GERMANIUM

Associate
I have also wondered that, and suspect they probably are not.

Given the additional cost of buying the process alone compared to a standard chip can’t how price wise it would fit it.

I would guess the CPU’s would have been tested and the better than average would be used in these to enable OC to offer a 3 year warranty on the pc overclocked.

Seen a lot of other builders selling similar computers being sold at 4.8 GHz with only a years warranty and no mention of a delid

Associate
In theory a delid would help push a further overclock, however its still in the silicon lottery gods. Have seen some people push 5+ on air cooling it just depends on the chip you have.

I did see a youtube video in terms of performance in games the difference between 4.8 and 5GHz in a couple of games was a matter of 2-3 FPS

I would guess though if you were to delid it would void the warranty.

Associate
To be honest it depends on how far you want to go and how you plan to use your system. Things like video editing, file compression, rendering where they can use multiple CPU cores will see the increases in performance with increased clock speed. In benchmarks i have seen going past 4.8 it may be that the differences are so small as a different area of the setup would be a bottle neck or is just the maximum performance with the components.

The price increases on the OC site would be or the following reasons 1) OC are guaranteeing that you can push this cpu to the speed you brought and be under thermal limits based on using the recommended cooling solution. plus offering a guarantee on the CPU. 2) When they buy the processors they would be playing the silicon lottery just like you would be buying retail and some chips overclock better than others. The likelihood of getting one that can be pushed to 5.2 is a lot smaller than getting a few processors that would do 4.8.

I cant find the exact video i saw with the benchmarks, but there are a few of them around this one is similar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2H73cLbyzI and he has overclocked the 8700k to 4.8, 5 and 5.1 if you skip to 3:30 to see the benchmarks he did.

My computers arriving on the 28th and i cant wait to fire it up.

Associate
Has anyone managed to find the PPID on the Z370-F motherboard yet? Only white sticker I can find is on the 24 PIN EATX socket but getting an error when I use that. The Asus guide is crap as gives no indication whatsoever as to the location of said PPID sticker.

Associate
We could do with some pics un-boxing and build etc :)

I am not one to video myself unboxing stuff. I prefer to get it out and hooked up as fast as possible. Here is one photo off my iPhone

Jesus how hard is it to share a photo on this damn forum.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bVeOXIph41KuE9nM2

bVeOXIph41KuE9nM2

bVeOXIph41KuE9nM2

Associate
For anyone interested the PPID sticker is at the top right of the board on the edge above the DIMM slots. Mine has top mount rad and fans which made it very difficult to read it. If you have yours front mounted you should be fine.

You need the first two sections in the format XXXXX-XXXXX (so 6 characters - 5 characters). You also need to provide and IBAN and IBIC code to recognise your bank account internationally. I'm with Natwest and it was easy to find on online banking under Account Summary -> View Account Details

Back
Top Bottom