• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

771 to 775 mod problems

Associate
Hi all,

Hopefully you can help me with some issues i'm having.

I wanted to upgrade my CPU to something a bit more powerful but was tight on budget, so found out that I could fit an Intel Xeon to replace my old Core 2 Duo. I bought a CPU that has been pre-modified so I didn't have to try fit the adaptor myself or cut the tabs out of my motherboard.

Fitted the new CPU (X5460) to my motherboard (ASUS P5P41D) with no issues and it boots to the bios and seems to recognise the new CPU with no issues and will allow me play with the settings.

However, when exiting the bios to boot into Windows (Windows 10) the blue Windows logo appears and then the computer seems to freeze, any lights on the keyboard go off and it doesn't progress to the log on screen or the system repair menu.

I have read a few bits that suggest that it may be due to the bios reset (done with the jumper) messing with the hard drive settings, but haven't had a chance to look at this.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting around this issue, could it be the hard drive not being properly recognised, if so, what can I do to fix this, or what other issues could it be?

Thanks,
Steve

Man of Honour
Might need a BIOS update to support that generation of CPUs and/or there could be microcode issues - the board will still attempt to boot the CPU but can't guarantee proper operation.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies.

The BIOS is the latest version for that motherboard and I’ve read a bit around updating the microcode, but it went a bit over my head.

I will see if I can change from IDE to AHCI and see if that is the issue.

As the PC won’t boot I’m going to have a harder time creating a USB key, but I do have an old laptop somewhere that should solve that problem if I need to try it.

Will try and have a look this evening and let you guys know what the outcome is.

Associate
Try disabling C-state related power saving options in the BIOS, particularly anything which enables the use of states C2, C3 and C4.

My own X5460 on a P5Q Pro will not run properly with the "Intel C-State Technology" setting enabled, though all other power saving and speedstep functionality works fine, C1E included.
With that setting enabled, it semi-locks-up, running extremely slowly and IIRC blue screened too.

If that isn't the cause, try a fresh install of Windows or a live linux distro from a USB stick / DVD.

Associate
Actually, I don't see any mention of the P5P41D on the delidded site; I presume you're still using the BIOS that came with the board, which may or may-not recognise the S771 processor properly.

The latest BIOS from the Asus website (ver 0404) includes microcodes for the consumer S775 variant of these processors (the Q9650 etc), but not for the S771 processors (X5460 etc).

The BIOS at the link below includes the microcodes for the two X5460 variants.
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=66384875373641389759

p5p41d-0404-ud is the updated BIOS should you feel brave enough to try it.
The source BIOS, microcode and tool are there too but you shouldn't need to touch them.

I can't verify whether the updated BIOS works or not as I don't have that board, so if you try it, its at your own risk!
You could potentially brick the board, however the procedure is the same as I and many others have used for our own S775 boards.

Associate
OP
Trying to boot from a Windows recovery USB and disabling power saving features did not make any change, still freezing when trying to boot Windows.

Will try the updated BIOS tomorrow night, if it kills the board then I’m sure I can pick another one up fairly cheaply as they aren’t exactly latest spec, plus I can ensure I get one that will work with the new CPU.

Associate
OP
I can't verify whether the updated BIOS works or not as I don't have that board, so if you try it, its at your own risk!
You could potentially brick the board, however the procedure is the same as I and many others have used for our own S775 boards.

Happy to report that it does work, PC now fully working again!!

Thanks for all your help :D

Back
Top Bottom