Laser Eye Surgery

Caporegime
I did it 2 years ago and no, no regrets.

No issues, no dry eye, no halos. Vision is two levels better than 20/20, can't remember what that's called but yeah.

Edit: I went through Optical express.

Soldato
Been about 4 years for me now and having a result of 20/16 afterwards. However, I'm starting to go ever so slightly long-sighted now according to my optician. Before my operation with LVC I was short-sighted. It's natural though for it not to remain perfect as your eyes still age, I never thought it was going to be permanent.
Some people I've spoken to seem to think it's permanent for some reason!?

Permabanned
Been about 4 years for me now and having a result of 20/16 afterwards. However, I'm starting to go ever so slightly long-sighted now according to my optician. Before my operation with LVC I was short-sighted. It's natural though for it not to remain perfect as your eyes still age, I never thought it was going to be permanent.
Some people I've spoken to seem to think it's permanent for some reason!?

The majority of people become long sited near the age of 40 with varying results.

There are currently tests to rejuvenate the eyes which can remove this also and has just had a human test on a 86 year old man who lost sight in his right eye - thinking about it it was from stem cell therapy.

Either way, your short sightedness won't come back for a long time if ever. This surgery however was not for long sight

smr

smr

Soldato
Do it! Best thing I've ever done and would recommend it to anyone.

I had mine done about 8 years ago and was around -8 in both eyes. I had LASEK and the pain after the surgery was awful, I literally couldn't open my eyes for about 2 days because they were that sensitive to light and I thought I'd gone blind! I suffered from dry eyes too for the first couple years after but I'd go through it all again for the results I've had as I'm still 20/20 in both eyes. I convinced the missus to have hers done and she was a similar prescription to me, she had LASIK and apart from the bloodshot eyes was absolutely fine with no pain.

What do you think helped the dry eye problem heal? The dry eye side affect is literally the only thing stopping me from having laser eye surgery.

How do those of you who've had the procedure find things like sitting at a computer screen, do your eyes get more uncomfortable than they did with glasses? I ask because I spend a lot of time on computers for work and leisure.

Last edited:
Soldato
What do you think helped the dry eye problem heal? The dry eye side affect is literally the only thing stopping me from having laser eye surgery.

How do those of you who've had the procedure find things like sitting at a computer screen, do your eyes get more uncomfortable than they did with glasses? I ask because I spend a lot of time on computers for work and leisure.

Drops! Lots of drops.. Someone recommended me some really good ones. More of a gel that seemed to last and actually stay in your eyes. The usual ones from the supermarket didn't really have any effect. I eventually found I needed less and less of them though. I spend most of my day staring at a screen and I had zero problems.

If dry eyes is your only worry, I'd say don't let it stop you having it done! The benefits for me far outweighed the negatives.

Soldato
OP - I'm in the same boat, the dry eyes thing has put me off in the past, can't wear contacts so no real option but to stick with specs.

You first though.. I'm happy to hold off :p

Soldato

Not remotely, if anything I'd say they're more comfortable. I work 8 hours per day on the computer, plus we often watch films later at night and I have no issues at all.

Soldato
I'm pretty short sighted, have put up with contact lenses since my college days. But I'm a bit squeemish about having any of these procedures done to my eyes :( plus all the horror stories you hear and the cost of having it done put me off.

Associate
I was actually thinking about this today...I'm around -3.00 in both eyes, so have to wear glasses all the time, but I'm just not sure that I'm comfortable putting something as precious as my eyes under the laser. Dry eye, night vision problems, halos around lights and regression. If you're a minus prescription and on the fence you're probably far better off with Orthokeratology, or something like Eyedream lenses.

Sgarrista
Commissario
The dry eye side affect is literally the only thing stopping me from having laser eye surgery.
OP - I'm in the same boat, the dry eyes thing has put me off in the past
plus all the horror stories you hear and the cost of having it done put me of
but I'm just not sure that I'm comfortable putting something as precious as my eyes under the laser. Dry eye, night vision problems, halos around lights and regression.

These all fall under the boat of "excuses". Don't get me wrong, I was using the same excuses myself for years.

