OCUK founder Spie passes away

Associate
I was genuinely shocked to read this news. So young. :(

My condolences to you and your family.

He built up an outstanding business and a great community too with these forums, which are the only place I regularly post.

RIP.

Soldato
RIP Mark, and my condolences to his family. My thoughts are with you.

Lurked this forum for years now (pre-nuke..), so just want to extend my appreciation for the community he had a massive hand in creating all those years ago. A brilliant legacy.

Soldato
Condolences :( Just seen this, thoughts are with family and friends.

What an achievement he has though, building a solid market leader business and a loyal community to go with it and seeing it through to next hands, I have seen the community grow throughout the years. I have used other forums for hobbies which have phased in and out, but I have always had an attachment to this place even though im not on here too often these days.

You had brought a lot of people together, aswel as doing business.

Soldato
I can remember walking in and Pete was testing those Celeron 300a's to see how fast they could go and then they were sold in 4 flavours I think.
Standard 300, then something like 345, 395 & 412 - I had one that went at 345 because I couldn't afford the extra (can't remember the exact speeds).
And correct me because I'm probably wrong but wasn't that around the time Mark started advertising on the web because they were the first main chips that could be overclocked?

Pretty much the chips which kicked off the overclocking scene, the good ones did 450 :)

Soldato
I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you, your family, and Spie's friends and co-workers.

OcUK and this forum especially have brought me support, technical and otherwise, in the many years since I've joined.

OcUK and the OcUK forum have helped shape the PC enthusiast community in the UK. And long before Facebook, these forums were a gathering space for many of us. And I still have the little black plastic OcUK box that my pre-unlocked AMD Duron CPU came in.

RIP Spie.

Soldato
I just saw the news, that's awful. I have never met Mark, but his wit on the forums back in his posting days were spot on. I hope you and your family are well. Godspeed.

Soldato
Pretty much the chips which kicked off the overclocking scene, the good ones did 450 :)

My first use of OCUK that I remember was the AMD chips that you had to 'colour in' the top with a HB pencil and it bridged some connection and allowed it to overclock. Came as part of a kit and instructions on the forum, etc very nice for your basic home user wanting a good setup

Back
Top Bottom