Words / phrases that annoy you

Soldato
The upward inflection :(

That's the one, I can never remember the name of it. It's possibly the worst thing I've seen/heard happen to the English language in my lifetime.

I'd say it's as many as 8/10 people that do it, it's getting quite serious, from teenagers right up to OAPs. With some people it's like they don't even know they're doing it.

I just wish I could tell them how ridiculous it makes them sound, which reminds me of another phrase that seems to be bandied (not banded) about these days - 'trend sheep'.

Here's another one that's just come to me - people who use 'a lot' instead of 'a lot'.

'We're all a bit on tenderhooks', ******* 'tenderhooks'?! Wtf is a tenderhook?

Soldato
I hate it when people say 'my other half' in reference to their partner, it makes it sound like you're dependent on your partner to form, and to function as, a complete person.

Associate
A lot of my annoyances have already been covered, but one that I keep seeing and hearing... and makes me want to chew my own face off, is "on accident"...... seriously... it doesn't even sound right when you say it.

Thankfully I've not seen or heard it used in person, but I've heard plenty of high profile YouTubers using it and I did see it used on a respectable/professional website too.

Not sure if people just copy others saying it because it's some kind of cool new lingo... but personally I'd love to flog anyone that says it!

I'm under the impression, most of it is mishearing, misinterpreting, such as...

If you think that, you can thing again
if you think that, you've got another thing coming

I've heard these two lines too many times and they don't make sense, just mis-hearing in my opinion...

Associate
When people sign off emails with “Rgds”

Like it’s so much extra effort to write the word properly with the extra E, A & R

Associate
Synergy and "like" when it's used in every other word.
my CEO uses the word like every 2 seconds.. (& besides)... it doesnt like annoy me as such, like so far but like i find it amusing.. i have like told him in not so many words... but like no change..

and things like 'to be honest, i am lying to you, trust me' etc.. again they dont annoy me but still its like we dont know how to have a conversation

Man of Honour
CBA to read back, and i'm sure it's been mentioned , but ;

Emotional Rollercoaster

It's been a personal journey ( used in a non- travelling way )

Finding myself

Sometimes, if you are really unlucky, someone will use all 3 in the same short space of time for maximum effect.

Man of Honour
"It wasn't meant to be."

Supposed to justify everything that doesn't work out, everything that fails. Hate it.
I think it’s true when it comes to, say, blossoming relationships. Ultimately you’re compatible or you’re not. For seasoned relationships, that’s all a bit more complicated!

Associate
Living in Essex, the horrendous misuse of 'seen' and 'saw' and 'did' and 'done'.

The term 'robust'. I hear this multiple times on any given day; ie "let's ensure our procedures are robust".

The term 'au fait'. Only because I once had the misfortune of meeting a certain sales clown who decided it was a good tactic to tell people to "au fait yourselves with this" whilst pitching to a room of colleagues. Over and over again. I walked out.

Caporegime
I think it’s true when it comes to, say, blossoming relationships. Ultimately you’re compatible or you’re not. For seasoned relationships, that’s all a bit more complicated!
It's over-used tho.

Didn't get the job? "It wasn't meant to be."
Missed an appointment? "It wasn't meant to be."
House burned down? "It wasn't meant to be."

Last one is slightly facetious :p

Back
Top Bottom