Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
I would like to share my experience with the Aorus X5 so that it can help anyone on the fence. I bought the X3 and the build quality was not impressive and had issues with 3 units until I gave up on that model and bought the X5 instead. I have had the X5 for a month now and I can confirm that I had no issue with the machine. Everything works butter smooth and the thing is incredibly powerful. I even abandoned my desktop which is downstairs as it is freezing down there.

At the time of writing this there is an incredible deal on OCUK for the exact model I got. (even cheaper than what I paid for :(). They are even throwing in a backpack!!!!

I would like to thank @MiSJAH for sharing with me his experience. If I have to give it a con it would be the battery life (I know this is not a machine for maximum battery life) and heat (It can get a bit warm on the left side) but it doesnt overheat in anyway. The 4K panel is beautiful and Gsync makes everything smooth. Keyboard will need to get used to but once you do it is a joy to type. The metal finish feels super premium and the laptop is whisper quiet. You can control the fans from the Aorus Control Center (something some manufacturers still struggle to implement). I did not get a backpack as I did not buy from OCUK and bought it back in Jan T_T. Just be aware that the laptop is on the BIG side for an 15 inch so it will NOT FIT on some bags/backpacks. Weight is portable and quite amazing compared to the performance you are getting inside. I can happily say that I would recommend Aorus to anyone.

PS: I had a gigabyte motherboard which was still working after 4 years (It went through 3 PSU that I killed by hooking it up to a power hungry GPU) and it only stopped when I was repasting and accidentally broke a transistor. This board was mid range and gave me a great impression of gigabyte. Oh and I am still rocking my two gtx980 ti's by gigabyte.

Soldato
Hi oddjob62 - if the screen / bezel needs attention then please raise RMA with Mendit and get the unit in for repair, and also highlight the poor registration of the 5 key at the same time - both should be carried out under warranty and FOC to yourself (assuming no Customer Induced Damage).

No known issues of that ilk, but of course we want you to be 100% happy, not 99!

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Received my laptop back from Mendit. Was very surprised by the quick turnaround. Now 100% happy. Thanks Atom80.

Associate
well to follow up with my post about my faulty X5v7
I got it back after 2 ish weeks after shipping it to them in California.
I was told the motherboard was bad after sending a video. Wasn't told if that was confirmed or not.
Got it back and everything seems to be ok, except mine now has the keyboard issue where you cant ctrl+alt+ (shift, z, x, caps ect ect) which is a bummer.
But at least it fires up normally now.

I'm bummed because I paid extra to get IC diamond put on from at the retailer. Now I'm back to the crap stock paste.
I'm kinda paranoid about trying to reapply better stuff and suffer issues again.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I would like to share my experience with the Aorus X5 so that it can help anyone on the fence. I bought the X3 and the build quality was not impressive and had issues with 3 units until I gave up on that model and bought the X5 instead. I have had the X5 for a month now and I can confirm that I had no issue with the machine. Everything works butter smooth and the thing is incredibly powerful. I even abandoned my desktop which is downstairs as it is freezing down there.

At the time of writing this there is an incredible deal on OCUK for the exact model I got. (even cheaper than what I paid for :(). They are even throwing in a backpack!!!!

I would like to thank @MiSJAH for sharing with me his experience. If I have to give it a con it would be the battery life (I know this is not a machine for maximum battery life) and heat (It can get a bit warm on the left side) but it doesnt overheat in anyway. The 4K panel is beautiful and Gsync makes everything smooth. Keyboard will need to get used to but once you do it is a joy to type. The metal finish feels super premium and the laptop is whisper quiet. You can control the fans from the Aorus Control Center (something some manufacturers still struggle to implement). I did not get a backpack as I did not buy from OCUK and bought it back in Jan T_T. Just be aware that the laptop is on the BIG side for an 15 inch so it will NOT FIT on some bags/backpacks. Weight is portable and quite amazing compared to the performance you are getting inside. I can happily say that I would recommend Aorus to anyone.

PS: I had a gigabyte motherboard which was still working after 4 years (It went through 3 PSU that I killed by hooking it up to a power hungry GPU) and it only stopped when I was repasting and accidentally broke a transistor. This board was mid range and gave me a great impression of gigabyte. Oh and I am still rocking my two gtx980 ti's by gigabyte.

Hi @Sky01454 - Really appreciate you posting your feedback and glad to hear that you have had the experience that we hope to give our customers.

Thanks again,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi guys,
a small question on the RGB Fusion app for Aorus - how do you make so that all the keys on the keyboard are lit by the press of any key - and then turned off after say 5 sec or so? I have Dell Latitude (the business ultrabook) and got used to this scheme.
Many thanks!

Once I would set my mind, I will do a review on X5 V7 - still need to fine tune it to see in full capacity.

Associate
I'm not sure you can get the entire keyboard to light when touching a single key.

You can get a single key to light up using the Flash on Keypress option in Fusion, and use the Speed slider to control how long it stays lit for:

hUyDYdg.png

I hope this helps.

Associate
But then how are you supposed to work (type) in the low-light conditions? May be any third party application could do it, has anyone checked?

Set the app to Static? This lights the entire keyboard.

What's the objective for only having the keyboard to temporarily illuminate if you are working in low light?

