i7 8700k Overclocking Question

Associate
Hi,

I’ve been out of the fold for about 10 years but have decided to get a new gaming rig, anyway picked up the components in my sig at the weekend and have it running with Windows 10 Home.

I have it Overclocked at 4.7 GHz with 1.31 Vcore, my Question is what counts these days as a stable stress test?

Back in the day it was Prime 95 but i’ve Heard conflicting information.

Anyway what would people recommend using? As I said it will be used primarily for gaming?

Thanks

Soldato
Managed to hit 5.1 Ghz with mine, 1.35v and a very high vrm temp but am on a ITX board!
This was using Asus Real bench and no AVX offset.
BUT - when running gaming benchmarks/ stress tests like Firestrike Stress test running for 8 hours straigh, VRM was 56c and core was 54c
I just use CPU stress tests to see how stable core is and min voltage it needs, then run game tests. If i was CPU rendering, then Id be dropping Speed and Voltage in a heart beat and that does cause max heat and stress!
tend to run tests from 2 hours to 4 for Gaming rigs and if its for a workstation build, min 24 hours as they are set to render for days at a time!

0spx6Wn.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Mine's 24 hours AIDA stable before I shut the test off but recently had a CPU related BSOD while gaming so had to up my voltages a tad. Prime95 is just way too much IMO. Only way to be 100% sure is to use it, if you get a BSOD, bump the voltage a bit until they go away.

Associate
OP
Ok cheers, I’ve got it running happy at 4.8ghz with 1.31 vcore, I also enabled Turbo LLC which has seemed to help.

I have run Cine Bench, RealBench and Intels Stress Test and all passed, temps were around 75 degrees.

If I run Prime 95 then temp hit 87 which I don’t like so not sure on where to go next.

Cheers

Associate
Mine is an 8min render in Davinci Resolve (free), best quality, 3440x1440@60hz. If it gets past that, and I'm happy with the temps, then i'll use prime for longer test, but generally the render is more demanding.

Soldato
Ok cheers, I’ve got it running happy at 4.8ghz with 1.31 vcore, I also enabled Turbo LLC which has seemed to help.

I have run Cine Bench, RealBench and Intels Stress Test and all passed, temps were around 75 degrees.

If I run Prime 95 then temp hit 87 which I don’t like so not sure on where to go next.

Cheers

yes Gigabte boards are funny without LLC turned on to turbo at least, if you can go extreme - might be able to push higher . LLC on turbo also helps with high ram speeds

Back
Top Bottom