**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

maj

maj

Soldato
So my partner's mother bought a Gretel A9 from Amazon. It looked okay for the price etc. However apparently there's some Chinese apps on there that show inappropriate ads. Disabling the addon they believe to be responsible is only a temporary fix as it seems to enable itself after a certain time so I've been asked to have a look at it. My initial thought was to see if I could take root ownership of it and if so, then look to uninstall the app completely.

If for some reason that doesn't work then I was thinking of putting an official ROM on it but they don't seem to have any on their website. Is there some sort of compatibility checklist to be aware of if I were to attempt to put a custom rom on it? (Let's say Lineage as an example)

Soldato
So my partner's mother bought a Gretel A9 from Amazon. It looked okay for the price etc. However apparently there's some Chinese apps on there that show inappropriate ads. Disabling the addon they believe to be responsible is only a temporary fix as it seems to enable itself after a certain time so I've been asked to have a look at it. My initial thought was to see if I could take root ownership of it and if so, then look to uninstall the app completely.

If for some reason that doesn't work then I was thinking of putting an official ROM on it but they don't seem to have any on their website. Is there some sort of compatibility checklist to be aware of if I were to attempt to put a custom rom on it? (Let's say Lineage as an example)

I'm guessing Lineage would be the best option.

Associate
Cheers guys, have they already been released in India? Saw flipkart advertisement but now unable to see it.

Excited, for it's release just real shame it's not already out! :D

maj

maj

Soldato
Downloading Lineage 8.1 for my Mi5 and download going to take three hours?!

edit: Cancelled download and tried again. Downloaded it a minute. That was weird.

maj

maj

Soldato
Think I've just bricked my phone. I downloaded the wrong Lineage OS (I somehow ended up with capricorn instead of gemini) and when I've gone to install the OS, it's said that it is wrong version. I've already wiped data and cache though so there's no OS to boot into. Is there anyway of sorting this?

Associate
Think I've just bricked my phone. I downloaded the wrong Lineage OS (I somehow ended up with capricorn instead of gemini) and when I've gone to install the OS, it's said that it is wrong version. I've already wiped data and cache though so there's no OS to boot into. Is there anyway of sorting this?

Capricorn is for the Mi5S.

Oh another gretel rom https://www.needrom.com/download/gretel-a9-deodex/

Soldato
So my phone was eventually delivered. Didn't have to pay any import duty :) and didn't sign for the delivery - The royal mail sight just shows and error when I check my delivery reference still and Singapore post has not been updated either - Glad it wasn't lost in delivery. Now that I have the phone and updated to Oreo I am really, really impressed with this phone the only down side is the camera isn't outstanding indoors but its better than my old LG G2 camera. If you are considering the Xiaomi Mi A1 phone its well worth the £160 price tag

How you finding jt? Got one in the basket for the wife but am still yet to pull the trigger....but can't think of anything better for £150...

Soldato
If you have a OTG cable you could put the ROM on a USB stick and flash it from it.

maj

maj

Soldato
Got it sorted thanks @BaldJedi . Booting into TWRP meant my PC picked it up as a removable device so I could then copy right zip file to it.

LineageOS now installed but I keep getting Google services related errors. Google playstore won't open unless I sign into my Google account which I've already done. I did initially install non-32 gapps files but then went into twrp and flashed the 64 bit ones. Doesn't seem to have solved the problem though. Might do whole process again now I know what I'm doing.

Back
Top Bottom