**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
I am in need of 4X tyres for my subaru.

I was VERY close to buying Rainsport 3s (The car will never see track - does get 'spirited' driving sometimes) however reading online i have heard these wear out really quickly and have a soft sidewall.

I am now looking at AD08Rs but i am wondering if they are going to be overkill?

Any other recommendations?

Soldato
Fair play to tyresonthedrive.com, I sent them an invoice for £270 for TPMS and £72 for fitting and within a few days it's back in my bank account. Granted, the error shouldn't have happened in the first place, but it's nice to find a company that doesn't try and wriggle out of their responsibilities.

Soldato
Had the Eagle F1 AS3s fitted to my E93 at the weekend and liking them so far, not a night and day difference from the Potenza run flats they replaced but definitely smoother and better grip.

If you're talking about the Potenza RE050A - you will notice a giant leap in wet weather performance. I have no idea how they still fit these tyres to cars.

They're like the modern day equivalent of the Pirelli P6000.

Soldato
I don't remember which ones it was but I think I did have the Potenza RE050A on my MCS in 2011 and they were bloody terrible, so I don't think it was them on the BMW.

I've ordered Potenza S001 RFT for my X3 (basically the only tyre I could find in the size), but they are supposedly a much better tyre being third generation run flats now... will see.

Soldato
Looking for a new set of replacement tyres. Below is my short list. Any thoughts?

Kumho V70A 180.00 * 4 = 720

Yokohoma AD08 128.39 * 4 = 520

Nankang AR1 163.5 * 4 = 655

Michelin CUP2 148.61 * 4 = 600

TOYO R888 135 * 4 = 540

Decided to go for R888 in the end. However, Demon Tweeks gave me a call moments later, to inform me that they have been discontinued.

I should receive my R888Rs later today. Anyone given these a try?

Soldato
Hoping for some quick advice before purchasing on Blackcirles... Buying a full set of tyres for my CRV, and have got it down to these:

Uniroyal RainExpert 3 SUV
Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season
Continental Conti4x4Contact

All much of a muchness, or is their a superior choice between them?

Soldato
My Michelin PS4 tyres are coming to the end of their life and will need replacement in the next couple of months, they're done jsut shy of 30k miles so I am very impressed with them.

I'm quite happy to get the same again, but are there any other options I should be looking at? Ideally something which will last somewhere near as long and perform well. Size is 225/40/18.

Caporegime
My Michelin PS4 tyres are coming to the end of their life and will need replacement in the next couple of months, they're done jsut shy of 30k miles so I am very impressed with them.

I'm quite happy to get the same again, but are there any other options I should be looking at? Ideally something which will last somewhere near as long and perform well. Size is 225/40/18.

No.

Soldato
After a Really scary moment the other day I have lost all faith in Rainsports...

Seen lots of stuff about Pilot sport 4s and can get them for £94 each from camskill.

Worth it?

Soldato
After a Really scary moment the other day I have lost all faith in Rainsports...

Seen lots of stuff about Pilot sport 4s and can get them for £94 each from camskill.

Worth it?

From my experience with PS4's (are you referring to the 4's or 4S?), they are ruddy great. Mine are around 2-3mm now and still give me confidence in the wet.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I had them years ago, they're not amazing, but if you have a really scary moment with them fitted to your car, I'd suggest the tyres aren't the problem. They're an average mid range, non sporting tyre, hardly a Wanli or an Arrowspeed or something.
This. What happened @Diagro ?

I've had some dodgy moments in the Chevy Turd Spark, but I know the BF Goodrich winter tyres are ***** and I was driving too fast for the conditions and hadn't checked the tyre pressures in over a year :o

Soldato
Was it in the wet? Or did the sidewalls fold over when you cornered hard?

Need more info on scariness

Well... I also put it down to myself too being at fault.

I had a newish Golf R very close up behind, he was urging me to pick up the pace a little down the country roads. So I decided to have a little play.

I put my foot down, and being a FWD car with around 310+ BHP my car decided it didn't really want to do as it was told. Especially as I had just come onto a damp curve.

Cue the car torque steering and my slight over correction, leading to a snake like two and fro down the road as the back end also decided it didn't want to stay put.

For me personally, it was a really scary moment, I actually thought I was going to end up going off road and loosing my car.

I really think it was down to the tyres, not being able to handle the power and then not being able to deal with the corrections I was attempting.

So a bit of both, driver issue and tyre.

All I can do, is get try and fix this.. and first is to move the rainsports to the rear and get some better tyres (PS4) for the front.

Last time I try and play with a 4wd who's up my bum lol

Back
Top Bottom