Retro console and games thread

Man of Honour
I would love an A4000, pricey though! IF you can find one..

There's tuts online for cleaning the heads on floppies for the Amiga so should be the same for the C64, just be careful.

The A4000 is lovely. Owned a 030 version of one for a while (1993-1996). The 060 Tower was it's replacement that I bought in 95. Weirdly, mine is an Escom machine but had a Commodore branding on it.. Possibly just using whatever parts were available at the time.

The 1541 is fairly easy to clean, just couldn't be bothered. ;) Will probably do a full service, clean and lube it when I do get around to it. Although, I am very tempted to get a SD2IEC and just load everything to SD card.

Soldato
Not much news in the way of retro from me, but I do have a big IKEA delivery coming tomorrow. Lots of KALLAX units to replace my cheapo B&M units. My OG Xbox can finally sit in a cube with the rest of the consoles now.

2x 8 cubed and 4x 4 cubed units on the way. Some of those are going in my server room so I can finally clear up boxes of cables and old crap :)

I plan on installing some LED strips on the console units to light the insides of the cubes. Should be a fun little project for the weekend.

Pictures when it's all done :D those units are perfect aren't they? I wanted to get some for my set up but it won't quite fit the alcove I use!

Talking of Og Xbox, I'm delving in to that scene now. Been offered s console for free by a friend so have got some games on the way and an RGB scart for it!

Picked up the original 3 splinter cell games for it today at 50p each, never played them so I'm looking forward to that. And in the post I have Panzer Dragoon and Outrun 2!

Associate
Looking for a bit of advice, i would like to stream/record c64 games, but not sure how to go about, i have an elgato hd i use for most other consoles i have but obvioulsy wont connect to a c64!...cheers

Man of Honour
Current state of my retro zone. Contains Saturn, MegaDrive, Wii, GameCube, Saturn, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, PS3 and my Framemeister into a small 1080P Sony TV and my retro Yamaha Amp bought from @lucid on this forum with lots of nice retro connections. The Cub monitor is for my home computers, of which I have circa 40 now, but use them on a 1 at a time basis as the keyboards gather dust and they take up more space typically.
40283487061_794d4e5662_k.jpg

I am adding another shelf shortly (old Stands Unique HiFi rack) which will contain my Neo Geo, 3DO, Master System, NES, PC Engine, Atari 7800 and Jaguar (incoming) and couple of other machines I am yet to decide on. Watch this space.

This is my less retro area with PS4, Xbox360 and Wii U bought from @merlin and mainly used for playing retro games
39572214204_e9f6244113_o.jpg

Soldato
Pictures when it's all done :D those units are perfect aren't they? I wanted to get some for my set up but it won't quite fit the alcove I use!

Talking of Og Xbox, I'm delving in to that scene now. Been offered s console for free by a friend so have got some games on the way and an RGB scart for it!

Picked up the original 3 splinter cell games for it today at 50p each, never played them so I'm looking forward to that. And in the post I have Panzer Dragoon and Outrun 2!

I'll definitely add some photos .

I remember the first time I played SC when it released way back when. I was blown away by the lighting and shadows .It may not seem much now, but back then being able to shoot out a light and drastically change how an environment looks was incredible.

Man of Honour
Looking for a bit of advice, i would like to stream/record c64 games, but not sure how to go about, i have an elgato hd i use for most other consoles i have but obvioulsy wont connect to a c64!...cheers

You may have to go old school. Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 or something like that and make a simple S-Video cable and capture that at 720x576 50hz pal. IIRC, you could even output 20mbps MPEG2 from the old Hauppage WinTV PVR USB2 I had. Not much use for streaming I know, but certainly more than good enough for youtube uploads, especially as the high resolution mode on the C64 was 320x200 (I think).

Soldato
Had an old 250GB Samsung IDE hard drive lying around (that was high end when I bought in circa 2004), so I softmodded an original Xbox I had lying around, then upgraded the hard drive.

I need to grab an IDE drive to do the same, CEX sell prepended 160gb drives for £8 so may take a gamble on that and hope I receive one that is supported. Got an Xbox that's already had the soft mod done being picked up tomorrow but just needs a hard drive swap so I can then back up my games. Been picking a few up and am looking forward to getting back in to xbox!

The guy giving me the xbox says the drive is playing up so found abothwr console local for £15 which i will pick up too to swap bits around and keep got spares.

Soldato
Current state of my retro zone. Contains Saturn, MegaDrive, Wii, GameCube, Saturn, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, PS3 and my Framemeister into a small 1080P Sony TV and my retro Yamaha Amp bought from @lucid on this forum with lots of nice retro connections. The Cub monitor is for my home computers, of which I have circa 40 now, but use them on a 1 at a time basis as the keyboards gather dust and they take up more space typically.
40283487061_794d4e5662_k.jpg

I am adding another shelf shortly (old Stands Unique HiFi rack) which will contain my Neo Geo, 3DO, Master System, NES, PC Engine, Atari 7800 and Jaguar (incoming) and couple of other machines I am yet to decide on. Watch this space.

