Countries with Best Roads, Infrastructure

Soldato
In Portugal all the toll roads are perfect. Supposedly the EU funded a lot of them but the locals are too stingy to pay a toll so only tourists use them, meaning they're super quiet and like new!

Permabanned
OP
Japan has heated roads for winter!

Several years ago, I saw a news article about The Netherlands and their attempt to prototype such (solar) roads there, too.

In Portugal all the toll roads are perfect. Supposedly the EU funded a lot of them but the locals are too stingy to pay a toll so only tourists use them, meaning they're super quiet and like new!

Portugal and Spain are ok, too. Not as shiny as The Netherlands but still excellent.

Looks like the roads last time I was in Redhill, but with smaller potholes!!

Can you imagine how much damage these holes do to the cars' suspension?! These cars need to go for repair all the time.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Monaco, they have to be good for 180mph :D
Average speed in the Monaco GP is 90mph.

Granted max speeds hit 180mph but the damage to roads is done with tortion I.e, turning force.

/pedant

Caporegime
I have never seen roads so well maintained.

The pavements are the same. There was a slab being repaired, and there were two workers at each end with lit batons directing pedestrians, barriers all the way along and two working on the pavement itself. More warning workers than actual workers!

I'm not saying it's necessarily an economically sensible use of funds, but it's not hard to understand why unemployment rates are so low there.

I walked by someone fixing a lamp post or perhaps replacing a bulb. When I say someone I mean 2 men on cherry pickers, one guy at the bottom on the lorry, 3 men around with signs and barriers along . There were 6 people there in this tiny area.

I mean can you imagine how long it will take the UK to fix this sink hole?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....-vast-fukuoka-city-sinkhole-repaired-two-days

Permabanned
OP
Our roads are an absolute embarrassment.

What do your politicians say about it?
Ours here are terrible a**holes which say they don't have money, and have no willingness at all to find money.
But... even I can find money with different EU funds and projects, the World Bank also supports infrastructure projects.

Caporegime
What do your politicians say about it?
Ours here are terrible a**holes which say they don't have money, and have no willingness at all to find money.
But... even I can find money with different EU funds and projects, the World Bank also supports infrastructure projects.
They promise more money for it, but it's not nearly enough. When you do the maths on the headline figures it works out to the most piddly amounts for each of the local councils, so it's not a wonder they all just do cheap patching jobs. There's more money for major infrastructure like motorways, but at a local level things are just terrible.

Permabanned
OP
They promise more money for it, but it's not nearly enough. When you do the maths on the headline figures it works out to the most piddly amounts for each of the local councils, so it's not a wonder they all just do cheap patching jobs. There's more money for major infrastructure like motorways, but at a local level things are just terrible.

Well, here, in towns and cities it is relatively good, the same with major infrastructure, they do indeed work on the motorways.
The problem is the condition of the infrastructure between smaller towns and cities, including economy-tourism-critical resorts and places of National importance. These get no funding at all, and we don't even get any promises, the politicians just force us to forget about these issues.

Soldato
The best roads I have seen was in Southern Spain around the Andalucia region. Billiard board smooth roads without any potholes. Such as this as a random example.

One of the problems in this country is that the services run under the roads so as soon as a new road is laid, it's being dug up again.

Permabanned
OP
The best roads I have seen was in Southern Spain around the Andalucia region. Billiard board smooth roads without any potholes. Such as this as a random example.

One of the problems in this country is that the services run under the roads so as soon as a new road is laid, it's being dug up again.

Yup, so familiar. The communication services run under the pedestrian walkways, but the water pipes / sewage run directly under the roads and even when someone needs to connect to these, the road gets dug up and then recovered again :o

Soldato
Japanese roads make ours look like third world.

They often work at night to fix them to avoid disruption.

The bridges and tunnels are amazing too.

All combined with an impressive railway network.

Plus they have 100 airports or something crazy like that.

Soldato
Japanese roads make ours look like third world.

They often work at night to fix them to avoid disruption.
They work overnight here in the UK, but not in residential areas unless it's an emergency of some sort. The amount of residents who complain about overnight roadworks, even emergency ones, is massive!

Soldato
Drove from Melbourne>Sydney> Brisbane>Cairns then inland back to Melbourne, must have done about 3000 miles and was massively impressed with the roads, even in the backwater towns they seemed to be constantly doing road improvement works, not like this **** hole country.

Man of Honour
Certainly isn't the UK. Some of my local roads look like the moon, it's get patched up and before you even realise it the patches fail and we're back to square one.
Yep, and it seems to be getting gradually worse each year. Despite the mild winter and lack of freezing. I have never seen the roads in such poor state with so many disentergrating pot holes. With no attempt to even patch.

Permabanned
OP
Yep, and it seems to be getting gradually worse each year. Despite the mild winter and lack of freezing. I have never seen the roads in such poor state with so many disentergrating pot holes. With no attempt to even patch.

The low quality of the base layer under the asphalt layer and presence of too much moisture, even without heavier conditions like snow and everyday freeze/melt, is the reason for the potholes.
There should be a universal global standard, probably the best would be if written by the Dutch or Japanese, and then acccepted everywhere else.

A pothole is a structural failure in a road surface, caused by failure primarily in asphalt pavement due to the presence of water in the underlying soil structure and the presence of traffic passing over the affected area.[1] Introduction of water to the underlying soil structure first weakens the supporting soil. Traffic then fatigues and breaks the poorly supported asphalt surface in the affected area. Continued traffic action ejects both asphalt and the underlying soil material to create a hole in the pavement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pothole

Back
Top Bottom