How organised is your food shopping ?

Soldato
so how organised are you with your food shop,do you run your stock levels right down or top up with small shops ,or maybe do a big mega shop and fill a chest freezer ?
asking as i feel im spending too much on impulse purchases maybe 3 times a week then going home and still having nothing in (apart from wine and pringles :))

Caporegime
One weekly shop for a family of three. We tend to go from full to empty in the fridge over the course of the week.

The wife will occasionally nip across to Sainsbury’s if we’re running dangerously low on the essentials, or we forgot something at the weekend, but for the most part it’s the single weekly shop, with planned meals for the week.

Soldato
I do a menu/meal plan for 7 days on Tuesday evening, then food shop on the Wednesday after I travel to a larger town to take my daughter swimming. I only buy the stuff that is needed for the next seven days, excluding the more staple items such as butter/cheese/milk/cereal etc that get added as and when to the shopping list. I never impulse buy, and I even write out my shopping list in the order it appears in the store. It means I can be in and out in double time :)

Caporegime
I do a menu/meal plan for 7 days on Tuesday evening, then food shop on the Wednesday after I travel to a larger town to take my daughter swimming. I only buy the stuff that is needed for the next seven days, excluding the more staple items such as butter/cheese/milk/cereal etc that get added as and when to the shopping list. I never impulse buy, and I even write out my shopping list in the order it appears in the store. It means I can be in and out in double time :)
Same, though we usually get it delivered. The wife and I trawl the cookbooks and old copies of good food magazine, pick the meals, then write out a list. Family of four, cost is £100 or so per week, sometimes more if we’re getting lots of meat or if we need to stock up on cleaning stuff like washing liquid or dishwasher tablets. Most stuff cooked from scratch though there’s usually some frozen crap in the freezer, fishfingers or whatever, in case we can’t be arsed one day.

Soldato
Pretty well organised, I usually get 2 separate online shops per week as I have a Sainburys delivery pass and make the most of it. One delivery for weekend stuff (fresh bread, stuff for weekend meals, beer, wine), and then a shop that arrives on Sunday with fresh produce/meat for the week. Both shops I spread things like washing powder or cat food over to get it over the £40 minimum free delivery. Sometimes I walk into the village and get meat from the butcher if we want a nice steak or something.

Soldato
It’s worked out as we go round but we are careful to buy what we need not what we want with random impulse purchases. Also off to Aldi or similar for generic stuff like washing powder, bleach etc.

Soldato
I'm organised ish, we do 1 weekly shop and i alternate between 2 or 3 weeks at Lidl and then 1 at either Tesco or Morrisons to get the stuff you can't get in Lidl.

My wife and i have a shared google keep list which we update through the week so i know if there's anything special we need.

I tend to have a rough idea in my head when going around on what meals i'll be making with the things im picking up and stop putting things in the trolley when i get to 7.

Associate
A group did a survey some years ago in which they approached shoppers outside the supermarket after they had made a purchase. They were asked if they made any purchase on impulse. All admitted doing impulse buying except one person. This was quite a large sample size.
They asked this person what prevented him from buying on impulse. He stated, "I have a list of goods to be bought and I stick to it."
He was finally asked his occupation. He replied he as a managing director of a large store.

Associate
Our shopping is a bit hit and miss to be honest but we do keep a larder of basic ingredients. Beans, chopped tomatoes, pastes, herbs, spices chickpeas etc etc etc. Which would probably last us 2-6 weeks depending on whether we have bothered to go shopping or not (over and above milk, beard and fresh veg etc)

My wife come from a family which only had enough food in the cupboard for that weeks meals and nothing more. She told me once that she found it quite depressing that she couldn’t just go into the cupboard and make something adhoc if she had friends over.

Don
I’m massively anal about my shopping :o

I’ve got two shopping lists, one is a weekly shop for fresh stuff and stuff I’ve run out of.

The other is non-fresh stuff that I’ll only buy when it’s on offer or I’ve got coupons.

Soldato

I'm pretty much the same, but my list is not in any particular order!

Commissario
We had to get into the "big delivery twice a week" method a couple of years ago as I didn't have the time/energy to go shopping when we were caring for my mother, so these days I'm pretty organised in terms of keeping track of what we've got, and what we are running low on.

I do tend to stock up on some items (usually small but can be stored for a long time) when they're on offer, and we've got a large freezer and large fridge freezer which helps, and as a general rule for "food cupboard" and freezer items I try to keep a spare pack of and order replacements when the open pack runs low, so in theory we shouldn't run out (although it falls down when I don't get told we're on the last box/pack and don't notice myself).

Soldato
I'm utterly useless at it, I probably call in at the co-op at the bottom of my street 4 days out of 5 on my way home from work. And I end up buying bags every time I go in because I've never got any on me...

Back
Top Bottom