Dell S2716DG - Dells first G-sync

Soldato
So no good for TVs not being used with a computer then - makes sense, since it cannot change any of the software in the TV.

I wonder, however, if one could change the software in the TV themselves based on calibration results. EG, it may say it needs a little more red, or blue, and the user changes it accordingly and then re runs the calibration process.

Hi,

So yeah..For computers I use the calibrator with x-rite software installed. This creates a profile you apply - so no other settings. You can go into the monitor settings if you like and do some changes there..but I see no need for that, the profile is enough to compensate.

For the TV I used some opensource software called HCFR and a pattern disk. You then tweak IRE points for greyscale and the CMS in real time as it is doing continuous monitoring.

Putting up a greyscale picture with before and after profiles on the TV I could see night and day the difference, in fact everyone I've asked (dad, g/f, mate etC) agreed. Before there was bluish and greenish tints through out the scale, with the calibration it just looks grey.

Before I did it, I would have said it looked fine, but after it blows you away with how obvious the colouring was.

Soldato
Hi,

So yeah..For computers I use the calibrator with x-rite software installed. This creates a profile you apply - so no other settings. You can go into the monitor settings if you like and do some changes there..but I see no need for that, the profile is enough to compensate.

For the TV I used some opensource software called HCFR and a pattern disk. You then tweak IRE points for greyscale and the CMS in real time as it is doing continuous monitoring.

Putting up a greyscale picture with before and after profiles on the TV I could see night and day the difference, in fact everyone I've asked (dad, g/f, mate etC) agreed. Before there was bluish and greenish tints through out the scale, with the calibration it just looks grey.

Before I did it, I would have said it looked fine, but after it blows you away with how obvious the colouring was.

Interesting - so what equipment & software would I need to get the job done?

Soldato
well I can only recommend an x-rite display pro (180 at the mo on the big retailers). then download hcfr and a pattern disk such as avs hd 709.

this is the tutorial I followed a while back for m TV. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457

A little dated, but well light, being a natural thing doesn't change much thankfully.

If your monitor can be calibrated as well manually you could probably follow the same steps, but id just use the xrite s/w for a computer tbh.

My only tip (although I'm less than amateur..) : The most important thing is your greyscale. Don't bother with the CMS until you have mastered an understanding of greyscale. Basic stuff such as white level can be done via flashing patterns disks.

Reading all about it was really rewarding and then seeing the benefit at the end was really nice.

Soldato
Man, OcUK are really cashing in on this aren't they?

Dec 2015 I bought a Dell S2716DG at £429 from OcUK. Now it's £690.

** No Competitor pricing **

Duly noted ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
we're getting ripped off that is for sure. I've started to question my needs and where my PC fits into all this. Financially I can afford, but I don't think I should have to. I'm learning to "make do" as my mother use to say.

Associate
Gsync has risen in price across the board.

I sold my AOC2460PG for £230 2 years old. I only paid £250 for it brand new in Nov 2015.

As for the Dell, paid slightly over £500 for it in December and i'm extremely happy with it. Calibrating it with a Spyderpro quite literally transformed it.

Permabanned
just had a look on oficial site and is 190 cheaper including vat and delivery.Well,now is 599,so 99 pounds cheaper.I think i should have bought it a few years ago,i remember at one point it was 379.

Soldato
Got a flashing blue/red/green screen on mine and all my settings are gone, happens every time I power off. Had it less than a year now so sorting out a replacement, 2nd Dell monitor in a row now that I've had a problem with so I must be really unlucky!

Soldato
The price for this monitor is quite ridiculous - An awesome 1440p G-Sync monitor, but I just wouldn't be able to justify the purchase at them prices.

Keep an eye out on the B-Grade products on OcUK - I got insanely lucky when I bought mine from the B-Grade at £274.99 about 2 years ago.

Associate
but if you log in to the manufacturers site and ask them to do a deal they do drop from the listed retail just have to ask . The only thing they can never tell you what revision you would be getting.

and tbh like the gpu cards the resellers are cashing in tbh. if you ring them they quote "market forces" that just bull................. tbh . We pc enthusiasts,gamers etc are being stiched up now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Have to say that OcUK's pricing of this monitor is pretty crazy, seemingly jumping from £589 to £689 every week or so.

Took a punt on one of these myself, for a considerably cheaper price than OcUK's lowest offering, as I knew I could easily return it to a store 10 minutes away in the centre of town (you can probably guess which one).

Lovely looking monitor, but decided to return it for a refund as it had severe light bleed / glow on one side of the screen.

The monitor I purchased / returned was rev A08.

Back
Top Bottom