Retro console and games thread

Soldato
Tweaked my Retro shelf a little bit, removing the printer paper draws which was only there to raise the TV up a bit with an old stand I had. This now means I have a place to slide an old home computer under, so here it is with my Atari ST in place, which fits like a glove!

38787662580_c408d2e77b_k.jpg

Also dropped my Amiga 600 (because it fitted) onto my Cub monitor for and ST v Amiga competition! Forgive the wall marks, those go soon but there were cabinets in front of the walls for years and they have got moved. Flooring and walls getting done in 2 weeks :)

40555261212_6d81b4c417_h.jpg

I have 16 plug sockets behind this shelving....and only 2 free sockets which are for the ST/Amiga. All plugged in, now to get the Scart splitter sorted so I can get the consoles all plugged in and ready to go with ease. It never stops in my house :D

Looking Good! :) where do you store your software for all these beauties?

Soldato
I bought one of those from that seller and complained it wasn't true RGB. Got a refund, binned the cable and purchased from Retro Gaming Cables.
I emailed them saying I don't think it's true RGB. they didn't even argue that it was or wasn't they just said sorry and explained how to refund/ return it :/

I did open it up and it seems to be wired up correctly so I'm really not sure lol

Not sure mind it looks a bit of a mess. I noticed it doesn't have the ground in pin 5?

5fnTOgu.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looking Good! :) where do you store your software for all these beauties?
I have a small bookshelf where I’ve stored the console games and I’ve got other stuff in cupboards. My focus has always been home computer hardware and only recently have I moved to software back filling and consoles.

Associate
I emailed them saying I don't think it's true RGB. they didn't even argue that it was or wasn't they just said sorry and explained how to refund/ return it :/

I did open it up and it seems to be wired up correctly so I'm really not sure lol

Not sure mind it looks a bit of a mess. I noticed it doesn't have the ground in pin 5?

5fnTOgu.jpg

That’s a weird one, when I got my “fake” cable it was obvious that it wasn’t wired up for RGB at all. Maybe it’s just some inconsistency in the design somewhere stopping it from working :confused:

Man of Honour
My Vic20 arrived and came with tape deck, welcome to Vic20 box, 16K ram pack and loads of original paper work! Some yellowing but can sort that, but really nice condition and boxes in great shape. Got a matching Vic and C64 disk drive on route too! Will post up some pictures when I am back home.

Soldato
That’s a weird one, when I got my “fake” cable it was obvious that it wasn’t wired up for RGB at all. Maybe it’s just some inconsistency in the design somewhere stopping it from working :confused:
Hmmm could be DURPED at the end that connects to the xbox? Or maybe I'm expecting too much but the ps2 and gamecube are definitely sharper :D

Soldato
According to reddit, Xbox does suffer from a pretty rubbish RGB picture as it is. So might just be that. Apparently a modded Xbox can change the flicker levels to make it sharper not sure how though. Mine came soft modded so will take a look

Man of Honour
Housey, whats the cub monitor name? Looks fantastic. What video ports does it have?

It has a single DIN type socket on the back, so limited in terms of connections as they were back in the day. I bought it for the BBC A/B, Atom and Electron but it can work with a number of different old home computers, though need to be conscious there is no sound so devices with sound external will need an audio feed, which I have with my amp.

Soldato
Think I've broke my GameCube RGB cable! Pulled it a bit too hard and the metal bit moved inside the plastic casing so had to open it up to put it back in it's correct position and noticed a stray yellow wire disconnected inside and can't seem to see where it was attached! Possibly repairable? Not sure I hope so as it was one from retrogamingcables and don't quite fancy buying another :(

SCART hama 100s switch arrived and works perfrctly. It has an RGB button on it and if i turn that off the PS2 goes black and white, but on the xbox connection it stays coloured but looks a bit worse? Maybe another sign my Xbox cable isn't true rgb? Either way I've ordered one from Rgc to see

Soldato
Tweaked my Retro shelf a little bit, removing the printer paper draws which was only there to raise the TV up a bit with an old stand I had. This now means I have a place to slide an old home computer under, so here it is with my Atari ST in place, which fits like a glove!

Also dropped my Amiga 600 (because it fitted) onto my Cub monitor for and ST v Amiga competition!

Looks a good setup though was disappointed to see the Atari ST take pride of place in the middle. What you need is an immaculate Amiga 1200 worthy of such a slot. Drop me a line if you ever want to add one to your collection.

Man of Honour
Looks a good setup though was disappointed to see the Atari ST take pride of place in the middle. What you need is an immaculate Amiga 1200 worthy of such a slot. Drop me a line if you ever want to add one to your collection.
That would mean I had 2 :)

Is it boxed with all bits?

Associate
Between an Atari ST and an Amiga 1200 I know which I’d pick!

Think I've broke my GameCube RGB cable! Pulled it a bit too hard and the metal bit moved inside the plastic casing so had to open it up to put it back in it's correct position and noticed a stray yellow wire disconnected inside and can't seem to see where it was attached! Possibly repairable? Not sure I hope so as it was one from retrogamingcables and don't quite fancy buying another :(

SCART hama 100s switch arrived and works perfrctly. It has an RGB button on it and if i turn that off the PS2 goes black and white, but on the xbox connection it stays coloured but looks a bit worse? Maybe another sign my Xbox cable isn't true rgb? Either way I've ordered one from Rgc to see

Yeah you’ll only know about the Xbox cable once the new one arrives. All sorts of weird wiring out there. Presumably since you are asking about it the GameCube cable no longer works? Are there any empty pins that look like they have solder on?

Soldato
Between an Atari ST and an Amiga 1200 I know which I’d pick!

Yeah you’ll only know about the Xbox cable once the new one arrives. All sorts of weird wiring out there. Presumably since you are asking about it the GameCube cable no longer works? Are there any empty pins that look like they have solder on?

Good point, my lighting in the room isn't the best I'll have a proper look tonight and see if I can spot any thing! I tried it after noticing and it comes on screen in black and white, stretched diagonally and then moves off to the left lol. Odd

VTR

VTR

Soldato
So what's the best TV / Monitor to go for? Going to move my bedrooms around and turn the bigger one in to a dedicated games room. SNES, Megadrive, Dreamcast, Saturn, N64, PS1, PS2, PS3, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Xbox, Xbox 360. What's the best way to get these all connected up and to what monitor / TV? I've got a 1080p projector with HDMI input but don't think this will be much good?

Back
Top Bottom