• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade itch, am i mad to want an 8600k with new Ryzen around the corner?

Associate
I really don't know, you tell me.

Are you a strictly a gamer, prefer single threaded performance or is there something else. Can't be performance per dollar.

With an updated Ryzen on the horyzen (sorry) and Intel's Meltdown efforts I certainly can not see any reason at all to consider an 8600k.

Soldato
OP
I really don't know, you tell me.

Are you a strictly a gamer, prefer single threaded performance or is there something else. Can't be performance per dollar.

With an updated Ryzen on the horyzen (sorry) and Intel's Meltdown efforts I certainly can not see any reason at all to consider an 8600k.

Big gamer and would love to move to Ryzen but the whole 'need specific memory' to get the best out of it? yeah see you later i'll have intel. If new Ryzen just works with all memory i'd be a happy camper and wait till april.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Ryzen memory compatabilty is much improved since launch, and I would imagine one of the big updates from the Ryzen refresh will be further memory compatability. It's also not dificult to buy known memory that works with ryzen without issue now; it was only back at launch when nobody had one that it was luck of the draw.

Soldato
OP
Depends on whether you want the absolute best gaming performance. It comes with a price tag though.
What is your GPU and are you likely to upgrade that GPU in future?

I have a 1070 super jetstream and im happy with it, at least until gfx card prices stop being insane. I have no idea when sense will kick back in so until then my 1070 is more than enough :)

Oh and as a PS: i have a 6600k, its a nice chip but im just thinking of when i'll need 6/8 cores, at the moment 6600ks are tanking in price so worried about holding on to it too long.

Soldato
I have a 1070 super jetstream and im happy with it, at least until gfx card prices stop being insane. I have no idea when sense will kick back in so until then my 1070 is more than enough :)

I have a 1070 also and I came from a 1700 to a 8700k . The 1700 was OK for the most part but there are certain games that made it fall over thus my reasoning for going for a 8700k, and the fact I'm using a 165hz monitor.
What games do you play?

Associate
used ryzen 1700 @ 3.9 @ 3200 CL14 ram since launch, swapped to 8700K @ 5 not a single regret, got really tired of ryzen potato singlecore perf, and crappy fps and that`s at 1440p

Soldato
Different stuff actually, Dishonored 2, Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Assassins Creed Origins. Plus many emulators reliving my younger days :D PCS3 seems to like many cores so its one of the reasons im thinking of the upgrade.

If emulators are your thing then I'd have to recommend intel. The other games you listed will be fine on ryzen however.
@oldbanana I hear you, same thing my end.

Associate
I use my ryzen 1800 for VM's (server) so a little off track from yourself. However as i allocate cores to VM's i fall short to the core performance and although fine i havent seen any change from my 2700k which was running 4.8ghz.

I would wait, most defiantly.

Soldato
I had the same last year, was looking at a 7700k but waited a few months for Ryzen to compare. Ended up with 1700 which has been fine for me with no problems except initially buying Hynix based ram without realising. I play bf1, the division etc. all good, bf1 at 1080p 100-144fps cpu around 30%.

Best to wait and see what suits you best. The Gpu prices now are crazy.

Permabanned
If You want ryzen You NEED to get TeamGroup 8pack Ryzen memory. That way You can run it with no problems and at maximum settings.

Bth I'm getting ******* sick of people constantly whining and moaning on All forums. That theirs ryzen is unstable stutters bsods ect. As its 95% of time due to **** memory kits. Yes support got better still samsung single rank B die for ryzen or DONT BOTHER.

If it hoes for Zen+ thats almost here id say 4.4 will be max they will go inder custom water like mine. If my crystal ball is right then will be great for gaming.

Caporegime
If You want ryzen You NEED to get TeamGroup 8pack Ryzen memory. That way You can run it with no problems and at maximum settings.

Bth I'm getting ******* sick of people constantly whining and moaning on All forums. That theirs ryzen is unstable stutters bsods ect. As its 95% of time due to **** memory kits. Yes support got better still samsung single rank B die for ryzen or DONT BOTHER.

If it hoes for Zen+ thats almost here id say 4.4 will be max they will go inder custom water like mine. If my crystal ball is right then will be great for gaming.

Thats complete and utter nonsense.

I'm running the cheapest ram i could get a hold of (16GB Corsair LPX 3000Mhz) £180, and the cheapest B350 motherboard i could get a hold of, ASRock AB350 Pro 4 (£75) i set the XMP profile and selected 3000Mhz, it took 10 seconds and has been running 100% stable since i set it like that.

The Ram thing was an issue very early on, with it being a brand new architecture, Ryzen had exactly the same problems Intel had with X99 which was their first adventure with DDR4. everyone seems to have forgotten about Intel nightmares with DDR4.

At this point all you do is update the BIOS on your new board, if its an old one, set your ram to its rated speed and away you go, that's it.

Back
Top Bottom