Recommend a ip camera please. Baby monitor

Soldato
Do you really need one?

Could you not get away with a £10 sound monitor?

We are having our second baby end of next month...not even considered a baby monitor as found with the first one it being a complete waste of money!

Commissario
Exactly what GinG has said. I find it quite abhorrent the way some companies seem to prey on the fear of new parents. You don’t need an all singing all dancing camera based baby monitor, no matter what they tell you. Something cheap with sound is perfectly sufficient.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Exactly what GinG has said. I find it quite abhorrent the way some companies seem to prey on the fear of new parents. You don’t need an all singing all dancing camera based baby monitor, no matter what they tell you. Something cheap with sound is perfectly sufficient.

Or just stand up and have a look in the bedroom once in a while?

Associate
I don't believe one is needed. The quality would never be good enough to see if something serious has happened like breathing stopped. All you can see is that your baby is still there.

We have a basic motorola monitor that has worked flawlessly. Battery lasts ages. It has some useless features like being able to play music, turn on a night light, timers for nappy changes and feeds, etc but we don't use any of that.

Associate
We've actually just bought a cheapy video monitor.

We never had one before but our 9 month old keeps rolling over in her sleep and can't get back - it's the only way to avoid inadvertently going in and causing more disruption.

Was £50 off amazon.

Our BT audio one was more than sufficient until this issue (which i imagine is just a phase). We'll go back to just audio then.

Associate
We use YI Home camera (1080p version), paid £35 on offer.
Works very well, 32GB card records about 3 days worth of video. Can alert you of movement, crying (all customisable) notifications, 2 way audio (not great), decent app.
We already have baby monitor, but wanted to see what our 1 year old boy is up to in bed.
Being adoptive parents we are probably more paranoid/worried than if he was our own biological child.
We use old ipad with app in our living room and its been quite handy for quickly checking on him.

Associate
Hik Vision Cube CCTV thingy
£90 night vision excellent, HD pic, iphone integrated apps

and you can definitely see breathing and if eyes are open

as for need one or not, current guidance is they should sleep supervised for first 6 months to reduce chance of cot death, so we use ours every evening

Soldato
We use YI Home camera (1080p version), paid £35 on offer.
Works very well, 32GB card records about 3 days worth of video. Can alert you of movement, crying (all customisable) notifications, 2 way audio (not great), decent app.
We already have baby monitor, but wanted to see what our 1 year old boy is up to in bed.
Being adoptive parents we are probably more paranoid/worried than if he was our own biological child.
We use old ipad with app in our living room and its been quite handy for quickly checking on him.
I bought one of these as well, although not as a baby monitor. I'm really impressed with it for the price. PTZ if you need it.

It would work very well as a baby monitor. Be aware that when stood upright the camera won't tilt downwards past the horizontal. It looks as though it should ideally be mounted upside down to give the best possible viewing options.

Soldato
...plus you can set up a skype account that only auto answers callers in the skype directory so that grannies and relatives can dial in to see the kids. Anyone not on the list trying to dial in gets auto rejected. If you're out and want to see if they are ok (with babysitter in house too) then you can also dial in to view the bedroom. Also if it's on your home wifi it's free to run.

Soldato
OP
Thanks everyone for your replies.

We already have a normal baby monitor that monitors audio which is fine.

We just liked the ip camera as gave us the ability to actually see what she was up to, not really for a safety point of view, just curiosity. As we can hear her chatting away to herself and then it is nice to see what she is up too.

So it was more a added on gimmick than anything along the 'safety' lines.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I have the Motorola MBP36XL and it has been perfect, the 5" screen is great day or night and you can see eyes open & chest breathing. The pan & scan is great, audio quality is spot on and picks up the slightest sound. It has a temperature monitor and also comes with a spider clamp style stand thingy so can attach to anything.

It was quite expensive when we got it but a quick Google shows mothercare have it on offer for £90! :eek:

Well worth it in my opinion.

https://www.mothercare.com/video/mo...bgains-_-Reevoo Limited-_-24528-_-1521876492_

Back
Top Bottom