I think I killed my 4790K when I delidded it

Associate
I used the Rockit Cool 88 delid kit and everything went smoothly. I applied thermal grizzly, put the IHS back on with the provided guide tool (I did not re-glue the IHS back on) and then popped it back into my system. The MB turns on but I get post code 'C'. I double checked the EPS power cables and everything was correct.

I also tried to reset BIOS, took out CMOS batter, tried separate BIOS on the MB, tried 1 stick of RAM... still gives me 'C' for post code.

The die looks fine as well as the PCB on the CPU. I do not see any bent pins on the MB.

Here are pictures of the CPU and socket: https://imgur.com/a/bYCIz

I'm okay(kinda) with loosing out on the CPU but I want to how I ****** up so I can correct it next time. I feel like I have tried everything but I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I upgrade

MB is a EVGA z97 classified

TIA for any help or recommendations.

Soldato
You've got a hair in the socket, I wonder if you used enough Grizzly as I can see the lower part of the die hasn't got any on it, you can kill them like that if you don't dissipate the heat from the whole die. It looks fine otherwise so I'd get back with the liquid metal and just fill that little bit in and hope that is the problem.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the replies everyone, I did notice the hair in the socket and removed that. The missing liquied metal on the endge of the die was because I was in the process of cleaning the liquied metal and reapplying it so it was not like that when I was testing it in the MB.
Is that a scratch?

drw6gMc.jpg
I did notice that, it is not a scratch or liquied metal (im honestly not sure what it is because it took quite a while of rubbing it with a mircofiber cloth and isopropyl alcohol to get it removed.). I cleaned it off and retested but still no dice.

Thanks again everyone, I’ve went ahead and upgraded to the 8700k and will NOT be attempting a delid . I will also be testing the PSU soon just in case moving it out of the case caused it to break .

Associate
OP
and the best guess to what happened would be whatever that stuff was by the little capacitors was conductive and cause a short on the traces of the pcb?

Soldato
Nail varnish is not the best idea, the quality and ingredients can vary wildly. It would be better to use Kapton tape or the like. Kapton tape is designed specially for use with electrical components and is heat resistant beyond the temperatures you'll find in a PC.

Associate
I used high temp gasket silicon (sensor safe), and put a little dab of that on the SMD's, and allowed to set before glueing the lid back with the silicon.

Back
Top Bottom