Travelling with medications which require refrigeration

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Howdy all,

Hopefully taking my little one on his first ever holiday real soon, however he still requires prescribed medication daily and one bottle needs to be stores in the fridge.

Has anyone here travelled abroad with refrigerated medicine (insulin perhaps?) and able to advise the methods they used?

My thoughts were a cooler bag with ice/gel packs, but I am curious how airport security will be - are there any which are specifically for transporting medication?

Travel time will most likely be approx 6 hours between house to hotel.

Associate
In terms of taking medication on a plane, speak to your doctors. They will provide you with a letter for airport security to check if needed. That said they have never checked mine, but it's better to have the letter just in case! My medication lasts fine not in a fridge, so can't really comment on ice packs etc.

Dave

Soldato
Most medications are always allowed with prescription. As for transport, surely a small cooler bag would do the job? Obviously find the balance, you wouldnt want it to freeze.

Associate
Mine is little glass viles of liquid and comes with syringes, if it were just tablets or something you shouldn't need a letter. Unless you are taking thousands of them!

Dave

Associate
I've only flown once but taking my insulin, needles and all that gear on was no problem. Had a letter from my GP but it wasn't needed, just mentioned it, shoved it in the little box to get scanned and no further questions. Also drove to Switzerland and back with no more than a powered coolbox.

Also, I'm guessing it's not actually insulin you're taking so it may be different, but it doesn't actually need to be stored in the fridge, just need to avoid massive temperature changes, so don't leave them in a boiling hot car or room. Never had a problem leaving them in my locker at work for up to 14 hours a day or so.

Man of Honour
Also check the legal side of the medication where you are going - its surprising sometimes what is and isn't banned in a country and even with proper medical supporting evidence can be tricky even when you get it pre-authorised by the relevant authority for that country.

I don't think its a problem these days but my brother in law used to have a huge problem flying to and from Egypt with his diabetes medication due to stuff like that.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thank you all.

Regarding the passage through the airport - the wife is on top of this and is getting notes from the GP and also extra prescriptions in case we have issues coming home. So that shouldn't be an issue really but I will confirm with BHX and the airline additionally.

A cooler bag/pouch with gel packs is currently my only solution, and seems sound if all legit - I just hope I can find a decent one which will not melt (as hoping to do an even longer journey later on in the year). has anyone any recommendations?

In terms of the legality of the medication abroad, I thought I should just double check and a google seems to suggest this medication may be available over the counter there which is strange as here it has to be prescribed... if true it is a big help. I am not sure how to confirm this, I may get a Spanish colleague to call a Pharmacy abroad to be certain. Either way I will still be taking his own along with us to be 100% safe.

Caporegime
It won't be the slightest problem. Literally tens on thousands go through airport security daily. I bet they have seen everything and then some more. I'd just do a chill bag, smallest possible and in hand luggage. If that's an issue they will move it into the hold.

Go online to any big Spanish pharmacy and ask them.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thanks e4 :)

I've found a couple of cooler pouches, just trying to make sure I get a decent one.

Also confirming the ability to get a repeated prescription over the counter of a farmacia... a big worry negated if true.

Thanks all for the advice. Any recommendations on a cooler pouch/bag would be appreciated :)

Caporegime
Is it to a developed (non-****hole country?) in which case you ought to be OK (though worth checking the rules for each country regardless).

I've got some medication that needs to be refrigerated and when I was prescribed it I was told I can get documentation if going on holiday with it - the added complication for me is that it also (supposedly) can't be put through an X-Ray machine at the airport (at least this is what I was told by the nurse who taught me how to inject it etc.. but have since seen conflicting stuff online) so I'd need a document to show to airport security etc... but this sort of thing is well established and security have no doubt seen plenty of diabetics, IBD suffered etc.. come through with a cool bag + prescription

I've not got a bag (yet) but have seen this recommended before:

https://medactiv.com/en/transport-of-medication/37-icool-prestige.html

Soldato
As above get a Frio

I travel all the time with Insulin - it doesn’t really need to be refrigerated. Depending on where I’m going I just take double of what I need as the main issue is actually getting it overseas. In some countries like Malaysia and Philippines it can just be bought over the counter.

Airlines are no problem, just landed in Tokyo yesterday with few boxes of Insulin and a couple of 100 needles - wasn’t even questioned.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, the Frio doesn't cool enough as it is only for insulin.

The iCool looks OK, I've also seen the medpac version which seems to be reviewed well.

Associate
Have you checked it needs to be kept at 5c? As above my insulin can be kept out the fridge for a while.
Don't put the medicine in the hold as the temperature is uncontrolled. So it can go from very cold to very hot.

What about pre chilling a cool bag then disposing the cool pack before security. It should stay cold depending on how far you are travelling? Could have another bag of freeze packs in hold luggage which you use to top up when landed and out the airport?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
OP
Yeh unfortunately it has to be fridge temp. Some with the gel packs appear to keep them between 2-8c for 24hrs which is what I'm ordering I think. Fingers crossed :)

Soldato
Firstly you will probably need a letter from your doctor approving its carriage and stating it will need to be taken with you on the pane, especially if it's more than 100ml.

Secondly medicines often have a "time out of fridgeration" figure and a "shelf life if un-refrigerated". Check what these are for this medicine. For instance my hunira could be out for a few hours, and if these was passed had to be used in 14 days.

For my humira I did as you suggest, freezer blocks and a small cooler.

Back
Top Bottom