**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S9/S9 Plus Thread ****

Associate
If you have it tracked as delivered to them then it's on them to sort it. Personally prefer to deal face to face in store to try to avoid these **** ups. They (CPW) are daft enough without courier firms and some imbecile signing for it at their end then forgetting about it.

I traded an S7 in last year at carphone. It had the camera lens replaced but from then on every photo was very soft. Anyway, signed a form and assistant then said to me that it was now too late to change my mind and could not have the S7 back! ..... "Fair enough" :D

Associate
Well, I wish I hadn't purchased the S9+ through Carphone Warehouse - they've managed to lose the S7 Edge I've traded in despite having a tracking number that shows it as delivered & now nobody seems to know what's happening with the free 128gb SD card that was supposedly going to be sent separately for SIM only purchases.

The sd cards weren't sent separately , I got my s9 sim free from CPW and the sd card came in the same package as the phone.

Soldato
I've done quite a bit reading on the tempered glass and majority of them don't seem to work or if they do then not for long as it starts to come off the sides. Have read that the screens for the phones aren't identical in shape due to the curve hence why the tempered glass doesn't stay on perfectly. The only one which seems to do well is the whitestone dome protector.
I've gone for the Spigen Neo Flex which is just a flexible film.

Case wise i've got a flip cover which I got for a few quid on ebay as a temp one, i'm probably going to go for the Samsung Hyperknit case. EE have it for £22 whereas everywhere else seems to have it for £29.

The Neo Flex went on a dream, thanks for the recommendation

Soldato
I did with my spigen neo film, Never used a wet film before and found it pretty awkward at first and used the whole solution on the first go. Ruined that one after repeated attempts to get the bits that stuck to it off but the second go was better. it looked awful at first but was much better after 24hrs.

Associate
What is in the return pack that samsung send? Just a return address label or something?
Comes in an envelope with a folded up plastic bag with the instructions. You need to find a small box, they say ideally use the original phone box and place it inside the bag and take it to the post office. If trade in up to £100 use the free shipping label and get certificate of posting. If over £100 you'll need to use the other label marked Special Delivery and pay £7.25 at the Post Office counter when you post it off. The Returns labels have your unique trade in ref number, barcode, name and address on too. You'll be given a receipt with the tracking number on it.

Soldato
Well, you guys have made me get the S9+ through the Samsung upgrade programme. Normally I buy outright and keep my phone for a few years, but hey-ho life is short and I'll soon see if this upgrade thing is worth it.

Mobster
Soldato
Hmm..Do you mind sharing your working out?

About to make a fool out of myself I suspect but here we go.

Upgrade Programme: (£32.58 per month * 12) + £86.90 = £477.86 over 12 months
Outright: £869 - £380 [this is around the cost of a pre-owned S8+ on eBay, so I'm making an assumption here] = £489 over 12 months

So there isn't a lot in it admittedly but it is a bit cheaper. Of course you might get a lot more for your S9+ in a year, I have no idea. But it's not outrageously more like buying on a contract is.

Soldato
About to make a fool out of myself I suspect but here we go.

Upgrade Programme: (£32.58 per month * 12) + £86.90 = £477.86 over 12 months
Outright: £869 - £380 [this is around the cost of a pre-owned S8+ on eBay, so I'm making an assumption here] = £489 over 12 months

So there isn't a lot in it admittedly but it is a bit cheaper. Of course you might get a lot more for your S9+ in a year, I have no idea. But it's not outrageously more like buying on a contract is.

Oh interesting. I guess another advantage is that you don't have to sell on ebay and get scammed.

Associate
Coming from a Note 4 and I am finding my S9+ heavy.
Notice the weight during normal use but on a video call last night and became uncomfortable to continue to hold in 1 hand.
Missing the N4....

Soldato
I swapped from an HTC U11 and loving the S9 on the whole (better size for me, and 3.5mm headphone jack!). However it's really annoying that notifications aren't linked to the ring volume, it means if you're in a meeting or something then you have to manually adjust both. I've found a couple of apps that appear to link the volume, however they seem to put notifications on to vibrate when the ringer is silent.

Also, another annoyance is that I can't get rid of the pop up window for WhatsApp, despite changing the settings in both the app and the system settings. The different settings seem to clash with each other. What I was is that my WhatsApp groups just put a notification at the top, and nothing else, no vibrate or no window and despite selecting that in the settings they always seem to come back. Anyone else have the same? I'm using the WhatsApp beta so maybe I'll feedback there as well.

Associate
I swapped from an HTC U11 and loving the S9 on the whole (better size for me, and 3.5mm headphone jack!). However it's really annoying that notifications aren't linked to the ring volume, it means if you're in a meeting or something then you have to manually adjust both. I've found a couple of apps that appear to link the volume, however they seem to put notifications on to vibrate when the ringer is silent.

Also, another annoyance is that I can't get rid of the pop up window for WhatsApp, despite changing the settings in both the app and the system settings. The different settings seem to clash with each other. What I was is that my WhatsApp groups just put a notification at the top, and nothing else, no vibrate or no window and despite selecting that in the settings they always seem to come back. Anyone else have the same? I'm using the WhatsApp beta so maybe I'll feedback there as well.

I used Sound Profile app which you can alter the levels for both and also schedule a time/s of day that they come into effect. I have quiet mode at work and normal at home. I can select Night mode which stops alerts but can still ring in an emergency or to stop all I just select silent. You can preset the volumes, tones etc and so much more. I don't have to change between the volume levels manually unless I want to as I preset it to change to quiet when I leave for each day and back to higher level when I go home and what ever you want. You can also change your ringtone, wifi on/off, vibration, Bluetooth, screen brightness etc depending on the times.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used Sound Profile app which you can alter the levels for both and also schedule a time/s of day that they come into effect. I have quiet mode at work and normal at home. I can select Night mode which stops alerts but can still ring in an emergency or to stop all I just select silent. You can preset the volumes, tones etc and so much more. I don't have to change between the volume levels manually unless I want to as I preset it to change to quiet when I leave for each day and back to higher level when I go home and what ever you want. You can also change your ringtone, wifi on/off, vibration, Bluetooth, screen brightness etc depending on the times.
Thanks Andy, I'll give it a go :up:

Associate
Thanks Andy, I'll give it a go :up:
The free version will give you 5 options of profiles, the paid for version gives you the other 2. I find it useful that if you go into a meeting or somewhere where you don't want your phone going ping or ringing every few minutes you can very quickly pull down from the top and with a single press change it to silent. As long as you have saved in the silent profile no volume, no vibration etc etc it will set everything to that. Then you just do the same to reverse when meeting finished or if you forget it will change to the setting you have chosen at the scheduled time you have set. It is very flexible. I used it on the S7E and maybe even the S5.

Back
Top Bottom