Associate
I bought an X7 v7 CF1 from ** no competitor naming ** and after a day of trying to do work on it it drove me so insane I'm returning it. I am used to working on laptops, I have a Dell XPS17 an an old MacBookPro 17 inch and an very happy working on both without external keyboards or mice.

But I feel Aorus have completely failed the get the very basics right with this machine and its SO bad I personally consider it unusable for work.

First of all the WiFi is completely useless. It drops continuously as soon as you load a web page or any other progs try to access the internet. Admittedly I am quite a way from my router, but the aforementioned laptops have no connection issues, and never have had. Open the box boot them up, they work and have worked ever since.

Also they get 20Mb/s on my connection and the Aorus even when it has a connection gets 1Mb/s. Its simply unacceptable on a machine at this price point in 2018. I have tried updating the drivers using the included software but to no avail. But even if that did solve it, the machine should ship with drivers that work!!!

But far worse than that is the catastrophically bad keyboard. The actual typing experience is acceptable, but where it becomes completely useless is if you try to do any common keyboard shortcuts.
Ctrl Shift and any of the arrow keys are all screwed up so no fast nudging in Photoshop, you cannot press the space bar and click and drag at the same time. You cannot use numerous keyboard combinations in Blender. etc etc and I have read other users having issues with Word and Excel short cuts too, generally involving pressing Ctrl + Shift + something else.

My left shift key, possibly the most important and often used key on the entire keyboard, sticks momentarily when its pressed unless you press the bottom right corner of the key. I have read loads of other users having issues with other random keys sticking. Its clearly pathetic quality. Seriously Id say they should focus on making a keyboard that actually works, before they add all comparatively useless lighting effects.

The touch pad feels crappy and is (and the logo on it spoils the entire design of the laptop in my opinion). It continuously fails to understand click and drags which makes it a massive pain to use. Apple had this buttonless track pad sussed about 8 years ago, why do PC manufacturers have such an issue?!?

And when its noisy, it really is pretty noisy. I could live with it though because when its no under pressure its damn near silent.

I also cannot believe how little difference the processor in this machine makes compared to the processor in my Dell (XPS 2017 2770 or something, top of the second generation anyways) according to moores law I should see a speed improvement somewhere between twice and three times as fast. I ran PCMark on the machine, and the results are correct so there is nothing wrong with it, but a render that took 12 mins on the Dell, took 10mins on the Aorus. I was expecting 6mins or less. I know this is not Aorus's fault, but it only added to my disappointment. How come I havent been reading any articles about how Moores Law is dead if processors aren't really getting faster any more?

Anyway, it could be, should be (at the price) a great machine, graphics are great, case is great, (although I am extremely concerned by that user who says that the hinge only lasts a year before the plastic comes unstuck- this is why I want an aluminium machine, precisely so it does NOT fall apart after a couple of years- I want Apple build quality basically), screen is beautiful. but its really let down by not getting basics right that computers costing 1/3 the price get right with ease.

Its the most disappointing computer I have ever bought. And because of the Keyboard and WiFi issues I'm returning mine to *** for a refund. I'll have to wait for the next generation of laptops to come out to see if anyone else will make a slim aluminium laptop with similar specs, that is actually useable in a productivity scenario (and has wifi that works)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
It seems like both issues are design flaws and cannot ever be fixed with updates. The wifi issues sound like the antennas dont work and the keyboard issues are because its not an anti-ghosting keyboard apparently, either way according to a guy on the Aorus forum its a physical limitation of the keyboard design, and its just not possible to sort it out with firmware updates.

Last edited:
Associate
@Atom80 will there be any 120hz Aorus Laptops returning to OCUK anytime soon? The 120hz models for X5, X7 & X9 are all listed as unavailable for me. I previously had the X7 Pro Sync and was in love with the performance and build of the laptop, so I really want my next purchase to be an Aorus.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
@Atom80 will there be any 120hz Aorus Laptops returning to OCUK anytime soon? The 120hz models for X5, X7 & X9 are all listed as unavailable for me. I previously had the X7 Pro Sync and was in love with the performance and build of the laptop, so I really want my next purchase to be an Aorus.

Hi Billy418.....

No is the simple answer. However, rumour has it there is going to be something better..... 144Hz my sources tell me :)

Keep tuned in :)

Thanks for your interest,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Anyone experiencing issues with the kick-stand sticky feet supplied with latest variants of X5 and/or X7?

The sticky back on mine are becoming very weak and no longer adhere to the back panel very strongly. They have not been re-positioned or re-applied. I presume that the heat from the notebook may have had some detrimental effect on the glue? In any case, how can I go about obtaining replacements please?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Anyone experiencing issues with the kick-stand sticky feet supplied with latest variants of X5 and/or X7?

The sticky back on mine are becoming very weak and no longer adhere to the back panel very strongly. They have not been re-positioned or re-applied. I presume that the heat from the notebook may have had some detrimental effect on the glue? In any case, how can I go about obtaining replacements please?

hello, @hello_moto :)

If you send us TRUST message, assuming you are UK customer, we can arrange for some new sticky feet to be sent to you FOC.

Let us know on here,when you have sent message and we will arrange for you.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Back
Top Bottom