NHS paydeal 6.5% over three years and upwards.

Associate
I just wish there was an alternative. When are we going to accept as a country that the NHS has already failed.

there is an alternative to NHS, private

friend of the family has just had a triple heart bypass privately in Manchester as they found the waiting time unacceptable

its costing £20,000 and and follow up will cost, any extra medications cost, any complication will cost more.
Oh and all the staff treating her will be on a higher wage than the NHS.

I think the average person has no idea how much private care costs.

Want better care? fund the NHS safely and pay the staff fairly

Man of Honour
there is an alternative to NHS, private

friend of the family has just had a triple heart bypass privately in Manchester as they found the waiting time unacceptable

its costing £20,000 and and follow up will cost, any extra medications cost, any complication will cost more.
Oh and all the staff treating her will be on a higher wage than the NHS.

I think the average person has no idea how much private care costs.

Want better care? fund the NHS safely and pay the staff fairly

Bring insurance into the picture and private care is manageable for most and those people will get much better care. Will everyone afford it - no. Then we just add a support package to those few. As it stands at the moment - there is no access to decent care and many thousands are being harmed or are dying as a result. Even with private healthcare in this country, if I become ill or am in an accident I am at the mercy of the NHS. If you end up like my dad you get left in an ambulance garage due to lack of beds.

Throwing money at the NHS achieves nothing. It is all lost to bosses at the top and admin losses. There is little incentive to change this.

Private care costs a small fortune, but at least if you can afford it you get excellent care and are placed in conditions that aid mental well being rather than the dismal hospitals that we have in this country.

Associate
So adding a new tier of insurance staff/costs will make it cheaper?

we are currently being modeled on the American system - hence out secretary of health spending a lot of time there.
They have a much worse health care system than us, unless you can afford it.
It just adds to create a health inequality as well as a financial inequality and generally makes social cohesion worse.

Oh and the pay rise is poor and long overdue

Man of Honour
So adding a new tier of insurance staff/costs will make it cheaper?

we are currently being modeled on the American system - hence out secretary of health spending a lot of time there.
They have a much worse health care system than us, unless you can afford it.
It just adds to create a health inequality as well as a financial inequality and generally makes social cohesion worse.

Oh and the pay rise is poor and long overdue

Lots of people have an insurance package through their workplace as a lot of organisations have incentives e.g. gym facilities that lower insurance costs. If you can afford it and you are unwell the service is crazily good - access to equipment and medication that we don't. When I used to have lunch in a hospital dining room it was the equivalent to a 4/5 star hotel, such good food (as were the other facilities). In the current state of the NHS the number of people dying due to poor care in percentage terms is probably close to that of the people who can't afford it in the US. Either way, something needs to change.

Associate
I still think you have no idea how much it costs for NHS care, and private costs more.
The issue with the NHS isnt quality of care in general it how far stretched services are.
We have one of the lowest number of doctors and nurses per head in the developed world.

Out of interest how much would you seem reasonable to pay (for the average person) for lifetime health care?

Man of Honour
I still think you have no idea how much it costs for NHS care, and private costs more.
Out of interest how much would you seem reasonable to pay (for the average person) for lifetime health care?

I have a good idea having seen the receipts that several of my colleagues had in the states, especially one who had been in a car accident and was still paying for it well into his 40s. That said, I would still rather pay it and have access to better medication and procedures. Look at heart bypass surgery, we still make an incision from the top of the leg to the bottom in order to harvest a vein - in the states they have the equipment that means this can be done with keyhole surgery. I would happily pay a lot of money to not be in the position that my dad was where a) they missed a brain tumour leading to a stroke and b) when he had the stroke couldn't access hospital facilities for 4 hours.

Probably in a lifetime, on average, easily between £150-200k minimum. Frankly I don't think there is a price you can put on health, you don't have anything else without it!

Man of Honour
This always bugs me when people say "The NHS xyz". The NHS is a conglomeration of independent organisations drawing from a central fund. There is no "THE" in "NHS". My organisation for instance has nothing to do with the rest of the NHS. I am responsible for our IT systems and nothing else. I know I'm being pedantic but when you say "THE NHS IT systems", which are you talking about? ESR? Patient Records? Doctors surgery systems? etc etc.

Today I have been using Filefast, WABA, Medisec, Medway, iCris, ICE, K2, Renal CTX, DATIX, iPortal, EDRM, Kodak OPG, Somerset and several other systems that all contain patient data but probably no other Trust uses them but variations of their own. It is mad.

Soldato
Re: Teachers - looking like any teacher below M6 will likely see 7% over 3 years with NQT and M1 bands increasing immediately by 5% to aid recruitment.

Anyone at M6 or on leadership scale look likely to be stuck with the existing 1%, so doesn't really do anything to aid retention which is another big issue in teaching.

Of course, if you're an academy you could be **** out of luck as they don't have to follow the NPF.
I'm an NQT currently. Any extra pay is welcome as I have a baby due in July :D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Looks like they are giving in one hand and clawing it back in another. http://www.nhsemployers.org/-/media...hash=DBBB10AC268973D48C8951EBB40F53E5A6CF7CAA

4.3 The new pay progression system will:
a. enable staff in Bands 2-7 to reach the top of their pay band more quickly
b. describe minimum periods of time before progression to the next pay-step point
c. not be automatic
d. give staff the opportunity to demonstrate they have met the required standards, including appraisals
e. require line managers and staff to follow the pay-step submission process (described in the pay progression framework document) in order to access the next pay-step point
f. require employers to provide information to enable the NHS Staff Council to undertake monitoring of pay progression and re-earnable pay in relation to employees with protected characteristics.

Lol - well that's an end to pay progression then. Sounds like a couple of academy schools round here that have moved away form the NPF and no longer do pay progression unless you're licking the **** are the chief exec.

Soldato
Lol - well that's an end to pay progression then. Sounds like a couple of academy schools round here that have moved away form the NPF and no longer do pay progression unless you're licking the **** are the chief exec.
Can you imagine what the document that they have sent to senior managers looks like, not to pay anyone anymore for years.

Soldato
6.5% over 3 years is terrible. I am hoping to get a 6.5% increase this year

Everyone who work for the NHS constantly moan how rubbish the pay is, how bad the hours are and how understaffed they are (my mum and girlfriend being prime examples) However, they continue to work there :confused:

Am I being illogical in my thinking that if it's that bad, then just leave

Back
Top Bottom