3D-printed homes?

Caporegime
Not sure a house where about 1/3rd of the space is a porch is a good idea in the uk.

Also definitly wouldn't live in one, its rather crap ridged cement its going to be a stained horrible mess like all the government buildings from the 60's/70's in no time

Caporegime
Not on it's own. But most importantly it'd help the daft opinion that most homeowners have that in it's a good thing when their house increases in price. If your council tax went up because of it, it'd soon change that. It's more of a small preventative measure anyway, plenty of countries do it and it works/helps. And it's a darn sight better than our ludicrous council tax banding which was done by paper shuffling morons in the seventies who half the time didn't even bother getting out of the car to count the bedrooms in a property :rolleyes:

I' boy sure it would be a good policy to force potentially massive tax hikes on people purely because thier house/area improved in desirability .

Although it would be loved by the gentrification types as it would very rapidly price out and force locals to sell thier family homes in areas being invested in

Caporegime
So I don't think this will help a jot. What we need to do is make landlord'ing harder and less attractive as an investment, make owning second/third/fourth homes unattractive through heavy tax burdens, pass laws that protect private tenants better, scrap our outdated council tax and make it a percentage of the property's value.. gosh there's so much stuff I can think of off the top of my head it's a wonder our MPs can't manage to :rolleyes:

So in this world how would people ever be able to rent?

As a lot of people like the flexibility

Associate
They are single story so how many people would want to live in a tiny thing like this especially if you are going to be squeezing them together tightly to use as little space as possible.

Plenty, personally I would like the community aspect.

My point about the infrastructure is that you have to pay to get things like internet, water, electricity into new developments. If no one is making any money from these then where is the incentive. Roads? Parking? Stick enough super cheap housing together and you just risk ending up with a complete **** hole with the dregs of society in it as well.

Whilst I appreciate the context of the article is housing for LEDC's, obviously some profit will need to be made. The other alternative is that a collective is organised and infrastructure is paid for by the group.

I think this sort of thing is a great idea for certain areas of the world but not for the UK necessarily.

I think something more akin to the Huf-Haus is what we should be aiming for here. Build the house in easy to assemble kits but ultimately still proper houses.

I agree with ideas such as the Huf-Haus, however the cost needs to come down considerably for such ideas to be viable for first time buyers and those on lower salaries.

For me, it's just nice to see new ideas on tackling the housing crisis.

Soldato
Not sure a house where about 1/3rd of the space is a porch is a good idea in the uk.

Also definitly wouldn't live in one, its rather crap ridged cement its going to be a stained horrible mess like all the government buildings from the 60's/70's in no time

One could skim it. Problem solved.

Soldato
I' boy sure it would be a good policy to force potentially massive tax hikes on people purely because thier house/area improved in desirability .
Not massive, no. As I said it's not a magic bullet solution to anything but helps to stop the general stupid opinion that "oh my house is worth £50k more this year, isn't that brilliant" attitude that most people have. Because at the end of the day rising house prices are no good for anyone apart from speculators, property investors and landlords. And by the way, cry me a river about a small (hypothetical..) tax hike for homoeowners. Most of them conveniently forget that 99% of rent goes up every year without fail. Because you know, we like the "flexibility" :rolleyes:

So in this world how would people ever be able to rent?
Same way as any other country like Germany where you rent from small businesses and professional companies. I don't know. Not Bill and Sandra who decided that their £50k got them a better return by buying-to-let a small 1 bedroom flat that should be a home for a FTB :confused:

As a lot of people like the flexibility
Let me guess, you don't rent? I don't know a single person who rents who actually wants to. Not have I ever come across anyone in my life that actively chooses to rent. Perhaps back in the way when the costs were the same, some people may have chosen to rent -- but nowadays it's more expensive than a mortgage, you could get kicked out with two months notice. It's no way to live long term.

Caporegime
Not massive, no. As I said it's not a magic bullet solution to anything but helps to stop the general stupid opinion that "oh my house is worth £50k more this year, isn't that brilliant" attitude that most people have. Because at the end of the day rising house prices are no good for anyone apart from speculators, property investors and landlords. And by the way, cry me a river about a small (hypothetical..) tax hike for homoeowners. Most of them conveniently forget that 99% of rent goes up every year without fail. Because you know, we like the "flexibility" :rolleyes:

So how does it change anything?

