"Officer, what colour are your socks?"

Associate
When I moved to Ireland I lived in the middle of nowhere and after hours drinking in rural pubs was quite normal. Random, infrequent Garda checks on said pubs were also fairly normal. In one of the pubs the standard practice to get into the place after hours was to knock at the back gate. The publican would check the gap at the bottom of the gate to see what footwear/socks the person was wearing and then let them in.. or not if they were wearing regulation Gardai shoes and socks.

One time a Garda turned up in non-standard footwear and socks, the publican opened the gate and proceeded to get done for serving after hours. In court he successfully argued that he was effectively entrapped by a Garda who was out of uniform and the whole process was illegal.

Associate
When I moved to Ireland I lived in the middle of nowhere and after hours drinking in rural pubs was quite normal. Random, infrequent Garda checks on said pubs were also fairly normal. In one of the pubs the standard practice to get into the place after hours was to knock at the back gate. The publican would check the gap at the bottom of the gate to see what footwear/socks the person was wearing and then let them in.. or not if they were wearing regulation Gardai shoes and socks.

One time a Garda turned up in non-standard footwear and socks, the publican opened the gate and proceeded to get done for serving after hours. In court he successfully argued that he was effectively entrapped by a Garda who was out of uniform and the whole process was illegal.

The dress code must have been very specific?

Man of Honour
It's a strange old world. I know we're veering away from the original subject and the real reason I resurrected the thread was the hilarious mention of the officer 'hosing in his trousers' (what a brilliant phrase!),

I just remembered a story that was posted on here of Police Officers having to work long hours during the Commonwealth Games and a couple of them pee'd themselves. Not sure if true though.

Found it -

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...of-a-toilet-with-inevitable-outcome.18619007/

Associate
I just remembered a story that was posted on here of Police Officers having to work long hours during the Commonwealth Games and a couple of them pee'd themselves. Not sure if true though.

Found it -

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...of-a-toilet-with-inevitable-outcome.18619007/

I would have said that was complete nonsense and made up, but there's actually a link to various newspapers reporting the story. Unless they're fakes, seems it's true. Incredible.

Associate
I was told of by one of my Junior Sisters at work some years ago for wearing white socks at work as it was not in line with the uniform policy. At the same time she was wearing non-uniform trousers at work :D Oh the irony..

Soldato
We had a uniform missive from management "Black socks only".

I wear boots and you cant see my socks unless I pull them up over the tops of my boots. So I now only own lurid, loud and patterned socks, which I never wear as a pair.

Also ridiculous coloured pants, hot pink tonight! :D

Associate
We had a uniform missive from management "Black socks only".

I wear boots and you cant see my socks unless I pull them up over the tops of my boots. So I now only own lurid, loud and patterned socks, which I never wear as a pair.

Also ridiculous coloured pants, hot pink tonight! :D

Are you police staff, though?

Soldato
No one has ever checked the colour of my socks yet.

I got a comment about the plain black baseplate I had on under my plain black uniform top today though :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom