Help with Government funded course and refusal to give certificate.

Caporegime
OP ref: the minimum wage part - is it an 'apprenticeship' - that could well explain that part.

^ if she does that, her future employee could easily ring up the company and ask if she completed the course, she would then come across as a liar, thats pretty hard to come back from.

Firstly I doubt it is something they'd check - why would they, she doesn't even need to mention that there was a certificate nor give details of the company that ran it... even with the certificate she's unlikely to be in a situation where it needs to be presented. She attended some work related course via the job centre, the job centre could confirm that if needed.

Secondly even if going to the company I don't see why the company would want to open themselves up to liability by denying she'd attended a course... We don't know what the agreement was re: the course in the first place, perhaps part of it is specified to include some form of training contract to work for too and without that they don't award a certificate. It is a bit of paper awarded by a company for a course they've designed and some criteria they've come up with... if they don't want to award it and they can cite some rules they've got for not doing so then is there really anything she can do about it?

On the other hand they can't deny she's attended the course and she's free to put it down on her CV anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
What?

Is GD just getting really stupid now?
What what? If you want me to clarify you might want to expand.

What is your problem with someone asking for advice?

The op asked for some advice and your reply was to go and ask someone else, and now you’re calling people stupid. In case you’re wondering the irony isn’t lost on me.

Soldato
What what? If you want me to clarify you might want to expand.

What is your problem with someone asking for advice?

The op asked for some advice and your reply was to go and ask someone else, and now you’re calling people stupid. In case you’re wondering the irony isn’t lost on me.
I'll bite, before I go to bed.

OP asked for advice, I gave him advice. You then found the need to quote me and comment without even comprehending my advice, which I will explain.

Job Centre set up and funded the course, OP asked if there was any way to contact Job Centre regarding this... Advice given to actually contact the Job Centre, you know the ones who will ACTUALLY have the information and advice required? What information and advice is actually needed before making such contact?

It just astounds me that people cannot think or do such simple tasks that it requires a thread on GD...

Soldato
Firstly I doubt it is something they'd check - why would they, she doesn't even need to mention that there was a certificate nor give details of the company that ran it... even with the certificate she's unlikely to be in a situation where it needs to be presented. She attended some work related course via the job centre, the job centre could confirm that if needed.

Secondly even if going to the company I don't see why the company would want to open themselves up to liability by denying she'd attended a course... We don't know what the agreement was re: the course in the first place, perhaps part of it is specified to include some form of training contract to work for too and without that they don't award a certificate. It is a bit of paper awarded by a company for a course they've designed and some criteria they've come up with... if they don't want to award it and they can cite some rules they've got for not doing so then is there really anything she can do about it?

On the other hand they can't deny she's attended the course and she's free to put it down on her CV anyway.

Yeah,i agree, most likely they won't check it or what not. I just felt if she had put a few months of work into a certificate - to then not get it would be a bit harsh on her. You never know what they'll do, better to cover yourself.

Soldato
I'll bite, before I go to bed.

OP asked for advice, I gave him advice. You then found the need to quote me and comment without even comprehending my advice, which I will explain.

Job Centre set up and funded the course, OP asked if there was any way to contact Job Centre regarding this... Advice given to actually contact the Job Centre, you know the ones who will ACTUALLY have the information and advice required? What information and advice is actually needed before making such contact?

It just astounds me that people cannot think or do such simple tasks that it requires a thread on GD...

The op was asking who would be the best person to contact at the job centre and your amazingly sarcastic, pointless reply was “contact the job centre” :rolleyes:. And you’re the one questioning the intelligence of others?

Soldato
The easiest route would be to complete all communication with the training provider via email. get it in writing that she's completed the course. put course on CV and apply for jobs.

IF they ask for proof, she can provide the email from them confirming completion but refusing to send the cert out.

I've got several NVQ's and other qualifications, I've never been asked to prove that I've done them by showing a certificate. They may ask about it in the interview process and question you to determine the knowledge you have.

Who was the training provider and what was the course? May help us look into it further and provide further help.

I would however be leaving negative reviews, sending complaints to the training provider, job centre and MP/HMRC just to make sure people are aware of the issues

Soldato
OP
Hey guys thanks for the replies, so I spoke to my sister and she did not get the course through the job centre as i thought, rather it was funded by a job centre employment scheme. She applied for a full time childminder job with this company at £7.83/hr, she had an interview and had all of her checks DBS, OFSTED checks etc. This company then provided the course which is needed to become a childminder ( Funded by jobcentre) She did this course for 3 months and has completed it. However 2 days before the end of the course she was told that the company has "redfined what an hour is and that 3 childcare hours = 1 payroll hour" Now that is fine if they provide her with 3 children from the getgo at the exact same times , however if they only provide her with 1 child it would mean she would only get paid 1 hour for every 3 hours worked.

I don't know if this is due to the company having poor planning and they haven't really thought the costs through or if it was a bait and switch knowing that my sister and others have spent 3 months doing this course unpaid and cant afford to leave for somewhere else and have to do another 3 months unpaid redoing the course.

I hope this makes sense im trying to keep it as vague as possible as obviously this is an ongoing matter.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
95294.png

Soldato
OP
Hello, yes that's right if she looks after 3 children for a hour that is 3 care hours and she gets minimum wage. However there is no guarantee that she will have 3 kids. She could only get 1 kid and then that only counts as 1 childcare hour which she would need to work 3 to get paid 1 payroll hour. She is supposed to be fully employed , paid via PAYE, pension , holidays etc.

It seems that the company is saying hey you might only get £2.61 per hour if you have 1 kid but you have the potential to have 6 kids and earn £15.33 which averages out at minimum wage.

Caporegime
Ok so if it all averages out at more than min wage then they'll have paid her more than min wage.

If for some reason they regularly give her just 1 or 2 kids to look after and it averages out at less than min wage then she can report them/get them to make up the difference.

The worry seems to be that she *might* get less than min wage... it seems she's going to get a wage that has some variance to it but that should average out to at least min wage.

If this is a job she wants to do (since she spent 3 months training for it) why not give it a go? What else does she have on offer given she's unemployed?

Back
Top Bottom