Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

Associate
I have to admit I’m not overly enamoured with mine at all.

The IPS glow does my head in (it’s always there) and I guess I’ve just been spoilt with having dell precision’s in terms of build quality

It seems to be a perfectly adequate machine but I’m not convinced for £2.2k!

IMG_1152.jpg

Soldato
HI Curunen - Spoke with R&D,,,,, they are unable to replicate this issue, but provide some advise that might cure it - please try:

"Try remove smart manager and then reboot. Install smart update again after reboot. The reason to do this step is because the smart manager will detect O/S language. For the wrong UI language, it may need a reboot to clean up some incorrect temp files"

Let us know if that solves it, our team will support further if needed.

Thanks,

Gigabyte UK NB Team
Thanks Atom and apologies for the delay - just been really busy. Will test this in the evening and report back.

Associate
Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics
That screen output looks unusual, maybe the background colours highlight it or more likely your screen is faulty? I tried different coloured solid backgrounds and only on black did I get a hint of what you see and that only in one place in the middle. With a black background and moving the taskbar to the top I get some mild light bleeding up from the bottom edge but I hadn't noticed this before. This is not visible with other colours even if darkening the colour intensity. The colours are more vivid when viewing directly in front of the screen and all colours appear to dim at side angles (from about 35 degrees either side of centre).

Other observations..
I did find my curser randomly jumping around in text documents so I tried Settings, Mouse Properties - pointer options, in the control panel, hardware section and disable (unselect) enhanced pointer precision, I also unselected "hide pointer when typing" I still had the curser jump around effect in notepad So I have selected the ELAN TrackPad option - "Disable trackpad when an external USB pointing device is plugged in". This fixed the notepad problem.

Also other odd behaviour with firefox browser in outlook webmail, This was not so evident with MS Edge browser but I noticed the Edge browser and actually the laptop response in general was slower and checking task mgr incicated Edge was using more resources including a lot of network transfer at 100% (I was not downloading anything, that I was aware of anyway :-0 )
Seems there have been reports for several years about outlook webmail in a browser jumping back to the inbox whenever clicking inside an open email screen - and other unwanted actions with email delete.
I since installed MS Office 365 so am now using MS outlook client.

Associate
I have to admit I’m not overly enamoured with mine at all.

The IPS glow does my head in (it’s always there) and I guess I’ve just been spoilt with having dell precision’s in terms of build quality

It seems to be a perfectly adequate machine but I’m not convinced for £2.2k!

IMG_1152.jpg

Jesus, that backlight bleed is really, really terrible and unacceptable.

I would be sending that back and requesting a repair or a replacement if I were you. No way you should tolerate that. It looks awful!

Associate
It's like the uplights on the outside of a building for ambience. How are overclockers with dead pixels, backlight blead and returns in general?
Are returns free if you think the quality isn't up to scratch, regardless of manufacturer dead pixel policy etc?

E.g. if I bought this from overlockers, and it had one dead pixel I'd want to be able to return it free of charge.
Gigabyte's dead pixel policy is pretty poor - and Scan for example will only allow free returns if there are enough dead pixels to match the minimum required by Gigabyte - otherwise you need to pay for the return within 14 days as a change of mind - in other words they only do the legal minimum.

Which isn't good enough for a 1k laptop, let alone a 2k one.

How are overclockers with regard to that?

Associate
Do any of you guys know if there's still hope for Amazon US to get the Aero 15X in stock in February?
I've ordered 2 weeks ago and still waiting. \=

Associate
OP
@Atom80 Whats the deal with world stock of the Aero15x? Seems like its always out of stock or has been discontinued. I read something about there being an 8th gen refresh and new screen and possibly keyboard, can you shed any light on this and when to expect stock?

Associate
@Atom80 Whats the deal with world stock of the Aero15x? Seems like its always out of stock or has been discontinued. I read something about there being an 8th gen refresh and new screen and possibly keyboard, can you shed any light on this and when to expect stock?
Looks like there are 6 in stock now

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Looks like there are 6 in stock now

Hi Both,

Yes stock arrived today, and the reason for the stock outs everywhere is simply because pre-orders have accumulated before the deliveries have been made and swallowed the majority up.

There is now a few units here and there, but certainly not in any vast quantity.

Regarding refresh, yes there will be a new generation CPU version, in line with intels launch schedule - yet to be confirmed - but its not imminent.

(possibly a couple of screen variations/options)

AERO15X-CF2 - Back IN STOCK

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
odd behaviour with firefox browser in outlook webmail

Mozilla have fixed the outlook webmail issue with update 58.0.2

regards - So I have selected the ELAN TrackPad option - "Disable trackpad when an external USB pointing device is plugged in". This fixed the notepad cursor jumping problem.
So it seems selecting this option stopped my trackpad working at all, even when the wireless mouse dongle was removed and laptop rebooted. I have since de-selected this option and am training my palms to avoid the trackpad

Associate
Actually the new model should be out in mid April - at least in the US - it seems.
Various sources saying that

"You can research more on Core i7-8750H and it is rated at 45W TDP. You should see the next gen Aero 15X by mid of April and GIGABYTE said they will finalize the price and specs sometime in March."

Hopefully the thermals with the Intel Core i7-8750H will be okay - 2.6Ghz base vs 2.8Hz, but 2 extra cores.

Here's hoping the stiff keyboard and screen (backlight bleed and colour accuracy) issues will be sorted out with the upcoming version.

@Atom80 can you provide any input, given the cat it out of the bag with regard to the next version anyway?

Thanks

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Any idea when the next shipment will be delivered @Atom80?

Looks like I just missed the latest batch.

Thanks.

Hi @UTTER_FILTH ,,,,, oh dear,,, they came in, and went straight out fulfilling pre-orders.

Wont now be any more of the CF2 sku coming into OCUK, although there will be a "few" more units of the CF1 sku arriving in the next week or so, but unfortunately there isn't scheduled delivery to OCUK, as their orders have all been shipped now.

As mentioned above, new gen should be hitting the shelves Mid-End of April......

Hope that helps..

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hi @Atom80 ,

I appreciate that certain things are under NDA. Can you tell us which components will be different from the existing SKU's? Not the actual new components just which older ones are being replaced, cpu, screen, gpu, etc?

Cheers,

MiSJAH - AKA Mr AORUS :D

Soldato
If the keyboard and chassis/cooling is improved and a 120Hz screen is an option...... I might finally be swayed! Although saying that, all these mentions of dead/dying laptops doesn't fill me with confidence D:

Soldato
I'm glad the keyboard is one of the things that's mentioned in that teaser site (ghosting specifically!)

Very keen to see the full thing... maybe this time round I'll actually make a purchase :D

Back
Top Bottom