Tyres for fast road use

Soldato
Gents,

I need new hoops for this coming riding season. Bike is an Aprilia RSV Mille. I’ve been running Michelin Pilot Power 2CT’s for years. Can’t fault them. But tyre technology has moved on somewhat since the 2CT first came out so I’m looking for opinions on what else out there is worth a pop.

I hear good things about Metzeler M7RR’s. Power RS are supposed to be good and the new Road 5’s are intriguing.

What say you, OcUK bikers? :cool:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Pirelli SuperCorsa's are still the way to go, no? All the guys who can ride fast enough to keep them warm, run them.

Another one to throw into the mix that don't require as much input from the rider, to get it at its optimum operating temp are Rosso III's.

Soldato
I've used M7RRs and Power RS on the S1KRR and the new R1, both offer more than enough grip for even the fastest of road riding, M7RRs being the better of the two in the wet.

For me though i've been using Bridgestone and the S21s for the last 1k miles, absolutely fantastic rubber and more than enough for the road, even done a few trackdays on them and they've been fine, so much so that i'll be using them again at Cartagena in May.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
For me though i've been using Bridgestone and the S21s for the last 1k miles, absolutely fantastic rubber and more than enough for the road, even done a few trackdays on them and they've been fine, so much so that i'll be using them again at Cartagena in May.
What's the feedback like on them?

Soldato
OP
Really leaning towards the M7RR's. Been quoted £245 for a pair of Pilot Road 5's. Thats all inclusive and a ride in/ride out price. Waiting for the same mob to come back with quotes for the Metzelers and also Power RS.

Soldato
What's the feedback like on them?

Really good bud tbh, didn't expect them to feel as good as they do, i don't claim to be a feedback expert but always know what the front is doing and even giving it a handful on corner exit, you can feel the slide far more than on the anything else i've tried (minus SCs).

Soldato
OP
Local mob can do Michelin Power RS for £220 fully inclusive of fitting again on a ride in/ride out basis. That seems pretty good value to me. Anyone using the RS? Thoughts? My 2CT's generally last for anywhere between 2500-3000k miles so if I can eek that out of RS's I think I'd plump for them, subject to opinions on performance, feel and feedback? As I said, I'm not the fastest dude on the road but I'm not the slowest either. If the RS is anywhere as good as I feel the old 2CT's are then they should be good. Incidentally, same place can do 2CT's fully fitted for £200 so for an extra £20 the RS seems like a no brainer as its a newer technology tyre.

Soldato
M7RR for sure, even compared to Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas they are a world apart. Really predictable and confidence inspiring.

Excellent square off resistance also with the dual compound.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really leaning towards the M7RR's. Been quoted £245 for a pair of Pilot Road 5's. Thats all inclusive and a ride in/ride out price. Waiting for the same mob to come back with quotes for the Metzelers and also Power RS.

The road 5's are sports touring, geared more for commuting etc, I've just had a set fitted but use my SV650 mainly to get to work and back (although it's a nice run) and occasional weekend use.

From what you are saying don't think they would be the ideal choice as they are not a dedicated sports tyre.

Soldato
OP
Nah dude, going for Power RS. I don’t commute, fast weekend or midweek blasts only. I’m struggling to find anywhere online which will even supply Power RS pairs for £220 never mind fit them on a ride in/ride out basis so I think it’s a no brainer, the local deal I can get. Same lot want £270 for M7RR’s as they are primarily a Michelin dealer so can’t get cheap deals on Metz. Not sure the M7RR’s are worth £50 more given the reviews and comparisons I’ve read in the last few days.

Associate
Few years ago i ran Continental sport attacks, couldn't fault them, but i dont know how they compare to some of the suggestions above

Soldato
OP
So went through to Ride 'n' Fit in Paisley this afternoon to get new hoops fitted. Was supposed to be Michelin Power RS tyres but they had mistakenly ordered a 180/60 rear and it wouldn't fit because my gearing changes to sprockets meant there was no clearance between the tyre and swing arm. So went for my second choice, Michelin Road 5's with a 180/55 rear.

Got home after a return ride in pretty cold and wet weather and had a look at the bike. Something doesn't quite seem right. :D:p:eek:

IMG_5258.jpg

IMG_5259.jpg

Soldato
Sport touring rubber ftw, anyone who believes they need sporty rubber for the road is a weekend warrior or doesn't touch a wet road. Even weekend warriors will find value in ST rubber, people think they are better than they are. You don't need track rubber for the road

Sport touring rubber is fantastic, pr5 will do you proud.

Back
Top Bottom