Asus Xonar U7 - any good?

Soldato
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the Asus Xonar U7 (or maybe the cheaper U5): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...hone-amplifier-90yb00ab-m0uc00-sc-024-as.html

Does anyone know if they're any good?

I'm just using onboard sound at the minute. My speakers and headphones aren't anything special so I'm not sure I need it for the audio out, but whenever I'm on discord everyone says I'm really quiet and I don't know why (I've tried multiple headsets and multiple PCs). I was hoping something like this, with a microphone volume slider might enable me to turn up the microphone. I'm a little concerned that max volume will be what I currently have and all I'll be able to do is turn it down (which I really don't want).

So does anyone know if this will do what I want (or if there's another way to make my mic louder without reducing the quality)?

Thanks.

Soldato
If your motherboard has Realtek, there will be a microphone boost setting, which should help. Try that first before considering a sound card, possibly just for louder microphone volume..

Soldato
Sound card is likely the best option then. Not so much for louder volume, as the onboard audio would have been fine if it were not for the crackling noise; mainly better quality, would should be a lot better with a sound card.

I'd possibly go for the U5 over the U7 depending on how much cheaper it is. Just for the for microphone capabilities, I'm not sure there's much difference between the two.

Soldato
I'm thinking of buying the Asus Xonar U7 (or maybe the cheaper U5): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...hone-amplifier-90yb00ab-m0uc00-sc-024-as.html

Does anyone know if they're any good?
Headphone output doesn't look that hot with very low output voltage:
http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/asus-u7-hp.php#rw11
I think U5 is pretty much same just with standard budget level sound card D/A converter.

Normal Creative sound cards do better.
And for gaming those Xonars use Dolby Headphone, which is behind Creative's algorithms because of DH's bass bloat and echo.

In external USB sound cards of that price category there are few models.
So you need external USB sound card and don't have PCI-e slots?

Soldato
OP
Headphone output doesn't look that hot with very low output voltage:
http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/asus-u7-hp.php#rw11
I think U5 is pretty much same just with standard budget level sound card D/A converter.

Normal Creative sound cards do better.
And for gaming those Xonars use Dolby Headphone, which is behind Creative's algorithms because of DH's bass bloat and echo.

In external USB sound cards of that price category there are few models.
So you need external USB sound card and don't have PCI-e slots?
Well, here's my setup...

I've got 3 PCs connected through a KVM (with audio). I originally thought the audio pass through might be to blame, but I tried connecting the headset directly and it didn't seem to help. So I thought a soundcard might help and if I get a USB one then I can connect it via the KVM's USB port and all PCs can benefit from it.
Also I was wondering if the fact it'll be USB from the KVM to the PC rather than normal analogue (I think that's what 3.5mm connection are, aren't they?) maybe that will help if there's any signal degradation.

Soldato
Digitizing signal signal as close to source is certainly less risky than adding analog extensions.
Though crackling is more like internal interference and certainly it's no ground loop.
Direct connection to PC not helping hints about that.

If that KVM switch works like USB extension then it shouldn't affect USB sound cards.

I guess with that microphone you'll use it also for gaming, in which case binaural simulation would be good.
Assuming headphones are any decent it will improve immersion good amount. (and with good headphones besides direction you'll also sense distance)

Creative has few USB sound cards in that price class but for one with best DAC it's not sure if it can show as 5.1 device for Windows(=games) to get surrround input for binaural-simulation.
Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro and Sound Blaster Omni Surround 5.1 certainly can do that with analog 5.1 outputs.
Not sure if Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB is like internal X-Fi Titanium HD which has only two channel analog output, but showed as 5.1 capable device for Windows. (DD/DTS encoding for digital output)

Associate
I went with a u7 after getting terrible interference on my asus essence STX when I upgraded to an nvidia 1080ti (I tried various things to eliminate the interference but got nowhere).

I've got no complaints, in terms of audio quality it's close to, but not quite even with, the STX. It is certainly noticeably better than any onboard sound I've heard, up to and including my most recent motherboard which uses a realtek alc1220. Don't know if that helps :)

Soldato
I have the U7 Echelon Edition version of this device and while it has been pretty decent, ever since the W10 FCU it's been really finicky, and to be quite honest, ASUS driver support has been complete utter **** any way. :p

If you don't care about using Dolby Home Theater that comes with the card, running it in basic Windows USB driver is still fine.

Permabanned
That's nothing new for Aus support. From experience they're always a joke when it come to sound card drivers.

Caporegime
Mines just died :(

For a while it hasn't been coming on on startup odd time, so just unplugged and replugged, and its come back on, so changed USB ports, was fine for a bit, then just started doing it again, now, its totally gone, even when pressing the button on the top, it just double clicks, like its coming on, and going straight back off.

EDIT:

Not even clicking now, have to put me onboard on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mines just died :(

For a while it hasn't been coming on on startup odd time, so just unplugged and replugged, and its come back on, so changed USB ports, was fine for a bit, then just started doing it again, now, its totally gone, even when pressing the button on the top, it just double clicks, like its coming on, and going straight back off.

EDIT:

Not even clicking now, have to put me onboard on.
That kind progressively worsening problem is just like some capacitor dying...
Certainly driver problem shouldn't cause that kind symptoms.

If those USB ports work fine for other devices that would certainly confirm fault being in sound card.

Caporegime
That kind progressively worsening problem is just like some capacitor dying...
Certainly driver problem shouldn't cause that kind symptoms.

If those USB ports work fine for other devices that would certainly confirm fault being in sound card.

Yeah other devices in those ports work, when i swap it to others, i get the device malfunctioned coming up. :(

Good job ive got onboard to use in the meantime, as not be able to order one until next week, as got no chance of getting it delivered yet in this weather :D

Still does the double-clicks, only now and again, and when it does it, the little blue LED just flashes on/off.

EDIT: onboard on for now. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well this is very odd, i remembered i had a self powered USB hub somewhere, so i dug it out, and plugged it into that, bugger came on straight away, so tried it back in me rig, and back to double-clicky off/on, only works in the self powered hub. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom