New house. Need advice on cabling around the house

Associate
Hi,

I'm hoping to lay CAT 6 cables to each room in the house. Need some advice on what kit (switch?) do I need to hook it all together.

In my simple head, all CAT6 connect to a switch and the switch connect to the router? Wont there be a bottleneck from the switch to the router?

Associate
Wire all plates to somewhere like a loft or under stairs cupboard where you have a patch panel. Put a big gigabit switch there and connect all the ports on the patch panel.
Put extra ports on walls where you have lots of devices. You might want to put an extra small gigabit switch by your TV where you have more devices, but connect the high bandwidth ones directly to the big switch via the wall sockets.

Soldato
Wall socket -> cables -> patch panel -> switch <- router

All devices connect to the switch and all devices access the internet via the router (via the switch), there is no bottleneck so long as your switch is as fast or faster than your internet connection, so just pick a gigabit switch within your budget as I imagine you don't have a faster-than-gigabit internet connection.

Don
Decide on a number of wall ports (typically, you'd run them in pairs) 2 for each socket. Since a single power module backbox can hold 2x ethernet modules.

Patch panels come in these sizes..

Back
Top Bottom