This is my less retro area with PS4, Xbox360 and Wii U bought from @merlin and mainly used for playing retro games
39572214204_e9f6244113_o.jpg

Lovely set up there, nicely done and very tidy!

Man of Honour
Lovely set up there, nicely done and very tidy!

Cheers. I hate clutter, I am a clear desk sort of chap so spent time making them look neat and configuring the HDMI/Optical connections so I didn't have to mess around plugging and unplugging stuff. It's is not finished, the whole office will get rebuilt this year, new floors, paint, fitted office, but for now it will suffice. The desk with the PC/HDMI consoles is L shaped, so I have a clean desk to the right looking out over my front gardens, which is my main workspace when in my home office.

Soldato
Cheers. I hate clutter, I am a clear desk sort of chap so spent time making them look neat and configuring the HDMI/Optical connections so I didn't have to mess around plugging and unplugging stuff. It's is not finished, the whole office will get rebuilt this year, new floors, paint, fitted office, but for now it will suffice. The desk with the PC/HDMI consoles is L shaped, so I have a clean desk to the right looking out over my front gardens, which is my main workspace when in my home office.

Sounds like a perfect place to kick back mate well done :)

I think that's my issue right now is I haven't got a solution in place to have all the systems hooked up at once so I have to swap the rgb leads around etc. Must get on that soon!

Associate
Is there any website which gives an indication on what original NES games are worth? We're moving soon and I'm having a clear out, found a couple of boxed games and some that aren't.

If it helps, I've got:
Super Mario Bros - Unboxed
Rainbow Islands - Unboxed
Duck Tails - Unboxed
Double Dragon - Unboxed
Double Dragon 2 - In a plastic Nintendo Sleeve
Double Dragon 3 - Boxed no instructions
Solstice - Boxed with instructions

Last edited:
Soldato
Is there any website which gives an indication on what original NES games are worth? We're moving soon and I'm having a clear out, found a couple of boxed games and some that aren't.

If it helps, I've got:
Super Mario Bros - Unboxed
Rainbow Islands - Unboxed
Duck Tails - Unboxed
Double Dragon - Unboxed
Double Dragon 2 - In a plastic Nintendo Sleeve
Double Dragon 3 - Boxed no instructions
Solstice - Boxed with instructions

I'm not sure if there's a dedicated spreadsheet but that would be great. I tend to use a mixture of CEX trade in price with their selling price and land somewhere in the middle, eBay tends to offer the higher prices but of course you need to account for fees etc

Soldato
Have ordered an Analogue Super NT, can't wait for it to come. Have a framemeister so can easily upscale my SNES, but this will make it a lot easier for me. Wish they'd re-release the NT Mini in a cheaper HDMI only version.

I've ordered the black one yesterday after seeing it on Linus tech tips. Just seen that it has been jail broken already.

Is it best to buy carts for titles that uses a special chip. I think Yoshi's island is a special chip cart? I'm not familiar with all this. I just used to whack the cart in and play as a kid.

Soldato
My reintroduction to the original xbox has begun! Console on the left was a gift from a friend, soft modded but he told me the disc drive was on its last legs so found the one on the right for £15 with the jet set radio combo disc. It was filthy but have cleaned it up and it's drive works well so I aim to swap that drive in to the left hand console!

Looking forward to playing these, only played Halo back Then, none of the others. Also waiting for Panzer Dragoon and Outrun 2 in the post! Not bad this lot totalled £31.50 ;)

yUnfSnx.jpg

Soldato
My reintroduction to the original xbox has begun! Console on the left was a gift from a friend, soft modded but he told me the disc drive was on its last legs so found the one on the right for £15 with the jet set radio combo disc. It was filthy but have cleaned it up and it's drive works well so I aim to swap that drive in to the left hand console!

Looking forward to playing these, only played Halo back Then, none of the others. Also waiting for Panzer Dragoon and Outrun 2 in the post! Not bad this lot totalled £31.50 ;)

You're in for a treat with Timesplitters.

Soldato
You're in for a treat with Timesplitters.
Really looking g forward to trying that one out! Been on Crimson Skies all evening, great fun!

Tidied up my little server room.

retro1.jpg

Replace cheap B&M shelving units with IKEA KALLAX, fitted the backing myself and also cut out a little recess for 3 lots of 2m RGB LED strips.

retro2.jpg
retro3.jpg

This looks fantastic, congrats great job. I need a solution to hook all my consoles! Currently constantly switching RGB leads in and out. What do you use here?

Back
Top Bottom