So dry eyes: If you have flap surgery this is just part of the healing process as the nerves in the eyes regenerate. Will vary from person to person, if you have relex the dry-eye is massively reduced. You are also given all the eye drops you could ever need by LVC while they heal up.

Horror stories: Basically you are more likely to be hit by a bus on the way to the clinic than something actually going wrong with your procedure. LVC gave me 2 sets of stats when I had mine done, one for all laser correction as they are obligated to give, and a second set for their surgeries, which were considerably better than the national average.

Man of Honour
For the OP there's a larger thread on laser eye surgery here which might be useful if you've got the time to read through it.

For what it's worth I had laser eye surgery with London Vision Clinic around a year ago and recently had the final check up to confirm that my eyes were fine so I'll just need normal eye exams every couple of years. It's not cheap but it is a good service and I'm very happy with the results so I'd happily recommend them, that's not to say that other options aren't also good, I just don't have any experience of them.

-5 and -7, not sure i am eligible with that prescription. May think about it when i have some more money saved up over the bext few years though..

London Vision Clinic do treat patients with high prescriptions, they quote outcomes for patients up to -12 here although that may not be the limit in terms of what they can treat. It will depend on your eyes I'd imagine and that's something you'll only find out after a consultation.

Soldato
For the OP there's a larger thread on laser eye surgery here which might be useful if you've got the time to read through it.
London Vision Clinic do treat patients with high prescriptions, they quote outcomes for patients up to -12 here although that may not be the limit in terms of what they can treat. It will depend on your eyes I'd imagine and that's something you'll only find out after a consultation.

Thanks for that, i am well within the max limit then..

Soldato
-5 and -7, not sure i am eligible with that prescription. May think about it when i have some more money saved up over the bext few years though..

I was worse than that.. -7.75 in both eyes! Now I'm spot on in one and -0.25 in the other. The missus was slightly better in one eye, slightly worse in the other and she had good results too, although she now needs glasses for reading.

Soldato
I was worse than that.. -7.75 in both eyes! Now I'm spot on in one and -0.25 in the other. The missus was slightly better in one eye, slightly worse in the other and she had good results too, although she now needs glasses for reading.

What age were you when you had it? Have you noticed any worsening since?

Also i read laser eye surgery increases your chances of retinal detachment!!

Soldato
I think it was 2009 when I had mine done, I must have been around 25. I'm 34 now and haven't had any problems. I had my eyes tested a couple months ago and they are still the same. I debated doing it for ages, thinking of all the excuses I could to put myself off. In the end I just went for the consultation and booked it up right away before I got cold feet again. For me the (small) risk was definitely worth the reward and I'd have it done again in a heat beat.

Associate
Anyone had this done recently or the last few years?

If I went ahead the only place id be getting it done is the London Vision Clinic as people are sent here when other places have messed up!!

Probably the new relex smile procedure (Totally flapless procedure) much quicker healing time

https://www.londonvisionclinic.com/...-prk-lasik-and-relex-smile-laser-eye-surgery/

For those who have had it done, any regrets? Any ongoing problems? Dry eyes or halos at night etc

i had it done.lasereye surgery but not flapless. with mr.mearza jan 17.london.iam 55 femail.it derteriated fairly quickly and got worse with every eye test.and pressure reported diferant in each eye.large pupils,just enough tissue it was stated .reflection quite bad at night,still got expence of glasses..disappointed asgoing down quicker than expected.dry eyes,told at 1st it would get better as eyes have to settle.but never got better.they say will do enhancement at no cost but no good if they can not do it.told just enough to do it .so expensive to go down so quickly and when u cant get it redone .not every place has the latest equipment .like to do flapless.which would have been better for me i believe.turned down by focus in the samebuilding i got reccommended from focus clinic thinking i could havethelens put in .but mr.mearza did measurements and said he was happy to go ahead.so may be should not of done .ifthere is so much eye change at 55 ish

Associate
Hi guys

I’m looking to have LASIK iDesign from OE. However, I’m just a little nervous.

My vision with glasses is perfect. But, I’d like to be without them.

Is it worth me getting it done?

Are the results as good or better than glasses?

Are words still sharp?

Which bit of my prescription will let you know if I’ll benefit much?

Back
Top Bottom