Simple socket question...

Soldato
For the electricians among us...

I have an understairs cupboard with a double socket which I would like to effectively extend to the drylined/plasterboard wall on the outside.

(Initially I was going to fit a 1 gang socket but a 2 gang with USB ports was a few pound more and a bit of a no brainer.)

I had planned to wire a single socket to a plug, a bit of a daisy-chain if you will.

However with a 2 gang socket, as with others in my house, they all have 2 sets of 3-core running to them. What would be the best approach here? Is it necessary to have two sets of 3-core to each socket?

There won't be any high draw items plugged in, just an air freshener and the occasional phone charger.

Thanks,

BennyC

Associate
The 2 sets of cable to each socket are because the sockets are wired in a ring. Probably the easiest way to do it would be to spur a brand new socket off the existing one with a single length of 2.5mm twin and earth (3 core) cable. Put simply, just connect a new socket to the back of old one with a single length of cable.

Dave

Soldato
OP
The 2 sets of cable to each socket are because the sockets are wired in a ring. Probably the easiest way to do it would be to spur a brand new socket off the existing one with a single length of 2.5mm twin and earth (3 core) cable. Put simply, just connect a new socket to the back of old one with a single length of cable.

Dave

As I thought, thank you :)

Associate
If I’ve understood this correctly, you want to put another double socket directly on the other side of the existing one?

Take one of the two cables and wire it to your new socket, install brand new cable connecting the new to the existing. Each socket now has two cables going to it and are part of the ring main. Much better method than a spur albeit the latter will work and is compliant.

Ensure you use the correct size cable, presumably you’re on a 32A ring main wired in 2.5sqmm.

Soldato
OP
@Mike1983 thanks Mike, I see what you're saying.

Eventually I'll do this but for a short period will just function the new socket with a plug.

Any suggestion on the best method for joining some 3 core to one of the existing cables, if this is suitable? As this won't reach the new socket having been cut for the existing socket (of course).

Associate
I did pretty much the same to add an under stairs cupboard socket to charge a dyson.
You need a new buy a new bit of cable obviously. Make sure its thick enough - i.e. not thinner than existing wires.
If you have to extend a wire you can use a terminal connector tucked inside the back box for the plug. It shouldn't be external unless its in its own electrical box.
Plug something to the sockets to make sure they're definitely off when you cut the power before you start.

Soldato
If you would need to extend the existing wiring with a joint to include the new socket in the ring you'd be better off with a spur.

If you don't you're just making life difficult for no real benefit. Your spur socket will have exactly the same rating as it would have if included in the ring.

Soldato
@Mike1983 thanks Mike, I see what you're saying.

Eventually I'll do this but for a short period will just function the new socket with a plug.

Any suggestion on the best method for joining some 3 core to one of the existing cables, if this is suitable? As this won't reach the new socket having been cut for the existing socket (of course).

Would this be if you wanted to follow Mike's suggestion and loop in the new socket to the ring main?

Soldato
OP
Would this be if you wanted to follow Mike's suggestion and loop in the new socket to the ring main?

Yep, I found a length of 3 core the spark left me when I moved in which will reach.

One of the existing feeds to the socket will need to to go to the new socket instead and then another length back again (new socket to old socket) to complete the ring. I was curious how best to extend/join this feed as it is already cut/trimmed to the existing socket.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Wago 221 or 222 will be perfect. Take three wagos, and one of the T&E going into existing socket, run the line into one of the connectors on one wago connector, the neutral into another wago connector and then the cpc/earth into the third wago block. Take another length of T&E, plugging the line into the line block, neutral into neutral and cpc into the cpc block. Run that cable to the new double socket, then another run back from the new socket to the old socket (line/line, neutral/neutral, cpc/cpc).

If you get the 221s (my preferred), the connexbox which is needed to satisfy regs doesn't support the 221s without an adaptor. The 222s are perfect though and were made in tandem with the connexbox.

Soldato
The only other thing to consider is you may need to swap out the socket cage so that you have a deeper one to house the 3 wago blocks.

@Kol, are the 773's not better suited due to space in the socket cage?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom