• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Onwards from a gtx 980

Associate
Hi ,ive been away from the scene for a bit ,and im looking for some advice on a new gpu purchase .
Going by a bit of research on the forums ,presently my cpu [2500k] is ok for the moment for gaming

and by reading a bit more ,seemingly the better option is to upgrade the gpu for now ,i do play on asus rog27 1440 screen .

Could i have some thoughts please

Caporegime
You're pretty much not getting an upgrade for that money :(

Unless you go 2nd hand 1070/1080.

But I don't think 1070 is that much of an upgrade, certainly not for £650! It should priced about £350 by now.

Soldato
I’d hang onto your 980 and drop a few in game settings if you need to. You can always overclock it a bit too.

Before I upgraded to a 1080 my 980 coped really well with 3440x1440. I’d have thought the extra headroom you’ll have at the lower res will be more than enough, especially if you overclock and sacrifice some of the less beneficial settings.

Soldato
Thank you guys ,i think ill do excatly that and hang onto it .

Ill go do a little research into overclocking the card then

thanks again

If you have a bit of spare money why not see if you can pick up a used 3770k and sell your 2500k. You'd get a bit of money back and it would be quite a nice upgrade at this point, without spending a fortune.

Associate
OP
If you have a bit of spare money why not see if you can pick up a used 3770k and sell your 2500k. You'd get a bit of money back and it would be quite a nice upgrade at this point, without spending a fortune.
could i use the same motherboard ?
would there be much point just for gaming [all i really use my pc for]

Last edited:
Associate
could i use the same motherboard ?
would there be much point just for gaming [all i really use my pc for]
Yes. Hyperthreading helps a lot in games on quad core CPUs. Depending on the motherboard you might need to update the bios.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Picking up a 2nd hand 3770K is a solid plan. Will give your platform a nice little boost for not much money while you hang on for GPU prices to drop.

Man of Honour
But I don't think 1070 is that much of an upgrade, certainly not for £650! It should priced about £350 by now.

1070 is a reasonable upgrade performance wise - but not for the kind of prices they are currently extremely poor value for money for the performance increase over the 980 unfortunately doesn't look like that is changing any time soon.

Caporegime
1070 is a reasonable upgrade performance wise - but not for the kind of prices they are currently extremely poor value for money for the performance increase over the 980 unfortunately doesn't look like that is changing any time soon.

Yeah it's a worthy upgrade, for £300ish but not at £650 it's insane.

Associate
Maybe second hand 980ti.? Yo can still get decent ones for around 300. Definitely better than paying 600 for brand new 1070.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
In a similar boat, but with a 970 and the 2500k at 1440p. With how stupid prices seem to be at the moment I've put off the idea of just upgrading a GPU and will look to replace the whole system in the coming months instead, hopefully by that point some of the mining craze will have died off again and prices can creep back down.

I'm fearful that, as someone in another thread mentioned, these high costs for GPUs are just going to be normalised much like the cost of mobile phones these days...

Back
Top Bottom