******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate
And the above video? How about transferring the time, money and effort of trying to make some sort of lame 'TV' show into finishing the bloody game!?

as people invested in the game seem quite, invested in it! Get my drift

I think you've kind of got the answer right here, the people who invested are super interested to see what all is going on.

I get why it comes off as being like a cult, from the outside it looks like people throwing millions into a vaguely spaceship shaped hole on the promise of a magical afterlife. But from the inside RSI has gone far above and beyond to keep people informed on just about everything that is going into making the game. So everyone inside has a much clearer view and for the most part like what they see.

Caporegime
I think you've kind of got the answer right here, the people who invested are super interested to see what all is going on.

I get why it comes off as being like a cult, from the outside it looks like people throwing millions into a vaguely spaceship shaped hole on the promise of a magical afterlife. But from the inside RSI has gone far above and beyond to keep people informed on just about everything that is going into making the game. So everyone inside has a much clearer view and for the most part like what they see.

That's a good way to put it but i think nerd culture is probably another reason why it can look like a cult from the outside, that weird sweeping wave / salute? thing they and some of the fans do is pretty cringe worthy :D

While i don't and would never do that i must confess to returning in game /Salute actions, i do in that way immerse myself in the Star Citizen culture with fellow Star Citizens, yeah.....

For those who don't know the game has in game actions, some of them are pretty funny, hit return to bring up the chat box and type in /salute and return again, your avatar will salute, Try /dance 1, 2 and 3, /chicken, /rude 1, 2 and 3 ..... there are a lot, there is a list somewhere.

Caporegime
There are different opinions about this game but i think anyone would struggle to deny the quality of their work.

Reclaimer.

Roughly 150m Long, 150m Wide, 60m Tall and check this out.

https://i.imgur.com/hEZ2pbW.mp4

Le'me at it....

hEZ2pbW.mp4

Soldato
Oh yes, the Reclaimer! It doesn't exist in the game nor does the activity for which it was designed - salvaging. But hey, for the one time, insignificant fee of $350, this baby can be yours for life. :rolleyes:

You're a good guy, humbug but...

You're a good guy Jarus but you're wasting your time. Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically This is Spinal Tap except people think the band is real. The flight model is never going to get resolved for the same reason Gilligan can never get off the Island. If it gets resolved the show is over. Our debating this on the forums has just become part of the show. It gives legitimacy to all this. We are arguing about hypotheticals for a game that doesn't exist. If we take Chris's demo at face value the combat experience will be little more than a mini game for an interactive movie anyway, of the hour and a half of gameplay we saw combat was what, a minute and a half of the experience give or take? It does make you wonder about how people devote themselves to it. It's like devoting your life to bejeweled or something.

If this **** was real all this would have been laid out day one. Instead we get "Wing Commander with physics," Switching between PVP and PVE without affecting other players, Control schemes for different types of game active at the same time, the loudest Rock and Roll band in history! etc. All these impossible completely mutually exclusive concepts that we only accept due to the human propensity towards confirmation bias. I've been playing Hellion quite a bit lately. It's not even a popular game really but I like it. Once you spend some time outside the bubble and interact with a normal community you look back and wonder wtf is going on here. It's like battered wife syndrome. People over there give feedback and bitch like any community but everyone knows what game they're making. Feedback is focused and makes sense. Here everyone just believes it's going to be whatever they want it to be. The greatest space sim ever made and exactly what we all want. Even though we're all different. I'd seriously recommend getting out of the bubble for a while. When you're outside the bubble and you think about how "the team" worked for years on revolutionary technology that would allow the game to update to a new version without having to download the whole game or about how they have been working for years on groundbreaking unheard of technology like the ability to play as either a man or a woman, in the same game! When you start buying into all this you need to step back and think about things. Not you personally but every one of us. Of the 400 employees they have what, 3 people that work on net code? For a supposed MMO? It's just a show. Speaking of 3 people the 4 or so dudes making Hellion sailed past Star Citizen long ago in terms of features and it's only been in development for less than 2 years.

If a game comes of this it will be because so much money has been thrown at the show that it just ends up getting made. The Monkees had a hit song and they weren't a real band. The song was made for the show but it wasn't the point. The point of the Monkees was the show about the band not the band actually touring. The problem is what kind of game will it end up being? I don't think anyone gives a **** really. That's why everything can be everything to everyone and seasoned game developers act like it's ok. Because it ultimately doesn't matter in the end. If the game ever got made the shows over. They'd have picked a control scheme long ago for example if they honestly wanted to make a real game. Just keep the fantasy going. Maybe the Castaways will get off the Island in next weeks episode. Just stay tuned.

Even The Faithful are losing hope, 2016 was the peak, progress stagnated completely in 2017, the "vertical slice" is a joke that contains 5 mins of actual game play, the performance is worse than ever and the player count on all game modes is the lowest it has ever been. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when SC turns into gaming's Theranos.

Soldato
OP
Must be the fortnightly "adults are spending money how they want" time again.

Us adults, we're almost like those guys who buy collectors editions, spend $100 a pop on CS:GO vanity items, buy WoW accounts, spend money in tesco at the weekend buying food, buy petrol for a station, own a car etc etc.

It's like we've got fiscal responsibility or something and have EXCESS. What fools are are generating income we then decide to spend on a game we'd like to see made and what fools we are actually being involved in testing it. What fools we are having fun in this game which (according to some) it's impossible to have fun in. Oh it's "not a game", but somehow we still find ourselves laughing and joking and enjoying the experience.

We really are fools folks, pack up, he's won the argument, time to close the thread down again because we aren't allowed to make our own independent decisions because Zethor or some random passerby doesn't approve again this month. :D

Soldato
@Zethor I appreciate that but we are never going to agree, the game is in development so its constantly changing and will continue to do so until they find the right balance, even then its impossible to please everyone.

There is a (small, I believe) chance I am wrong and I have nothing against players/backers such as yourself or Raumarik, I have issues with the company and the business model. :p

Back
Top Bottom