Other than to "Oh crap my house is worth 50k more now, we can't Afford the tax increase and will have to sell up"

How does it solve anything? People aren't
Activly increasing the value of thier house so punishing them for it rising does nothing.

Same way as any other country like Germany where you rent from small businesses and professional companies. I don't know. Not Bill and Sandra who decided that their £50k got them a better return by buying-to-let a small 1 bedroom flat that should be a home for a FTB

So bill and Sandra would simply run it as a small business....

Let me guess, you don't rent? I don't know a single person who rents who actually wants to. Not have I ever come across anyone in my life that actively chooses to rent. Perhaps back in the way when the costs were the same, some people may have chosen to rent -- but nowadays it's more expensive than a mortgage, you could get kicked out with two months notice. It's no way to live long term.

Let me guess you've never been to london, or any major city where city center living is completley impossible without the rental market.

Soldato
So how does it change anything?

Other than to "Oh crap my house is worth 50k more now, we can't Afford the tax increase and will have to sell up"
Obviously it would never increase so much as to be downright unaffordable. But you're missing the point, this is only one thing that would help change this country's obsession with rising house prices. And anyway, for example -- friend's of mine have had their rent put up by nearly 5% every year for the past 4 years. Why is it ok for a landlord to benefit from an area becoming more desirable? Why is it ok that tenants could get forced out of their home because an area has become desirable? Or is it one rule for tenants and one rule for homeowners? Because that's what is happening every day right now with tenants. At the end of the day if an area becomes more desirable and the homeowner "makes" £50k on paper, where is the harm in their council tax going up? They've still been gifted £50k on paper, right? Out of no doing of their own. Do they deserve that £50k that's been magic'd out of thin air? Or should some of it go back to the council/government for supporting the new desirable and popular area? I know what I think.

Let me guess you've never been to london, or any major city where city center living is completley impossible without the rental market.
You didn't answer my question ;) The "flexibility" argument is a load of nonsense spouted by homeowners that don't understand what it is like in this country to rent and live your life on two months notice.

I live in London, by the way. I will accept that not everybody would expect to be able to buy a "super prime" property in somewhere extremely central (e.g. Mayfair, Covent Garden etc.) but I live in zone 3 and flats are unaffordable for a "regular" professional couple that both earn more than the London average wage. Something is wrong.

Soldato
Who says it's a "solution to the housing crisis" - the 3D printer company looking to sell more printers?

The crisis is due to the government not building enough affordable homes and/or council houses. We already have ways to build houses quick and cheaply e.g prefabs.

Caporegime
Who says it's a "solution to the housing crisis" - the 3D printer company looking to sell more printers?

The crisis is due to the government not building enough affordable homes and/or council houses. We already have ways to build houses quick and cheaply e.g prefabs.

Start business up then, make some dollar

Caporegime
I'd live in one.

And as someone who doesn't own a house and who doesn't plan on needing to leave anything for kids would be awesome. Could be mortgage and rent free.

And I suspect it would be fairly easy to move house. As in take your house with you.

Caporegime
would absolutely live in one, but not a solution for the uk. But then again if I could, i would buy a cheap bit of land and put a tiny house on it, something along these lines.

Instead in a little over a month will hopefully be completing on a stupidly expensive flat.

there's already so many cheap house manufacturing techniques adding another doesn't solve the issue. Of planning regs, both what can be built and where. Which means any land that gets planning regs for residential goes up in value many times over and then you are pretty much forced to build an expensive house on it.

if I was still in my early 20s I would live in a motorhome on the side off the road and save the what would be rent money. once you start looking into it, there's surprising amount of people allready doing this, which you just generally don't notice.

would you though?

that small printed "house" looks more like a printed room. it's tiny. for most people who have social lives, partners and kids it doesn't work.

also how does a motorhome work when you want to play some CS:GO online? you can't. hot water? cook a proper meal? sky tv? space for a 60" tv? can you have a bath? can you invite your mates round for a party?

only a hermit would live in one.

Back
Top Bottom