surprises and a balanced mix of action, character development, and humour, but it does drag on at times and has a few holes.

The wide range of characters each have their own appeal and show a much more human side to the proceedings, but none really stood out and the villains were disappointing in their simplistic desires.

The special effects and fight scenes are great, being fast paced, energetic and not overly destructive, but as with most Marvel movies, the hero is too indestructible and as a consequence, any threat to him never seems real.

Soldato
I thought it was really good tbh. Saw it ages ago, mind.

I didn’t know it was a real story or didn’t know the extent of the story... can’t remember :o/didn’t expect there to be so many deaths/etc, which obviously means there was a big impact there. It was a tad American, but I didn’t think it detracted from it as much as you’ve said.

It's a "based on true events" story and the the outcome is correct regarding numbers, bit of a shocker at the time. The script/direction that I disliked is all the "if you're not a HotShot you're not **** and we will disrespect you and your opinion because we are the greatest, WOOOOOO USA USA USA!!!!!" stuff said throughout the film, which just sounds terrible especially when compared the more professional tone the script/director took with the "Blue Ridge" Hotshot team you see occasionally see in the film. However that really could be the attitude of the teams involved, I don't know, but stuff like that doesn't make me feel sympathetic towards characters I am supposed to think of as heroes and I felt the film was worse for including it, but thats just an opinion, nothing more.

Associate
Seen two films today

Black Panther - 4/10 maybe even a 3, the worst Marvel movie yet. Nothing really worked in it for me, poor plot and action scenes.

The Shape of Water - 8/10 really enjoyed it even if it is a bit predictable.

Back
Top Bottom