Far Cry 5

Caporegime
I’ve got a Samsung ks8000 and hdr is fantastic. Colours much richer than sdr and a huge difference between bright highlights and dark. Guess it depends on the tv how good it does or doesn’t look.

I just thought being a Sony Bravia it wouldn’t be a steaming pile of **** but maybe I’ve bought a lemon? :p

Associate
I just thought being a Sony Bravia it wouldn’t be a steaming pile of **** but maybe I’ve bought a lemon? :p

I've got a Sony XD80 and Far Cry 5 doesn't look right on it either, the blacks look very grey. It was similar on Assassins creed origins too. Other HDR games like Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted etc. are fine it just seems to be Ubisoft titles.

Soldato
They all look fine on my LG B6, Origins looks stunning. Far Cry is not the greatest usage of HDR with its super bright exaggerated when going from indoors to outdoors. Have you tried adjusting the in game brightness settings ? The colours and black levels all are ok for me.

Might be the way Sony TV’s implement HDR ?

Associate
That's OK I hadn't taken in that way, just meant it was definitely not the TV. I would be interested to hear what you find when you try it tonight, I know some people just don't notice that sort of thing unless it's pointed out but seem to spot it straight it away and then it probably annoys me more by looking for it. I'm also using the Project Scorpio Edition which hasn't been without its issues but seemed to get better after a while, if it is a problem with that then I'll want to get it sorted but I doubt it is.

When I was playing it last night it very much reminded me of Wildlands, probably more Wildlands than Farcry. I can also understand the progression system on an MMO but not so much on what is basically a single player/co-op game, especially if both people played from the start together. It would make more sense for you not being able to play a mission if you have not unlocked the previous missions or something like that.

Reporting back and safe to say, since I was informed about it that there is some noticeable tearing on the 3D Map. It's not obtrusive to the point the map becomes a visual annoyance but it is there - obviously wasn't looking for it before :p. You have my apologies good sir!

Seems to be cured by not moving around the map as quick to keep the refresh rate on an even keel. If only the rumoured freesync updates for TV's and the X could come sooner :rolleyes:. Running 30fps on a TV with a significantly higher refresh rate has these well known drawbacks. Good thing the tearing isn't experience in actual gameplay.

Shawrey

Soldato
Reporting back and safe to say, since I was informed about it that there is some noticeable tearing on the 3D Map. It's not obtrusive to the point the map becomes a visual annoyance but it is there - obviously wasn't looking for it before :p. You have my apologies good sir!

Seems to be cured by not moving around the map as quick to keep the refresh rate on an even keel. If only the rumoured freesync updates for TV's and the X could come sooner :rolleyes:. Running 30fps on a TV with a significantly higher refresh rate has these well known drawbacks. Good thing the tearing isn't experience in actual gameplay.

Shawrey

Thanks for reporting back, at least I know it is there and not just me. I just need to train my brain to forget about it now :)

Cheers

Caporegime

Shawrey

The Freesync thing for TVs wont be an update, it needs HDMI 2.1 for that, and AFAIK there are no 2018 TVs with HDMI 2.1 coming.

Caporegime
Played a few more hours of this last night and really enjoying it so far. The world feels much more 'alive' than other Far Cry games, more going on etc.

The only negative i've had so far is a funky issue where a helicopter crashed through a building roof and the FPS went choppy until I moved out of the area. Oh, and as part of the gold pack I got a bunch of guns that've almost trivialised the money/weapon upgrade aspect of the game. I already have an awesome pistol, .50 sniper rifle and a bow which is all I use.

Edit: Something else, the co-op feels a bit of a let down as the player joining your game doesn't get any progression.

Caporegime
It's almost too alive. I don't think you can stand still for more than 20 seconds without being attacked by an animal, or a car appearing full of militia people, or a helicopter spotting you.

Caporegime
Being brutally honest you bought a cheap TV, HDR won’t be impressive.

That’s probably it but I read a few reviews beforehand and while it’s not 4K it’s meant to be one of the better 1080p screens going off what I’d read! TV, especially upscaling and Blu-Ray looks good but the couple of games I’ve tried don’t look any better than my older Panasonic.

GT Sport was a huge disappointment, when enabling HDR using the in-game setting it makes the black menus look grey and washed out, as if when the setting is switched off that looks more like HDR.

Associate
The Freesync thing for TVs wont be an update, it needs HDMI 2.1 for that, and AFAIK there are no 2018 TVs with HDMI 2.1 coming.

Good shout on HDMI 2.1 being required. No choice then but to hope that some 2019 screens have it and the residuals are good on my 2017 LG c7 to sell on for an upgrade.

I'm not going to buy a Freesync monitor for the sake of it to stick on my PC desk along with the X, I may as well just start gaming on PC again which means more upgrade itches! I much prefer chilling out laying down on my nice comfy memory foam bed then sit on a chair - especially as I do that for 9hrs a day at work :o.

Shawrey

Caporegime
That’s probably it but I read a few reviews beforehand and while it’s not 4K it’s meant to be one of the better 1080p screens going off what I’d read! TV, especially upscaling and Blu-Ray looks good but the couple of games I’ve tried don’t look any better than my older Panasonic.

GT Sport was a huge disappointment, when enabling HDR using the in-game setting it makes the black menus look grey and washed out, as if when the setting is switched off that looks more like HDR.

Sadly from my research and reading the very helpful posts on AVForums about HDR on TVs it seems like unless you spend good money £1k plus HDR is often not worth it at all.

This is the thread I read over:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-best-value-tvs-2017-edition.2120104/

Caporegime
Basically that is true, yeah. I mean you can get a decent Samsung Q6F for about £850 at the moment with decent HDR, but you do have to spend that sort of money or higher.

And HDR is generally more important for picture quality than 4K IMO.

If you are having trouble try and adjust the paper white HDR setting in the game.

Caporegime
Soldato
It's almost too alive. I don't think you can stand still for more than 20 seconds without being attacked by an animal, or a car appearing full of militia people, or a helicopter spotting you.

I also find it too alive, to the point that it is annoying. Last night I started at my base, walked out on to the road and a white pickup with enemies arrived within seconds, while killing them another white pickup arrived with more enemies, and again and again... I'm pretty sure it would have continued all night if I'd not got fed up and ran into the woods. I was in the woods for a second and got attacked by an animal, then another and then guess what a white pickup arrived on the road just below and started shooting at me.

It makes me laugh that the enemies can spot you when you are walking through woodlands yet you take down an enemy at their feet and they have no idea you are there.

Really not feeling anything for this game at the moment :(

Associate
Yes you’re not gonna get much change from 1k for a tv that can do hdr justice. Definitely worth it though as 4K isn’t much of a big deal but hdr has taken games to another level imo.

Caporegime
I know bugger all about this game but reading through the posts about enemy respawn it sounds annoying. That was the way it was in Far Cry 2 and then for 3 onwards (or 4 onwards) after you'd conquered an outpost, the land around it was mostly free of enemies. So they've gone back to Far Cry 2 and continual spawning now? Crap.

jpm

jpm

Associate
I also find it too alive, to the point that it is annoying.

I agree it can get annoying, I don't see why they got an automatic drive option that takes you to the way point when you gotta stop every 10 seconds because of the white pick ups. They end up ramming me so gotta get out and fight.

But I am also enjoying the game. Love taking out Outposts undetected and finding and figuring out the loot stashes.

Back
Top Bottom